Thread: Anyone ever play Jesus Christ Superstar?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone ever play Jesus Christ Superstar?

The stage production?

I'm hoping to try out for it with the local theater and I'm wondering how closely it matches the Original Recording (which is not to be confused with the movie soundtrack. This is the version that has Murray Head, Ian Gillian, Yvonne Elliman--the one Webber and Rice produced as sort of a 'demo' in 1969).

I have maybe 6 months to practice and I want to have it nailed before I even set foot in the audition. I'm already thinking about adding 2 toms to the four piece and getting a new ride cymbal.

As a side note, on the list of musicians, the drummer, Bruce Rowland, was listed first!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone ever play Jesus Christ Superstar?

I'm not familiar with variations of the song.

Regardless, good luck with your studies and upcoming audition.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hard gig so I'm told! Good luck!

User Info Menu

No, but people keep telling me that I look like Jesus.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

From all the different versions I've heard, it seems like pretty simple 70s style playing, but I don't know your skill level so I can't say if your up agaisnt a challenge or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    No, but people keep telling me that I look like Jesus.
    Really.?

Do you have holes in your hands and feet.?

Many moons ago i was in McDonald's and i could of sworn the bloke serving the chips was Jesus.He didn`t have a halo or anything but it really did look like the big guy.I probed he thoroughly to determine whether or not he was the chosen one or not.It turned out he wasn't..his mother wasn't Mary and he was rubbish at carpentry so that ruled him out.He was a dab hand at cooking chips though and his cheese burger was to kill for.

This was a while ago and i don`t eat junk food anymore.

Anyway.. to answer the question,i can`t say i have ever played it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    From all the different versions I've heard, it seems like pretty simple 70s style playing, but I don't know your skill level so I can't say if your up agaisnt a challenge or not.
    Just to clarify, I'm not asking if it's hard, I'm asking if the original soundtrack is very close to the production currently being used in theaters across the country. I've heard they just did a revamp of it but I don't know if the music is different. I'd like to use the soundtrack to practice with but I don't want to waste time on stuff that I'm not going to play in the show.

I'm not worried about being able to play it.

User Info Menu

You would have to ask the music director which version they are using, but it wouldn't hurt to practice to any version to get used to musical cues and tempo changes.

User Info Menu

That's a good idea. I'll work with the movie soundtrack too.

The theater grouop doesn't even have the right yet--the rights holders control very closely where and how often it's played in proximity to other productions. They're hoping to get the right in the fall. I won't even see the charts until then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced for lean View Post
    Really.?

Do you have holes in your hands and feet.?

Many moons ago i was in McDonald's and i could of sworn the bloke serving the chips was Jesus.He didn`t have a halo or anything but it really did look like the big guy.I probed he thoroughly to determine whether or not he was the chosen one or not.It turned out he wasn't..his mother wasn't Mary and he was rubbish at carpentry so that ruled him out.He was a dab hand at cooking chips though and his cheese burger was to kill for.

This was a while ago and i don`t eat junk food anymore.

Anyway.. to answer the question,i can`t say i have ever played it.
    No stigmata, but my mother is a Mary and father is a cabinet maker.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    No stigmata, but my mother is a Mary and father is a cabinet maker.
    Haha nice.

Is your old man really a cabinet maker.?..if so he must be pretty handy with wood so has he tried knocking you up a set of drums.?

Sorry to go off topic but these types of questions need answers.

User Info Menu

Yeah, he really is a cabinet maker. I've been considering seeing if he'd have the time to build me a stave snare shell. I'm sure that he could do a top notch job on it, but I doubt that he'd ever get around to it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

When they did the traveling show revamp, a lot of the songs got morphed into more closely resembling the movie versions. I am guessing that is because Ted Neeley did the touring and he liked those better. I have never played the show, but have seen the movie 50+ times. I have the original broadway recording, and when I last saw the national touring company, the songs all sounded like movie versions. I'm not sure if that version is available to local theaters yet.

User Info Menu

Excellent info, thanks.

User Info Menu

Here in Australia there had been a few productions of it. I remember seeing one version of it in the early 90's (with singers Kate Ceberano, John Farnham and Jon Stevens)....believe it or not, way, way before you guys in the U.S. might have heard of him, this was one of Virgil Donati's many sessions gigs (which he doubled with another lesser known Australian drummer, Andrew Gander). If you pause and have a look at this short ad clip for the album they recorded, at the 0:02 second mark you'll just be able to make out it's Virgil!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_UiXax1Unc&feature=player_detailpage"]Jesus Christ Superstar Soundtrack Ad - 1992 Australian Cast - YouTube[/ame]

Also in the 70's, there was another great production with Trevor White, Jon English, and Marcia Hines. One of my good muso buddies, a guy called Noel Evans, was actually one of the backing singers for that one, believe it or not.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 12-05-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Never played it. Ben Vereen did a version of it on TV about 30+ years ago that was spectacular. I've looked for it on the net, but have not been able to find it.

On another note. Go to the Dade County jail, every other guy in there is named Jesus.

User Info Menu

im sure any local theater group is using the original score as best they can.
    my sister acted in the play back in Jersey in the 80s.
    believe it or not my high school stoner butt made it to the show and i loved it.
    saw Rent 6 or 7 years ago off Broadway and the band tore the roof off the joint, i suggest you do the same with JCSS

User Info Menu

I once auditioned for it in my hometown. I was playing bass. I did not get the part, but did get free tickets to the opening night. It was very good. JCS is an Awesome music piece.

User Info Menu

It IS awesome. I really love it. And I have no real religious ties one way or the other.

I've been listening to the original and the motion soundtrack and it's remarkable how faithful the movie drummer was to the original. There are some differences, but I kind of thought that the guys would have worked out their own fills and they'd be mainly different. Also, the drums are mixed a little higher on the movie soundtrack in some of the songs and are easier to hear.

User Info Menu

Just make sure you know how to play in 5/4 when doing this song though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmNjUt0tDo&feature=player_detailpage"]04 Everything's Alright - Jesus Christ Superstar, New Zealand - YouTube[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Indeed. Also, 'The Temple' is in 7/8 time.

Interesting tangent:
    I was having a discussion with someone about 5/4 time, in a piece we're rehearsing and he was trying to say that this particular piece (It's a Hannuaka song called Eighth Candle) the 5/4 didn't feel like 3 + 2, "Just like 'Take Five'" and I disagreed. I think 'Take Five' feels totally like 3+2. I agree that Joe Morello seemed to downplay the 3+2 a bit but it's still there, especially in the bass line. Which leads to my question, can you think of a song in 5/4 time that was completely devoid of the 3+2 feel? Is it even possible?
    Last edited by JohnnySticks; 12-05-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: link repair