Thread: Cymbal Help!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Cymbal Help!

Hi Everyone :]

Im very new to drumming, so Ill ask here for advice.
    I Play/Listen to Deathcore/Grindcore/Deathmetal and such, and was wondering on what cymbals would be appropriate for this style of music.
    So far I've seen the Paiste Rude series (Which look quite nice but pricey) and the Istanbul Alchemy stuff (the Raw series look like they might play metal quite well). Are these any good?

Thanks for reading and
    Thanks for your time!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Help!

Have a look for some used Zildjian Z Customs on ebay or whatever. They've been discontinued but they are quite common so you should be able to land yourself a bargain.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Usually with those genres you want cymbals with little to no sustain, because the notes you are playing are so close together. Rudes are great for this as they speak quickly and loudly but don't sustain long. If Rudes are too pricey check out Paiste Alphas, Zildjian Z3s or Sabian APX. They are all very affordable rock/metal cymbals.

User Info Menu

Rudes are expensive, but those things can take quite a beating!

User Info Menu

Zildjian Z's should fit the bill and are relatively cheaper than other "quality" brands

User Info Menu

gotta say z customs. i have two 17 inch rock crashes and they are loud to say the least. i also have a set of older z dyno beat hi hats, and i love them.

User Info Menu

Z's are cheap and sound like what you are looking for.A friend just picked up a 20" china for $75.I have seen a few Z crashes for sale around here for about $75. They are heavy so make sure your back is ready to haul them around
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

+1 on the Alphas, they are great for the price, their rock crashes sound great, personally I'm a fan of thin crashes, but the rock crashes I heard were nice.

Zildjian A customs might be worth to look at as well.
    If you had the money and can find them used Meinl MB20's are sweet! but pricey.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

You might consider sticking with zbt's and b8's. Depending on how hard you hit. Replacing b20 can get expensive after a few broke cymbals.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phyr View Post
    Hi Everyone :]

Im very new to drumming, so Ill ask here for advice.
    I Play/Listen to Deathcore/Grindcore/Deathmetal and such, and was wondering on what cymbals would be appropriate for this style of music.
    So far I've seen the Paiste Rude series (Which look quite nice but pricey) and the Istanbul Alchemy stuff (the Raw series look like they might play metal quite well). Are these any good?

Thanks for reading and
    Thanks for your time!
    Finally a hardcore metal fan. What bands do you like mate?

I'd suggest the paiste dudes also, and probably Sabian AAX's, the metal series. I have xs20's but I loved the sound of them. Been playing metal/heavymetal or screamo for 2 years, I play 20 hours a week and I haven't cracked amsingle cymbal.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Greetings! Z Customs work well and can be found at a bargain. Meinl also make some amazing stuff. (I am the local Meinl freak. ) Check out MB10's and MB20's. Great cymbals! Heavy and projecting, yet easy to move through and not so hard that they turn brittle.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    Finally a hardcore metal fan. What bands do you like mate?

I'd suggest the paiste dudes also, and probably Sabian AAX's, the metal series. I have xs20's but I loved the sound of them. Been playing metal/heavymetal or screamo for 2 years, I play 20 hours a week and I haven't cracked amsingle cymbal.
    Hey :D

I listen to mainly Suicide Silence and Cannibal Corpse, but I like Black Dahlia Murder, Meshuggah, Napalm Death, Lamb of God and countless others that w=ould drain on and on ;P

PS Thanks to everyone for your reply's, I really appreciate it and will look around for these cymbals

Again, thanks for your time and help

User Info Menu

Wooo!!!! Lamb of god!!!!
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads