Thread: Alesis DM10 Studio kit

User Info Menu

Default Alesis DM10 Studio kit

Thinking into getting one for my moms place because I can't have two acoustic sets, one at my dads and moms, because they would be different setups, different cymbals etc. I just don't want that, so at least with an E-kit I can change the sound, so I don't need all the acoustic cymbals, just need to change the ones that I will need to different sounds for different songs.

Anyway, what do you guys and gals think of the DM10? Is it worth the price? And I have never bought or even really paid any attention to using an electric kit so I have some more questions:
    Can I change say a crash cymbal to a china, or do I need a specific cymbal pad for the china?
    Can I hook the DM10 module up to my computer via USB and record, or change the sounds of it if I needed too (Like download certain acoustic cymbal sounds if I wanted to)?

Thanks guys, looking forward to your input. Turns out I won't be getting an acoustic set for a while, because of unexpected reasons.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis DM10 Studio kit

I think the DM10 is a solid module - worth grabbing if you can get one cheap - two zone capability - better analog sounding hi hat.

The Realhead pads are 'ok' as far as sound deadening, but, they are not as good as mesh for quietness. I have a Realhead 10" pad and I don't use it. You might consider buying a set of real drums, and sewing the mesh skins yourself - install the triggers yourself, or buy some snap on triggers and put them on some real drums with mesh.

The Surge cymbals are awesome. You can buy those without buying the whole kit (and kaboodle).

You asked Can I change say a crash cymbal to a china, or do I need a specific cymbal pad for the china? Dunno with the DM10, but with the DM5 the inputs are not dedicated, though on the back of the unit it may say Crash but you can plug a drum in there and it works fine, or another cymbal. It still sounds like a crash.

In regards to the sounds, yes I believe you can download sounds for the DM10.

I have the DM5 and it works fine for me.
    Last edited by Rickkus; 12-12-2011 at 09:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis DM10 Studio kit

Quote Originally Posted by Rickkus View Post
    I think the DM10 is a solid module - worth grabbing if you can get one cheap - two zone capability - better analog sounding hi hat.

The Realhead pads are 'ok' as far as sound deadening, but, they are not as good as mesh for quietness. I have a Realhead 10" pad and I don't use it. You might consider buying a set of real drums, and sewing the mesh skins yourself - install the triggers yourself, or buy some snap on triggers and put them on some real drums with mesh.

The Surge cymbals are awesome. You can buy those without buying the whole kit (and kaboodle).

You asked Can I change say a crash cymbal to a china, or do I need a specific cymbal pad for the china? Dunno with the DM10, but with the DM5 the inputs are not dedicated, though on the back of the unit it may say Crash but you can plug a drum in there and it works fine, or another cymbal. It still sounds like a crash.

In regards to the sounds, yes I believe you can download sounds for the DM10.

I have the DM5 and it works fine for me.
    Thanks man (or woman? , I really appreciate the answer, I posted this while ago and have since done some searching. I might just end up waiting a bit to go with Yamaha DTX700k's, after a lot of searching, I noticed not too many people were happy with the real head pads, and lot of people suggested the mesh head conversion, but for me that is too much work, I would need my dad to use the soldering gun, and get a bunch of materials.. I'd rather just have a kit that's ready to go. Also, I really like the feel of the Yamaha TSC pads, they feel better than mesh heads in my opinion.

thanks again dude!
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford