Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soundproofing

User Info Menu

Unhappy Soundproofing

Hi Everyone! I am in a wee bit of a pickle. I am moving to a semi-detached housem soon, and I am wondering if anyone here has any soundproofing methods to help keep the noise level of the drums down a bit.

Keep in mind, this is a rented house, so i can't go knocking walls and putting in soundproofing, but if anyone ou there has any temporary soundproofing methods, I would be much obliged...

thanks guys and girls
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Foam!!! Not styrofoam, but the spongy stuff!!

User Info Menu

You can tape it to the walls.

User Info Menu

carpet. No damage to the walls. A few nails which can always be puttied up and painted when you pull the carpet down and the owners would never know the difference. Or persian rugs are really good too and can also look pretty cool

User Info Menu

Use silencing pads.......

User Info Menu

Easy cheap option - mute pads for your drums - or get an electronic kit too. Hang rugs or something similar from the walls and then just repair any nail holes as sugegsted by livewire. Ummmmmmmmmm use a garage or screw everyone and just play loud and proud! and if they don't like it - tough!
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Ah, the voice of reason! Way to go, DC and CMWP! The cheapest way to muffle the drums is to get some drum and cymbal mutes. That way you can play whenever you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

mute pads are very very handy but nothing compares to the sound and feel of playing the heads bare. If you can avoid the mute pads and soundproof the room without it needing a renovation afterwards, I would go that option

User Info Menu

Yeah, I am thinking of playing between 3 and 6 on weekends only if i can't get a soundproofing option.

As always though, Drum Chat comes up trumps, and i think I will be nailing some carpet to the walls, and putting foam over that then too... that oughta really make a difference. thanks guys and girls
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Yeah i dont like that...... I cant believe my post didnt work :S

Im making some deffuser boards. Pretty much a Big sheet of that ply wood that has the holes in it.... Kinda like the backing board to the shelves in shops. Egg cartons and or proper tiles.... And Thick blankets.
    Iwas gonna mounth egg cartons on and cover with a thick blanket..... Ultimately i should just use thick blankets on wall but i wanna know if this works better... If it does. Portable defusers that hang like pictures. Just need a pitcure bracket in the wall tha your landie should be ok with if they aint mean.

First try old foam matresses and thick blankets against the walls and windows. My mates did that for their band. It dulled their PA'd band to a mild loud stereo. So just one drum kit would be even better :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Simple Soundproofing

Hi,

An easy method of soundproofing is to put bookcases against all the walls and fill them with paperbacks from charity shops. This will cut down the external sound dramatically and give you something to read at the same time.

All the best,

Paul.

User Info Menu

Wat i used to use is egg cartons!
    Works a treat! just get all ur mates to save the egg cartons for a month or 2 and just stick them to the walls and there u go!
    cheers
    cam

User Info Menu

what way DO EGG CARTONS GO!?!?!? ahhh facing inwards or outwards..

User Info Menu

I don't think it makes a difference which way they face, as long as they all face the same way. It's about creating air space, along with the egg carton barrier, that creates the sound barrier.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Is there anything you don't know PB? You're either a smart dude or you are the google king!

User Info Menu

Science major, in college, DC! I still remember a few things. Although it get harder every year!

User Info Menu

I wish I could say the same thing, no college education here, but I am the Google Queen!

User Info Menu

Formal education or not, it's all about knowing the stuff you need to know. I believe that Google can get it done, too!

User Info Menu

Actually the egg cartons should to do that the inside where the egg sits should face out from the wall.

User Info Menu

Thats what our electrical lecturer says. We dont have to know anything!

He only expects us to find it in the books :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    Actually the egg cartons should to do that the inside where the egg sits should face out from the wall.
    Actually, I might not be a smart as I thought!!!!

User Info Menu

so you mean the part were the egg sits in should be facing outwards on the wall? sorry didnt quit catch that

User Info Menu

Yep, that's what EP said. I just read an article, though, that said that egg cartons do little to soundproof a room. They will cut down on reflected sound to create a better recording sound in the room, but that's about all. The article said that distance and mass are the required parameters for soundproofing.

Someone recommended, in another thread, that bookcases filled with books work well for soundproofing. According to what the article said, that makes a lot of sense, and should be relatively cheap if you check out gargage sales for old paperback book, and bookcases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yep, that's what EP said. I just read an article, though, that said that egg cartons do little to soundproof a room. They will cut down on reflected sound to create a better recording sound in the room, but that's about all. The article said that distance and mass are the required parameters for soundproofing.

Someone recommended, in another thread, that bookcases filled with books work well for soundproofing. According to what the article said, that makes a lot of sense, and should be relatively cheap if you check out gargage sales for old paperback book, and bookcases.
    That's correct.

User Info Menu

Hm..... Egg cartons spikey side out makes sence. Disperses the sound out more.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters