Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh guys

User Info Menu

Unhappy Uh guys

Fellow drummers as you all know i ringo am an ambidexterious drummer who enjoys playing his kit as much as humanly possible. but there's a problem. Now i want to learn how to play guitar and the thing is it all started when i watched the eruption video by van halen. i grabbed my cheap acoustic and tried playing and within an hour i was playing chords and doing hammer ons and pull offs. so later i tried this thing called "double tapping" it turns out i can pull it off really well. i showed my mom and she almost screamed with joy and this beautiful sound coming out of my guitar. so what i'm asking is this:
    should i try and learn to be a shredder at guitar and risk losing my talent at drums or not?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Be a guitarist.
    Last edited by _Roxy_; 06-24-2007 at 09:28 PM.

User Info Menu

why can't you do both?

User Info Menu

too bad u dont have 4 arms

User Info Menu

okay first off on roxy's comment: HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF JJ!!! HE PLAYS BOTH ****IN DRUMS AND GUITAR!!
    and second of all to mi's: i wish i did
    i wanna play both and my mom's gonna let me use this nice gibson double cutaway acoustic to play on. i'm looking into lessons

User Info Menu

No I haven't.
    Last edited by _Roxy_; 06-24-2007 at 09:29 PM.

User Info Menu

well jj or joey jordison plays drums for slipknot and he plays lead guitar for his band the murderdolls

User Info Menu

I'm learning to play guitar as well Ringo. (except its easier for me cuz I have no access to drums at the moment. )
    You won't lose skill as fast as you think, Play drums and then spend about half of the time you played drums, playing guitar! It sounds awkward, but it works!

Oh and by the way, let's try to keep things civil and orderly here, no one is going to get anything good out of saying things like "Don't say you
    have a problem with me unless you can say it in real life." when (to my knowledge) no one has a problem with you or had a problem with you in the first place, and language like the f-word when its pretty obvious that bad language isn't allowed in this forum.

So! Let's all get along and have a good conversation.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Ringo, one question I would ask is when you play the guitar and the drums, which one brings you the most joy. I started out on the guitar, and I still play, but when I started drumming, I found my real joy. I am currently putting more time into the drums, but I still play the guitar and I do still enjoy it, but just not as must as when I'm on the drums!

If you enjoy them both, then simply practice them both. You may find that you are "natural" musician and can progress well, even though you are splitting time between drums and guitar. I say you'll never know until you try.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Sounds like the Joey Jordison story backwards.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I would barely call what the murderdolls play lead guitar. I can play it and i suck.
    They say themselves ther eonly there for entertainment. But yeah joey rocks at kit instead. Sounds like your backwards to joey dude. But play them both I play bass guitar and drums . ITs all good! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    I would barely call what the murderdolls play lead guitar. I can play it and i suck.
    They say themselves ther eonly there for entertainment. But yeah joey rocks at kit instead. Sounds like your backwards to joey dude. But play them both I play bass guitar and drums . ITs all good! :>
    hey i guess you get alot better at drums when you learn bass? is that true?

User Info Menu

Learning two instruments is great, your musically gifted if you can play more than one and play them well

Hey, maybe a career in musical edgucation is for you then, they have to learn to play every instrument in a concert and marching band

User Info Menu

I like guitar but can't do chords. I pretend it's a bass instead.
    And my fingers are very fast but locked together.
    Go figure. This is irrelevent to the topic.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

My girlfriend has an acoustic guitar which sits in the drum room and I have been thinking about getting into it lately. Playing more instruments will improve your musical feel anyway so why not go for it. I will not totally give up the drums for any other instrument though...I love them too much

User Info Menu

Cool Uh guys...

What's wrong with learning more than one instrument? In my circle of musician friends, I know a keyboard man who is plays a cool bass guitar; a guitarist/bassist who got into music because he dug the sound of the Hammond B-3 organ in jazz recordings (and still plays keyboards); another guitarist who is learning keyboards; a drummer/percussionist who is learning guitar and keyboard...and I'm considering taking up the bass guitar.

You don't have to be a one-man band, but learning more than one instrument stretches your musical capabilities beyond the comfortable "box" of your first instrument...and it helps you if you like to write and compose music!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    hey i guess you get alot better at drums when you learn bass? is that true?
    I cant say that i noticed but i cant say i have persued that idea much either. I like understanding all the instruments. I cant explain how it helps if it does. There isnt really standards to work off. So i cant see how it could.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Ringo, one question I would ask is when you play the guitar and the drums, which one brings you the most joy. I started out on the guitar, and I still play, but when I started drumming, I found my real joy. I am currently putting more time into the drums, but I still play the guitar and I do still enjoy it, but just not as must as when I'm on the drums!

well drums were my first instrument but i guess that the guitar does bring out my true passion because no matter how well i play on drums or how fast or whatever, i always say to myself. "what would happen if i could play guitar?" i found out because now i can play two nirvana songs. "smells like teen spirit", and "heart shaped box."

User Info Menu

Ringo, I would say go where your passion takes you. The drums could still be your secondary instrument, and just think about the relationship you would have with any drummer while you played your guitar. You'd sure have an excellent sense of timing! We wouldn't be losing a drumming buddy, we'd be gaining a guitar buddy!

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy making music!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

thanks pb your a true bro' and hey maybe one day i'll make it big as a guitarist for a grunge band.

User Info Menu

Ive seen a guy, whos in a local band, they go around and play all kinds of music,he plays guitar and he owns 2 drumkits that he can still play very well, it helps his timing according to him

But dont worry, weve got another axe man running around here too

Ohhhh RD! where are you?

User Info Menu

Oh please, not a grunge band!!! LOL
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 06-27-2007 at 04:15 PM.

User Info Menu

lol
    what's wrong with that? it's my favorite type of music

User Info Menu

I have heard the story of "I started off playing drums before I took up guitar" many times but have never heard it the other way. Has anyone heard of a guitarist taking up the drums? I would learn the guitar or bass but I love the drums too much to give them up totally

User Info Menu

yeah joey jordison originally played guitar before drums