Thread: Ludwig snare drum

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig snare drum

Question for you folks. Back when I was in middle school around 1990 I was renting a ludwig supraphonic snare drum. It was a lease to own kind of deal and eventually I did own it...or my parents did at least. So the drum is in excellent shape. Heres a pic of it:

So Im in a dilema now and dont know what to do. I just bought one of those cheap OSP drum kits on ebay and Ive replaced the heads aside from the coated snare head. The snare sounds pretty fair as is and since its matching to the drum set I wanted to keep it. The older ludwig is a solid drum, they still sell for almost $200 in this shape on ebay. So Im just not sure what to do, whether to keep the ludwig and sell the matching snare. Side by side they sound nearly the same, even with the different style snare mounts and chains. So Im hoping someone here can give me some friendly advice on which to sell. Im thinking I could get better cymbals with the money from the ludwig versus the $40-50 I might make off the OSP snare drum which sounds just as good. Any suggestions would be great if you know anything about these ludwigs. Thanks!

~Dan

User Info Menu

i'm 90% sure that is not a supra.

User Info Menu

keep both. you never know when the one you don't use will come in handy. TRUST ME!!

User Info Menu

These people on ebay say theres are supraphonics, mine is nearly identical aside from the rib in the middle of the shell. Im not certain but I dont think supras were wooden shells, mine definitely is. Maybe its not a supra like I thought but regardless its the same shell and hardware. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2499&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4460&rd=1&rd=1

User Info Menu

notice that the ebay drums have 10 lugs rather than 8 like yours
    if it is wood, i think it is just as the head says. standard with the old ludwig rocker kits.

User Info Menu

Nice catch on the lugs! Okay so what I have is called a "standard ludwig rocker"?? Just curious so I can clarify what the heck this thing is. There isnt exactly a ludwig manual about what drums look like what. But my gut feeling is you're right, its probably a rocker because it says it on the bottom head as well and the rocker drums were popular during the 80's.

User Info Menu

keep them i got a ludwig brass and it sounds very decent