Thread: got a practice pad..

User Info Menu

Default got a practice pad..

so i jsut bought a practice pad, and i have no real drum experiance. i'd like to hear from people that started out this way. and tell me if this is the way to go. also advise if you got it. thanks

User Info Menu

Well, dude, welcome - both to drumchat, and to the wonderful world of drumming.

Starting out with a practise pad is pretty common - mainly because no one wants to spend the money required for a kit until they are sure they really want to do it. It's how I strated and I dare say most of the people on here did the same thing (most, not all). As long as you are getting lessons - it's a fine way to start, because at the start the most important thing to learn is sticking, rhythm and timing - and no one needs a full kit, just something to hit. Plus no one wants to hear a beginner playing badly when they are trying to learn - so you can save off getting the kit until you feel the pad is limiting your learning.

Anyway, search these forums, ask questions, and I am sure someone will help you out with any questions you may have. Between the mebers here we different opinions and experiences and knowlege, so you should always be able to find out something your unsure about - and remember the golden rule - have fun!
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I've been on a practice pad for almost 4 months because my teacher said that it's important to learn my rudiments, all you need to learn your rudiments is a practice pad....... The kit comes later.

User Info Menu

thanks

User Info Menu

xian, welcome to the chat! I started on a practice pad. I wasn't even sure that I had enough talent to go any farther than that. It was my time on the pad that convinced me that I had what it took to go on. I had fun setting down the rhythms. After that I got my first kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ahh... the practice pad. That's what separates the men from the boys.

User Info Menu

Man, am I glad I said I started on a practice pad!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i started on a phone book. Now i play on my legs.... I see not forward motion in life :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I didn't start on a practice pad but I do still spend a lot of time with one. There is a great area of vic firth's web site I use to practice rudiments that you might find helpful. Has videos of a pro playing all the rudiments, as well as audio files at different metronome markings of each of the rudiments to play along with. http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html Check it out.

User Info Menu

bookmarks the page*

Thats a really good website ey.

How much are practice pads normally?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    bookmarks the page*

Thats a really good website ey.

How much are practice pads normally?
    i saw one is my music store for just under 30 bucks, but thats canadain of corse.

User Info Menu

i bought mine from guitar center for 18 bucks US

User Info Menu

i have that website in poster form, my drum teacher is sponsored by vic ferth so he gave me a couple posters

User Info Menu

I think i should buy a practice pad... Get some new sticks too. Good quality ones. May do that if i have cash in perth :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters