Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best alternatives to 2002 cymbals at a lower price point?

User Info Menu

Default Best alternatives to 2002 cymbals at a lower price point?

I like the Paiste 2002's but at this point I don't think I can afford them. I am wondering how people feel that the Paiste Alphas or B8 cymbals from any of the other manufacturers stand up to the 2002s. What would you think would be next in quality below the 2002's?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best alternatives to 2002 cymbals at a lower price point?

2002s are such a wide range its hard to say, but if you want rock/metal cymbals Alphas are amazing for the price. I've heard good things about the b8 pro, but have never played them myself.

User Info Menu

Thanks....metal is not my thing....but rock is....so I don't need the cymbals to be super heavy and cutting....but I have become interested in Paiste cymbals in general....and it seems to be there entryway to pro level cymbals....and I like the clips I have heard of the 2002's.....the Giant Beats too, but they are pretty much the same price anyway.

The alphas look intriguing, too, but I am wondering if Meinl does something decent with their near pro level MB8's.

User Info Menu

Alpha's have a set of rock cymbals, i'd chek them out.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Id recommend Sabian Xs20's. Really good sound for a low price, theyre also b20 bronze zht's are so-so, pst5's are nice, and i cant really talk for meinl. Good luck!
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

If you can't afford the 2oo2's yet..consider the alphas..they're good cymbals!..and certainly affordable..also, there are some good deals out there for 2oo2's...I purchased some of my 2oo2's (new) off ebay for better than 50% off...

User Info Menu

On sabians website they have something called, anatomy of a cymbal, it provides a lot of useful information on why cymbals sound the way they do. You might want to look there to help your search. I'm assuming that you are want intermediate level cymbals, and there is a really nice sticky in the cymbals section about it, which is very useful, and even helped me.

Sabian XS20, Paiste Alpha (Alpha's based on my limited experience with them) are very loud and cutting cymbals. I'm not the biggest fan of zildjian, just because they seem like more traditionally hammered cymbals, which would actually be better, but I just don't like the sound.

The XS20's are made out of B20 Bronze (Same as sabian's top of the line series, HH, HHX, AA, AAX) B8's are cheaper than XS20's and not as good sounding as XS20's, but certain cymbals (mostly from B8 Pro, but some from the regular B8 series) have unique sounds, that you won't find with other series/manufacturers.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

if you are patient, buy used Paiste 505's. Green labels. You can find hats, crashes and rides on the bay, or local clists. They are poor cousins of 2002 - the exact same alloy. Lots of good recommendations above but IMO any B20 cymbals does not sound like B8 alloy 2002's. There is something specific and unique about the sound of the 2002.

ThePloughman Guest

2oo2's USED.

User Info Menu

I use the Paiste 2002 cymbals in a classic rock band. They were made for classic and hard rock. They were the cymbals John Bonham used. When I bought my Paiste 20 inch ride they had a promotion of given you a free 14 inch Alpha crash. The Alpha crash sounds great, it has a good sound for a lower cymbal series. I like playing funk and blues, so I was looking for a pair of high hats that would compliant this music. I bought a set of Alpha 12 inch high hats, they are quick and have a tight sound when playing funk. Its easy to open and close the hats when playing beats, that szzz, s sound between beats is easier to pull off because the hats are light. Now 12 inch hats are small, not good for rock, but great for funk and jazz. I will set up my kit using both alpha and 2002 cymbals when playing. It sounds ok. I have B8s on my practice kit that I play with the band and have used they to play out and they sounded ok. Its all up to what you think sounds good to your ears and how they look on your kit. Today its all about personal choice. When I play out I like the Paiste 2002 they are Pro cymbals, its up to me to make them sound good. The way you play has a lot to do with how a kit or cymbals sound. I play a mid level yamaha stage custom kit and a gretsch catalina jazz kit and I play the heck out of them and try and make my equipment sound good. You dont need to spend alot of money on equipment to sound good, the way you approach your playing has alot to do with sounding good. Yea, there is equipment that is made well and its easier to get a better sound out of it, but there is no reason why you cant sound great on mid level drum kits and cymbals. If it sounds good to your ears it is good. Just play, play, play.
    Last edited by Jackie; 10-11-2011 at 06:59 AM.

User Info Menu

The Alphas are an excellent choice if you want good sounding Paiste cymbals that aren't too expensive. The equivalent Meinl series would be Classics, which are also nice cymbals. They have an awesome logo, too
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Zxt titaniums. Med thins. You could not tell the difference with the crashes.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Take it from me, can't go wrong with the Alphas. My 16" Thin Crash is from the older series and personally I find it sits fine with the rest of my Paiste Signatures, older Sound Formulas and 2002's. Had it now for well over a decade. Not keen on my old Alpha China, but then again, I've tried out other newer Alpha Chinas in drumshops and often been tempted, that's for sure.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Depends on budget (and tastes, of course...), but 2002's are indeed an investment for life. I would recommend hunting down second-hand ones (in good shape; they can be got with patience...).
    Having said that, I replaced my (very old, very worn...) 2002 crashes with new Sabian AAX and Vault, and I'm keeping them.
    When playing for myself (that's to say, not harder-hitting rock...), I'm sold on 602's, but we're going up in budget, then. Too fragile for stage use, but real musicality, imho.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

I've always thought that Paiste Alphas sound better than their price point if you want bright, cutting, shimmering sound. I had a 10" Alpha splash that was really nice, and in some ways better than my AAX splash I'm currently using.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    2oo2's USED.
    Yes. You'll find them used for around 1\2 price of what they cost new. So for the price, you are getting much more cymbal than you are buying cheaper cymbals new.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Currently all but two cymbals on my kit are 2002's. I feel they are a good multi-purpouse cymbal. I added mine as I found them either on sale or used. Nothing wrong with used if your careful when buying and asking the right questions.

Not all 2002 cymbals are the same. Meaning, you have the 2002 line, the 2002 mediums and 2002 Wild line and probably some others I don't know about. They all have thier own sound profile. If you get onto the Paiste website and go to thier sound bite page, you'll see what I mean.

I have also had Alpha cymbals also. They are not an equivilent to the 2002 line. They are a different sounding cymbal in my opinion. Albiet, they are a great cymbal for the money.

I say if you like the 2002 line, thats what I'd work on aquiring. I would'nt mess with an equivilent. You'll spend more time and money doing this and in the end still have a cymbal thats not quite what you wanted. Been there done that.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I can't think of another B8 cymbal line that is as musical as the 2oo2s.

User Info Menu

Alpha's are solid cymbals. Bright & shimmery and the Alpha chinas sound great!!! Jeremy Spencer endorses Alphas:

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by theploughman View Post
    2oo2's used.
    + 98

User Info Menu

I would have to up the vote count to check out the Xs20s... I purchased my 18inch crash while in the store comparing it side by side to an AAX... really impressed with it.

Just earlier today, I was in a local store checking out ride cymbals and was really impressed with the Xs20 ride as well... go have a listen if you get a chance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    2oo2's USED.
    YES! SO MUCH THIS. I own a 19" inch 2002 thin crash, and it's not bad. The price was the best part though.

If you scour out used deals, it feels so much more satisfying. After all, the thrill is in the hunt.

User Info Menu

If you have your heart set on 2oo2s, then wait and get the 2oo2s. I've found that if I really have my heart on something and buy a cheaper alternative I usually end up eventually buying the real deal anyway. In the long run that strategy always costs me more.

The one nice thing about cymbals is that you don't have to buy the entire set at once. You can save while your scouring ebay and craigslist for a great deal. Then pick up a single cymbal and start saving for the next.

Also I own a set of 2oo2s and in my opinion they have a very distinctive sounds that I haven't heard in any other cymbals.

User Info Menu

Any thoughts on the Meinl Soundcaster line?

User Info Menu

I didn't care much for the Xs20 line. I have hit a few of them and they didn't sound right to me. Sounded to me like a better version of the B8 Pros.
    I know a lot of people use them and the price is right but if you shop around for used,you can do pretty good getting better cymbals. I have gotten some pretty good deals on just about every cymbal I have except 2 that I bought new and regret that I did when I could of bought used and saved money.
    When I first started playing 4 years ago,I ad a set of B8 hats that sounded ok.Some of the cheaper cymbals may surprise you. ZHT hats were the same way,like the sound of those as well.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals