Thread: Holy muffle rings batman!

User Info Menu

Default Holy muffle rings batman!

I just picked up some remO's from music123.com at a very good price. I dont know if anyone else goes thru them but Im in Ohio so the midwest is a 1-2 day shipment so its a bonus ordered from them in Indiana. But their heads and gear are usually $2-10 cheaper than samash and muscians friend.

I have some cheap OSP drums via Ebay and I ordered some clear pinstripe heads for the toms. I slapped the muffle rings on the oem single ply plastic heads first just to see how it sounded and WOW! Talk about 20000% improvement heh. I had put some napkins and tape on them before just to see if they were even tunable and I figured there was no hope and I was right, regardless they sounded trashy. But with remo's rings I think you could use almost any crappy head and tune around it. So if this my review, they get a 12 out of 10! Im sure 99% of the people on the forum already know how great evans and remo rings are but I had forgotten just how great they were. Now Im wondering how incredible the pinstripes can sound. I should get out the camera and do some vids of before and after and post them to youtube or something. Anyway just wanted to say remO's rock my world! Every little extra tuning plus gets me more excited about playing again.

User Info Menu

yea..good heads with muffling make a world of difference..u have like no reverberations

User Info Menu

I have remO's! They really help with fills.

User Info Menu

That's funny... I made my own "ring" for the new snare. Cut out the black dot on an old Remo head (cut the rim off too )and slapped it on the new snare... took the overtone away and now the drum sounds awesome!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

(just smile and nod, and pretend you understand)

User Info Menu

I think i get it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

glad to hear you found your own invention!

User Info Menu

Yea save your old heads and you can cut your own rings out of them. No additional cost.

User Info Menu

I'm confused...why does this make it sound better?
    Drum noviceness here.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

The edges of the heads produce a slightly higher tone than the center of the head. By placing a ring around the edge of the head, it dampens the "overtones," and gives a lower overall tone.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Right, so it means they sound the same no matter what part of the drum you strike?
    Well I was usually hitting the centre anyway but that would help, thanks.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

ETF, with an unmuffled head even if you strike the center of the drum you'll get the sound of the overtones coming from the edges. Some drummers like the overtones, and some like to muffle them. It all depends on how you like your sound. I've seen Funky posting that during a live stage performance the overtones are essential to creating the sound that is heard by the audience. You'd have to ask him more about that, though, since I have no experience with that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I find that when I practice in my small practice room at home I need the muffling rings to keep the high frequencies from bouncing off the walls. I also put moon gell on my ride Cymbal at home for the same purpose. I find that playing in the larger space at church it isn't as much of a problem.

User Info Menu

In a studio setting a lot of people like the muffling as well. For my purpose right now Im practicing in the basement and the overtones are hideous! The difference is night and day on these crap heads. When I change the junk heads out and put on the pinstripes its possible I may not need the muffle rings on every head. But you can also change how the head responds by tuning the bottom head. If you go too tight on the bottom head it chokes the toms regardless what pitch you are going for. So you can loosen then a touch and use the rings on the batter heads to "fill the room". Every live setting is different, its just trial and error.