Thread: MIDI, never done this before

User Info Menu

Default MIDI, never done this before

I have tried looking through multiple threads and forums and cant seem to understand the information. Im hoping someone here can help me out. My last thread was left untouched lol

Im new to the forum and edrums. My last thread I was looking for info on expanding the hardware. This time Im looking for software and recording information.

Ill try to use only a few words. I have a td-9k2s. Now I have a macbook pro. What do i do to make the 2 work in sync for live shows and recording.

Any help is appreciated. If you have the info or know where to get it I would love to hear back. Again Im new to everything about vdrums and audio software so laymans terms are handy aswell. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: MIDI, never done this before

Welcome to Drum Chat td9NEWB!

I can't help much with e-drums, since I've only had limited time on them. Surely someone will come along and have some thoughts for you.

Again, welcome.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If you just wanto record the drum sounds that are inbuilt into your unit, its pretty easy. You could use Garageband by running a line-in into the mic input on your mac, select that input via preferences in Garageband, hit record and your away.

The other option is to send MIDI signals to your mac to trigger your own samples (i suspect this is what your interested in doing). To do this you will need to buy some hardware that recieves MIDI signals (either a MIDI capable soundcard or a stand alone MIDI reciever/converter). You then will need some software that you can use to host sounds you wanto use. Some people use Native Instruments Battery, I use Ableton, but there are many other programs out there.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to learn all this stuff, and you are going to have to attain a basic understanding about MIDI to be able to set all this up, as well as gaining an understanding about using music software. Not too many drummers are knowledgeable about this sort of thing so its hard to find advice or lessons.

I'm happy to help you set something up, but it would help if you decided exactly what you wanto do (with your live performance) and this would help to decide what you need to make it happen.

Best of luck!

User Info Menu

I am not sure I understand the question but.
    You need a MIDI inteface to record MIDI. Just google MIDI interface keep in mind that recording MIDI is NOT recording sound. MIDI is a protocol that sends data to a device or software to trigger sounds. you will either need software on your computer or you can record it, edit it and sent it back to your TD9 then record the audio output.

If you are looking to use MIDI live again you wil need software to trigger and then you will have to get the audio output into your mix.

I would just use the stereo out for audio live and you can record audio or MIDI or both At the same time.

i assume this will spaun more questions ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Ok so in garage band if i use the stereo out to mic in on the mac i can record the sounds built into the td-9 module. The only reason to use midi is to trigger a different sound and record/edit that.

how do i make my own sounds to trigger, or where do i find them. When performing live Id like to record the performance if possible. apparently there is a LOT to learn. is there somewhere i can go to start learning this. Obivously its not the easiest to do over a forum thread lol. My buddy is a dj and knows midi so i can start there. Ive seen many youtube videos of people recording their cover songs in a general "studio" sounding environment. Obviously its running through the computer. Id like to do something like this. I can do without video but would like to lay my drumline over a drum less track

which adds another question. Free drum less tracks, do they exist lol

I appreciate all the help

User Info Menu

Read your manuals. you can use a usb port without a midi interface with many instruments now and the software will recognize it. Look at midi channels as different channels on a tv. Each one is a different show/sound.
    Ther are many ways to assign them. It is a actually pretty easy once you get the concept. Go to www.midi.org it took me 2 seconds to find this site via google. I understand if you are new to this and it can be a little overwheming at first but just work with it. You will figure it out eventually.
    Midi records the information, not audio. or plays the information, telling your sound module what to play. S oyou can record the info on your software then play the recorded digital info back on your sequencer which tells your sound module what to play. Midi out, Midi in Go here: http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/tut_makemusic.php
    Last edited by VIbes; 11-16-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red