Thread: Cajon Advice

User Info Menu

Default Cajon Advice

Hello there.

lately I've been looking around the web for cajons. I've found many I like, but I want to know exactly what I'm getting and know which would be the best option. The cajons I'm looking at the most are the:

1. Meinl Headliner Series Cajon.

-Which would be the cheapest of all of the options by far.

2. Meinl Siam Oak Cajon with Fiberglass Front.

3. Meinl CAJ1EBM Snare Cajon with Ebony Front Plate

4. Meinl Snare Cajon, Carbon Fiberglass Frontplate

Really what my question is is this: Which cajon offers the most sound range? Crisp highs, and deep lows. To put it simply. What cajon is best.

Thank you very much in advanced! -God Bless

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon Advice

Hey young Christian bro....

I made my cajon after doing a bunch of research on the subject and I like the sound of mine. After many years of hobbies and activities I have learned that when you are looking for gear the first time around, buy used if you can and buy down. After you gain experience and knowledge, then go for what suits you. Pics of mine can be found in the Make It Yourself thread. I installed a snare so I get a pretty wide range of voiced from it. I am not that senior on this forum, but I haven't seen that much discussion on cajons here. You may have a bit of a struggle getting the info you want. With a cajon, keep in mind that it's just a box. Prices range from about $89 to well over $300 and I have absolutely no idea why. But in comparison, you will find many comments in this forum that suggest that professional musicians are using Matador congas, and they are just a few steps up from entry level pricing, and they are fine instruments. Again, buy down until you know what you like and then go for it! I hope this helps in some way.

BTW; He does.. more than I deserve..
    LP Performer Quinto, Conga, Tumba & Remo Nuskyn Heads
    Remo 14" djembe
    Zildjian 14" ZHT High Hats
    Sabian 13"AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
    Cajon
    LP Performer Series Bongos
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

only your ear can determine which cajon is best for you. Do you want a traditional or Flamenco cajon? How much snare sound do you want? How much separation between sounds? Can you audition them? My wife has just recently purchased the Gon Bop Alex Acuna special edition cajon. Beautiful instrument, more true to the Peruvian sound. More separation between bass and buzz. We mic it with a Shure Beta 52 kick mic and it is incredible.

User Info Menu

busyflyin, I took a look at that thread and you cajon looked very nice, impressive for making it yourself. After reading what you said I'm more leaning towards the cheapest of the cajons which would be the Meinl Headliner Series Cajon. Now I'm debating whether I should get the small, medium, or large... what would you recommend in that regard? As far as trying cajons out, bongobill, unfortunately I'm located in a cajon-less area. I don't believe any music store near me sells cajons. I'm not totally positive when it comes to what I'm looking for. Mostly just a standard cajon that has an overall good sound to it. I'm by no means a drummer or percussionist, but I'm always tapping my feat and hands and I think a cajon would be a great way to do that with some level of style

BTW; Amen brother Great to find a fellow Christian so soon on these forums!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cajon Advice

Cajons have so much hype. Two points to remember will go a long way with these here.

#1 practice and good form are more important than a "great and expensive" instrument.

#2 Baltic Birch is the best wood for tone with Cajons from my research. This is not an expensive wood to buy and build your own.

Busy Flyin' Cajon is probably better for him than any store bought Cajon for him. The fact that he built it and plays it means so much more.

I have a humble Cajon made out of humble paneling and it sounds great to me and it is not even Baltic Birch. I learned about Baltic Birch later on but it did not matter because I was happy with what I had.

I have a friend that made a $10 Cajon that is excellent from a old Speaker bought from a resale shop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TeenChristian View Post
    busyflyin, I took a look at that thread and you cajon looked very nice, impressive for making it yourself. After reading what you said I'm more leaning towards the cheapest of the cajons which would be the Meinl Headliner Series Cajon. Now I'm debating whether I should get the small, medium, or large... what would you recommend in that regard? As far as trying cajons out, bongobill, unfortunately I'm located in a cajon-less area. I don't believe any music store near me sells cajons. I'm not totally positive when it comes to what I'm looking for. Mostly just a standard cajon that has an overall good sound to it. I'm by no means a drummer or percussionist, but I'm always tapping my feat and hands and I think a cajon would be a great way to do that with some level of style

BTW; Amen brother Great to find a fellow Christian so soon on these forums!
    Thanks Jerry... I agree with all points.

But to answer TC's questions; to be honest, it started for me when one of our band members sent me a youtube vid of someone playing a cajon and he suggested that I might want to look into it. I did some research for about a week and found multiple sites on building your own, plus some YT vids of people playing, and then decided to build my own based upon the plans that I found. After I completed it and played it, I then found different sizes. Shortly after that the local music shop brought in some different sizes, which I played, and then I decided that I was well satisfied with what I ended up with. It emulates a simple drum kit quite nicely, and we don't have a regular drummer in our band all of the time, so I play the cajon instead. To be honest, for some reason I'm not well coordinated with drum sticks, but the hand drums seem natural for me. The bottom line is that I built mine before I found different sizes, but after playing different sizes, I was satisfied. I suggest that you start out with a common size like mine.. roughly 18-19" tall and roughly 11.75 inches square. The 11.75 dimension comes from an efficient panel cutting size in that you can cut 5 11.75" strips evenly out of a 5'x5' baltic birch panel... no real magic to it. Mine cost me two sheets of BB.. 1/8" and 1/2" = $60 I think, but I've built 2 so far from this and I am building another for our church. If you are a handy guy, this would be a good way to start out. Actually, I could probably cut you some wood and send it out if you were really serious about building one. Someone has a "kit" that they offer that accomplishes the same thing. The rest is glue, screws, a dowel, and a snare if you want a snare. Then finish it with stain / varnish.. whatever. Edit: A larger cajon means a deeper bass. Size is tone. My size is a good size for most situations.

BTW; you will be surprised at how many worship musicians you will find on these forums. God has us pretty busy!!
    Last edited by busyflyin; 11-17-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

There is a certain satisfaction from playing a drum that you made. On our worship team there are two musicians who built there own drums.

User Info Menu

I made my own cajon bongos too, but I'm not warming up to them too much. Don't tell LP but I measured theirs at the local GC and then cut up the wood and glued it together. I may have missed something in the process
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

time to change the design and build another set
    Last edited by bongobill; 11-17-2011 at 11:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Building a cajon sounds exiting and more fulfilling than just buying one; unfortunately I'm not the most handy guy in the world, but that doesn't mean I can't still check some building plans and tutorials... who knows it may be something I would be interested in trying. I just found which seems very helpful, and I'm sure I'll find more. Your cajon looked very impressive busyflyin, would you happen to remember where you found some of the tutorials and plans you used?

As far as the baltic birch wood goes... would I be using that all throughout the cajon, just the front plate, or just the surrounding? Thanks for all of your help so far everyone!

PS. Yeah, that's really cool. I didn't really expect to find many fellow Christians here, but I've already found two

PSS. I came here looking for advice on buying a cajon, but I think I may end up making my own

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TeenChristian View Post
    Building a cajon sounds exiting and more fulfilling than just buying one; unfortunately I'm not the most handy guy in the world, but that doesn't mean I can't still check some building plans and tutorials... who knows it may be something I would be interested in trying. I just found which seems very helpful, and I'm sure I'll find more. Your cajon looked very impressive busyflyin, would you happen to remember where you found some of the tutorials and plans you used?

As far as the baltic birch wood goes... would I be using that all throughout the cajon, just the front plate, or just the surrounding? Thanks for all of your help so far everyone!

PS. Yeah, that's really cool. I didn't really expect to find many fellow Christians here, but I've already found two

PSS. I came here looking for advice on buying a cajon, but I think I may end up making my own
    This site is the one I used. It's very informative. I used 1/2" for the top, bottom, sides and back and 1/8" for the front. Then I built a second one for a friend and used 1/8" for the back too. They both sound great. They are not hard to build. The 1/8" will cut with a utility knife and the rest of it is best cut with a table saw. Find a friend or friend's father with a table saw.
    Last edited by busyflyin; 11-18-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

I think I'll probably be looking at that site the most, it looks like the most helpful and informative as you said. I'm also going to take a little bit from this great video I found. Probably my favorite Snare installation I've found yet.

You said that both the 1/2 and 1/8 work for the back... does anyone sound particularly better than the other or was there virtually no difference?

And what type of wood did you use for your tapa? Thanks!

User Info Menu

that's how I attached my snare, but I didn't make a lever the way he did. I'm not sure my photos show it, but I just put a 3" long screw into the middle of the big dowel and I have to reach into the hole in the back IF I want to adjust it, but I never do. I always leave it engaged. His method is a bit limiting, but it works for him. Let me know if I can help in any way.

All plywood is baltic birch. And the size of the back doesn't seem to make a difference in the sound, but if you buy, say, 5' x 5' sheets, you will use more 1/2" than 1/8" so I would use 1/8" for the back and save the 1/2" for more cajon projects. i would like to build a few different sizes and play around.

Edit; CHeck out Schlagwerk's site, they build some awesome stuff. Look at the different size cajons and the add-ons.
    Last edited by busyflyin; 11-21-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Remove the link
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

I visited their website, and you where right, they do make some great stuff. Alot of nice cajons and add-ons. As far as the snare wires go I, you said that his way had it's limits, and I was wondering what exactly you mean't. I'm probably not going to build more than one cajon, so I want this one to be the best I can possibly do, know what I mean?

User Info Menu

It's in the amount of engagement of the snares. I found the best sound with the snare wires laying flat against the front. I'll take a pic this weekend and post it. My cajon is in our studio and we have a gig Wed night. you will see what i mean. But, the general idea is good.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

That would be awesome In that case would the snare wires be spanning from the top of the tapa to the bottom? And would they be adjustable?

User Info Menu

Mine are installed just like the video, using a dowel that can be twisted to adjust the engagement. But, I don't have a lever with a handle that protrudes through the side and limits the adjustment. Mine has a 3" long screw that I put into the side of the dowel, in the middle, and points back toward the back of the cajon. I use the long screw like a handle to adjust the snare wires. Pull the handle up and the wires go into the tapa. Back, and the wires come away... if you know what I mean.

Edit: go back to the Make It Yourself thread and there's a pic in there of what I did. It's a little less convenient, but I never adjust the snare now that it's set where I like it.
    Last edited by busyflyin; 11-22-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Picture of my cajon
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

I see what you mean now. That's definitely has less of a restriction compared to the one in the video. I'm not sure how much I'll be adjusting mine, so I may do what you did except with a little nob coming out the side, so it would still be totally adjustable, just more accessible. Just a few questions about the snare.
    Is it necessarily to have that frame, or could I saw do what the guy in the video did? Also, the snare wares are only attached to the dowel, right? While the other end is sitting against the tapa, if I am correct.

Thanks a ton for all your help! Once I order the various supplies and wood I'll post pictures of my progress in building

User Info Menu

I'm not exactly sure what you are calling the "frame". If its the wood that goes around the perimeter, that's not for the snare wires, that's to attach the tapa and support your weight as you sit on it. I suggest that you do the same. i also considered running the dowel out through the side, but I didn't want something that my leg would hit. all the time.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

I see. So a frame is necessarily. On Casey Connors website (the tutorial) he has two pieces of hardwood in the back of his cajon to support his door. If I'm not going to have a door is the semi-frame in the back needed, or should I just have one in the front of the cajon.

Now when I'm installing the frame, is it touching the tapa, or is it a few centimeters away from it?
    Last edited by TeenChristian; 11-23-2011 at 01:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I would. But I would just use 1/2" ply instead of the ash that I used.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Ok and just to be sure, does the frame touch the tapa or not?

User Info Menu

yes
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Thanks! I'll be sure to post with updates and questions God Bless!