Thread: Ghost notes

User Info Menu

Default Ghost notes

I love ghost notes, but I just can't seem to do them.

Any tips how to get that Keith Carlock or Stanton Moore level of ghosties going on? They seem to just do it automatically without even thinking

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ghost notes

Burnard Purdie - Ghostnotes

User Info Menu

Pratice singles and doubles till the cow's come home. If the cow's don't end up coming home, well keep practising.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Pratice singles and doubles till the cow's come home. If the cow's don't end up coming home, well keep practising.
    So funny, and yet so true. It's amazing what consistent practice can do, especially when you're talking about doubles.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Practicing rudiments will help get you there as well.

Work them between your hats and snare.

Try them very quietly working accents in for up and down beats.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Practice rudiments like the others said but particularly practice dynamics. There are books with accent studies. You can even do this on a pad with singles. Make your lows extremely low and your highs high. It's all about stick control.

User Info Menu

Cheers guys, better go practice some rudiments then......

User Info Menu

Alot of the ghost notes I play are simultaneous with a hat stroke and/or bass stroke. You can you them this way with pretty much any groove.

The most common way I hear is shuffling ghost notes.

User Info Menu

Alternate Flam taps, alternating drags, flamadiddles etc, all good stuff for more intricate work and building dynamics [Ghost notes/ groove building etc]. Remember "Alternate" the lead hand with theses rudiments.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Burnard Purdie - Ghostnotes
    I like Bernard, great groove. Unrelated - but I like his snare sound, it really helsp the hearing of his ghosts. Do you think its gotten by looser snares, and a reso tuned low, or reso tuned high, or... ? I have been trying to achieve that on my snare but cannot quite get there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    I like Bernard, great groove. Unrelated - but I like his snare sound, it really helsp the hearing of his ghosts. Do you think its gotten by looser snares, and a reso tuned low, or reso tuned high, or... ? I have been trying to achieve that on my snare but cannot quite get there.
    I love how at 2:18 he's playing the ghost notes with his finger while hitting the toms. Legend.

User Info Menu

Doing rimclicks, and tapping with your fingers, is harder than it looks.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Pratice singles and doubles till the cow's come home.
    Absolutely, but one important thing I've found is if you want to develop ghost notes, in addition to the independence of ghost notes lining up with bass and hi-hat without flamming is practicing single and double rudiments as quietly as possible.

Try doing paradiddles, or even better page one of stick control, at a fast tempo but so quietly you can barely hear it. It's surprising how unbelievably hard that is, because you lose a lot of the response of the head so you need to develop fine motor control to keep them in time and distinct. It's a great exercise for ghost notes.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Practice your finger control till the cows come home. And when they do come home practice some more. It's harder than it looks. A tight snare helps a lot for quick rebound action.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

This Dude, Todd somoneorother aint bad

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtn-OMUoLs"]Todd Sucherman: Ghost Note Lesson - from Methods & Mechanics II DVD - YouTube[/ame]

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

LMAO!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Playing a left handed drag between your snare drum and your hi-hat with the left hand on the snare drum is another way to work on your ghost notes, especially used in funk grooves. Try and keep the left hand as low as 1/2 to one inch or slightly less above your snare head for the ghost notes and snap the wrist and fingers back to lay into the back beats.

Another rudimental exercise is to play 1/16th note single strokes, keeping both hands low, but put a left hand accent on the 'e' or the 'a' only of "1e+a, 2e+a" on a pad or even on the snare drum (once you've mastered it with a pad first).
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I decide to put Youtube captions on, and this came up...

Last edited by xweasel; 11-26-2011 at 01:48 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Just watched this.....................................