Thread: ludwig epic euro shell pack

User Info Menu

Default ludwig epic euro shell pack

hi all
    i was on ludwigs website and saw this

it costs around $900
    i think it has maple shells but im not sure.
    so my question is do you know anything about this kit?
    im looking for a new kit with this sorta configuration.
    also if you have anything else in mind thats along those lines that is a bit cheaper let me know
    any info would be appreciated.
    thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: ludwig epic euro shell pack

They are real nice looking kits! The shells are 2ply birch inner, 2ply maple middle, and 2ply birch outer.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

thanks deebus
    i was wondering, would that mean that they would be more bright or am i mistaken?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBeans View Post
    thanks deebus
    i was wondering, would that mean that they would be more bright or am i mistaken?
    More bright than all maple, and less bright than all birch.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

thanks and do you know if all epic series drums have the same shells but just different sizes?
    also is there any pic of this drum in any other finish on the internet because i have not seen one other pic other than the one in the link and is there a reason why they'r so rare? is there another kit in the same price range that is so much better?
    thanks in advance

User Info Menu

CB, you might also want to take a look at the Gretsch Catalina kit, and the Mapex Meridian kit. Both of those come in at a little under your $900 figure.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey CoolBeans, I own a Ludwig Epic set in Black to Natural Burst. When I had bought them, I replaced the stock clear Ludwig heads on the toms and bass drum with white Remo Coated Ambassador heads. I'd done this so that I would have a specific "jazz set"....mind you I can also set it up in a number of ways, with one, two or three rack toms.

My Ludwig Epic set in Black Burst To Natural Fade, with Antique Bronze Hardware. Stands are mostly Tamas, with a DW hi-hat stand and bass drum pedal.

As for sizes, the bass drums range from 18" through to 24" (in a variety of depths from 16" to 20"....so you can have an 18x16" like what I have, a 24x16", 20x18", 22x18" or 22x20" and so on), rack toms vary from 8x7" (diameter/depth) through to 13x10" (once again with varieties of diameters vs depths), floor toms range from 14" to 18", snare drums are either 13x5" (with the 'Jazzette' model in the Epic range) through to the 14" snare in variety of depths from 5" right through to 7". They even have offered a few kits with a 10x6" effects snare as an 'add on'. In fact, there are 5 or more 'basic configurations' that the Epics come in.....'Jazzette', 'Pro Beat', 'Euro Shell', 'Funk Shell', 'Power Shell' and maybe one or two others. But what's great is that they can do add ons part of your order, so that if like me, you wanted some extra drums or some sizes that are not part of the particular configuration you like, they can do those....if you're prepared to wait, that is.

Another view...

Before I ordered this particular kit I also had tried a similar set in Attic White. The kit at the drum shop was configured in what Ludwig called the "Jazzette"......an 18" bass drum, 12" rack tom, 13" snare and 14" floor tom. That one also had the clear Ludwig stock heads on them.

Ludwig Epic in Attic White, the first one I was looking at, when it was at one store.

As for the sound.......basically it had, even with clear heads, a fairly bright cutting sound when tuned up high (which was what I was seeking in the first place), yet when tuned to medium low, surpisingly even the small 18" bass drum and small toms have a nice mid-range to somewhat low punch, possibly because of the composite birch/maple/birch shell plies. The shop also had a leftover 8" tom in the same Attic White finish, but from another drumset, which the client wanted all the other drums except the 8". So, at that time, a friend of mine who was working there said that I could also order a 10" Ludwig Epic tom in Attic White from the company, but would have to wait for a while. I was hoping to do that, so that I would have a complete 8", 10" 12" and 14" tom set up with a small 18" bass drum and 13" snare. BUT that very month, Ludwig decided to discontinue the Attic White finish, much to my disappointment. However, Billy Hydes, the chain store here in Sydney that I was dealing with, were very kind to transfer the deposit I paid on the Attic White kit that I paid for at my local Parramatta store to the one in Black Burst to Natural finish in the Surry Hills store (a big thank you to my mate Nick Pansini at Parramatta and to the one and only Nik Downing at Surry Hills, both legends for doing that!). I get nothing but compliments on the sound and looks of this set. The snare just has a great crisp sound to it, perfect for delicate to loud press rolls when cranked up a bit, which is how I usually like some snares anyway. But the whole set is a joy to play and to look at.

And how they sound?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_7bwkOaH_U"]Ludwig Commando Video #12: Epic Series Drums in ProBeat Configuration - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 11-14-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBeans View Post
    thanks deebus
    actually maple is more lively than birch. adding the maple will give more ring than an all birch kit. the birch will make them a little flatter than an all maple kit. that's why companies like yamaha and pearl use birch for thier recording series drums. the birch has less ring = better for recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Hey CoolBeans, I own a Ludwig Epic set in Black to Natural Burst. When I had bought them, I replaced the stock clear Ludwig heads on the toms and bass drum with white Remo Coated Ambassador heads. I'd done this so that I would have a specific "jazz set"....mind you I can also set it up in a number of ways, with one, two or three rack toms.

My Ludwig Epic set in Black Burst To Natural Fade, with Antique Bronze Hardware. Stands are mostly Tamas, with a DW hi-hat stand and bass drum pedal.

As for sizes, the bass drums range from 18" through to 24" (in a variety of depths from 16" to 20"....so you can have an 18x16" like what I have, a 24x16", 20x18", 22x18" or 22x20" and so on), rack toms vary from 8x7" (diameter/depth) through to 13x10" (once again with varieties of diameters vs depths), floor toms range from 14" to 18", snare drums are either 13x5" (with the 'Jazzette' model in the Epic range) through to the 14" snare in variety of depths from 5" right through to 7". They even have offered a few kits with a 10x6" effects snare as an 'add on'. In fact, there are 5 or more 'basic configurations' that the Epics come in.....'Jazzette', 'Pro Beat', 'Euro Shell', 'Funk Shell', 'Power Shell' and maybe one or two others. But what's great is that they can do add ons part of your order, so that if like me, you wanted some extra drums or some sizes that are not part of the particular configuration you like, they can do those....if you're prepared to wait, that is.

Another view...

Before I ordered this particular kit I also had tried a similar set in Attic White. The kit at the drum shop was configured in what Ludwig called the "Jazzette"......an 18" bass drum, 12" rack tom, 13" snare and 14" floor tom. That one also had the clear Ludwig stock heads on them.

Ludwig Epic in Attic White, the first one I was looking at, when it was at one store.

As for the sound.......basically it had, even with clear heads, a fairly bright cutting sound when tuned up high (which was what I was seeking in the first place), yet when tuned to medium low, surpisingly even the small 18" bass drum and small toms have a nice mid-range to somewhat low punch, possibly because of the composite birch/maple/birch shell plies. The shop also had a leftover 8" tom in the same Attic White finish, but from another drumset, which the client wanted all the other drums except the 8". So, at that time, a friend of mine who was working there said that I could also order a 10" Ludwig Epic tom in Attic White from the company, but would have to wait for a while. I was hoping to do that, so that I would have a complete 8", 10" 12" and 14" tom set up with a small 18" bass drum and 13" snare. BUT that very month, Ludwig decided to discontinue the Attic White finish, much to my disappointment. However, Billy Hydes, the chain store here in Sydney that I was dealing with, were very kind to transfer the deposit I paid on the Attic White kit that I paid for at my local Parramatta store to the one in Black Burst to Natural finish in the Surry Hills store (a big thank you to my mate Nick Pansini at Parramatta and to the one and only Nik Downing at Surry Hills, both legends for doing that!). I get nothing but compliments on the sound and looks of this set. The snare just has a great crisp sound to it, perfect for delicate to loud press rolls when cranked up a bit, which is how I usually like some snares anyway. But the whole set is a joy to play and to look at.

And how they sound?

Ludwig Commando Video #12: Epic Series Drums in ProBeat Configuration - YouTube
    thanks for the info it really helped allot! and those drums sound amazing plus i really like your kit man it looks awesome with that finish!

Quote Originally Posted by jrt30004 View Post
    actually maple is more lively than birch. adding the maple will give more ring than an all birch kit. the birch will make them a little flatter than an all maple kit. that's why companies like yamaha and pearl use birch for thier recording series drums. the birch has less ring = better for recording.
    thanks man i did not know that. i always thought maple was a really warm well rounded sounding wood and birch was more a bright colourful wood. but that helps allot