Thread: Fill-a-ma-jigs

User Info Menu

Default Fill-a-ma-jigs

Why hello there, another basic question posed by the frogmeister.

Alright, I enjoy making beats and stuff now, but they always feel stagnant after a while. This is when I could really make them roar back into life and make them seem fresh again. But I want to know how to properly go about constructing them.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=goiWcak1FXg Sorry for using a cliched link but this is all I could find. Anyway, the fills he does in here when he goes from verse to chorus is what I'm talking about. It's fast and intricate and it uses both toms and snare.
    But how do you actually go about constructing these fills? I really need help and inspiration for it.
    Muchos help appreciated!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Why hello there, another basic question posed by the frogmeister.

Alright, I enjoy making beats and stuff now, but they always feel stagnant after a while. This is when I could really make them roar back into life and make them seem fresh again. But I want to know how to properly go about constructing them.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=goiWcak1FXg Sorry for using a cliched link but this is all I could find. Anyway, the fills he does in here when he goes from verse to chorus is what I'm talking about. It's fast and intricate and it uses both toms and snare.
    But how do you actually go about constructing these fills? I really need help and inspiration for it.
    Muchos help appreciated!
    I can't help in this department but that was a great video, I love Pearl Jam.

User Info Menu

I think its all about feel man, I mean i used to do basic fills, the whole 8 hits on the snare and mabye 4 hits on snare and then another 4 on the tom. But I eventually started to branch out using my bass pedal and stuff. Fills are a gradual process. you eventually start to know what drums to hit at the right time in the right order with experience. just my thought

User Info Menu

Try this thread, it may have something of use for you

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=1833&

No guarantees, but without knowing what skill level you are at and things, it's hard to start giving the advice. Plus for some reason youtube isn't working for me at the moment. None of the videos play, they just say they are loading.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Man, I love that song.

Drum fills follow simple rhythmic mathematics. You have a certain amount of space and you fill that space with values of notes. I start my students off with showing them tons of different ways you can fill just one quarter note. Than I show them how to do that with a half note's worth of space, and so on. It then starts to fall together for them and they can create themselves rather than always having to have a chart or drumfill from a book.

So my suggestion is; hire a teacher to help you with this and/or find some instructional books/dvds that teach you this one step at a time. There are also many free drum lessons online.

User Info Menu

The first fill I really got into after the straight 16th roll around the toms was this pattern. RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL. Simple but effective. I land the first note of each beat on a tom of choice and the rest are played on the snare and then on the fourth note I play the snare tom (accented) snare snare.

SO; The fill in order is

Tom snare snare snare, Tom snare snare snare, Tom snare snare snare then Snare Tom snare snare. Accent all the tom hits. Have fun with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    The first fill I really got into after the straight 16th roll around the toms was this pattern. RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL. Simple but effective. I land the first note of each beat on a tom of choice and the rest are played on the snare and then on the fourth note I play the snare tom (accented) snare snare.

SO; The fill in order is

Tom snare snare snare, Tom snare snare snare, Tom snare snare snare then Snare Tom snare snare. Accent all the tom hits. Have fun with it
    Oooooooooooo, I likie!!!!!

User Info Menu

It's a paradiddle - not critisizing, just observing. Just goes ot show really how those "boring rudiments" can be applied.

Actually if you look at, just about all fills and rolls use one rudiment or another, or a combination, the only thing that really varies is what you are playing and how fast - so if your hitting the snare, a tom, a cymbal or the kick.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Yes it is a paradiddle, the combinations are endless and so much fun to play. That particular fill opened up a whole new world for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Oooooooooooo, I likie!!!!!
    Cool!! Try other combinations of paradiddles with it DC. They are lots of fun and add nice spice to a fill.

User Info Menu

Go with your rudiments. Differnt amount of hits and try and get into a jam band. Playing to original music will get you thinking about (What can i put here)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've been practicing (couldn't do too much though, sister was feeling ill and didn't want to disturb her). It's helping now and coming together nicely.
    Thanks for all the information here guys!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post

SO; The fill in order is

Yeah my drum teacher taught me that too, Start off with it one part of the rudiment on one drum. Then do a the paradiddle over two drums. Then three. Then try all of them over many drums :> I love it. Turns something so easy into something hard (And makes you practice it)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Looks like a great tip! But i didn't thingk that fills were so "prepared" in advance. I thought that you would play in a fill whatever the song would ask for, and not what you had prepared.

I'm starting right now to practice the paradiddle fill! thanks again for your advice!

User Info Menu

Yup yup you gotta prepare them. My teacher use to say if you can say it you can drum it. So i always think of beats in my head. Then learn them if i have time... Then put stuff i know into songs when i jam and play :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters