Thread: AAX Xplosion vs HHX Xplosion

User Info Menu

Default AAX Xplosion vs HHX Xplosion

I have yet to hear an HHX Xplosion crash and am considering on getting a few to add to my collection. Has anyone here heard both and what's thee difference?
    I am going used since they are nearly half price that way and am keeping all the crash cymbals I own now.
    Basically what I am eventually wanting to do is build a 2nd set of cymbals so that I can have a little bit of a choice of what sound I want to achieve.
    My plan is to get another set of hats a different ride,which will likely be the HH or HHX RBDR since I am starting to like my AA RBDR. What I really want is a separate set that is all the HH and HHX line.As far as China's go,I am well covered in that area,so I won't be buying any new China's except for the 20" HHX,which is a must for me since I had one and regret even letting that thing go. The 20" HHX China is one of the best I have ever heard,not to loud and trashy,just sounded perfect to me.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: AAX Xplosion vs HHX Xplosion

My guess would be the hhx would be darker.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Default Re: AAX Xplosion vs HHX Xplosion

I posted this exact thread a while ago, I have the 18" AAX-plosion, today I heard the HHX-plosion at a local drum store (it was a 20" though) It sounded great, I think a little quieter than the AAX, but still just as cutting. It was lower pitched, but the cymbal was also bigger than the reference I had. It sounds great nonetheless.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford