Thread: setion leading blows!

User Info Menu

Default setion leading blows!

It's a more difficult task than one might think, right? You have 4-15 in your percussion section, and there's always those few kids who are our permanent tambourine or cowbell play. Most of the things in your percussion cabinet/ closet are just ...and you can't play your part because they're just a distraction. If I had a dime for every five minutes a drummer didn't tell me he can't find his music, I would have.. no dimes.
    Last edited by drummer; 11-18-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: language

User Info Menu

Default Re: setion leading blows!

well as a section leader i would think it would be your job to help the permanent cowbell players and tambourine players get better . if you spend the time working with them instead of giving up on them , they would be more interested in playing better and remembering their music . and it would sure make you feel better about your drum section . give it a try ,you might suprise yourself ....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Definitely true but they're simply not motivated enough. There those kids who's parents make them be in band.
    Hear about the bassist that was so depressed about his bad timing that he threw himself behind train?

User Info Menu

yeah im sure i know some of those kids ... what a shame eh? but just think how good it would make you feel to turn one of those kids into a drummer . ya never know , one of those kids might just need a little spark to turn them into someone great . worth a try eh?
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Yeah I was drum captain for a few years in high school and noticed the same thing. All I did was try to be an example of why and how to WANT to play and teach them if they were interested. Although, for the benefit of the line, I would spend the most time with the others that shared a common goal, to try and perfect what we had. The slackers eventualy either came around, or caused enough problems to be told not to perform by the band directer.

Kinda win, win in the long run.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

be kind to the people on your way up, you will meet them on the way down.

positive reinforcement is the only way to lead. when you point a finger, remember that you have 3 fingers pointed back at yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    Yeah I was drum captain for a few years in high school and noticed the same thing. All I did was try to be an example of why and how to WANT to play and teach them if they were interested. Although, for the benefit of the line, I would spend the most time with the others that shared a common goal, to try and perfect what we had. The slackers eventually either came around, or caused enough problems to be told not to perform by the band directer.

Kinda win, win in the long run.
    Exactly. My parents used to make me be in band when I played the alto sax. But then I started playing drums for the band and I liked it a lot more. Maybe they just want to play a different instrument?
    Hear about the bassist that was so depressed about his bad timing that he threw himself behind train?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ClickkFourLes View Post
    Exactly. My parents used to make me be in band when I played the alto sax. But then I started playing drums for the band and I liked it a lot more. Maybe they just want to play a different instrument?
    The reasons a kid will take band in HS runs the range - sometimes it's about taking a cake class where they can unwind and decompress, sometimes it's about the socialization, sometimes it's because Mommy and Daddy want them there and they have no desire on their own to be there, and sometimes it's because they actually want to make music. Even if they want to be there, there are those who really get it and are able to improve steadily, but then there are those who desparately want to be able to play better, but they just can't seem to find the recipe to make it all click.

It's a tough spot you are in, and pretty thankless most of the time. A couple of things to remember:

1.) You can please a few people all of the time
    2.) You can please everyone some of the time
    3.) You will never please everyone all of the time

Just lead from the front and lead by example, treat others with the respect you wish to receive from them, stay positive and enthusiastic about what you are doing, and do the very best you can for the section. If you can do that, you'll reach and motivate all but the most die-hard downers in the section.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.