Thread: Need Help W/ Roland CY-8 Cymbals and Alesis Trigger I/O

User Info Menu

Default Need Help W/ Roland CY-8 Cymbals and Alesis Trigger I/O

Basically I can't get my CY-8 cymbals to work with my Alesis Trigger I/O. I tried every setting on the trigger I/O known to man and nothing. If I whack the crap out of the cymbals sometimes I get a response but its always intermittent and usually doesn't work at all. I found a video on youtube of a guy stating he's using CY-8's with a Trigger I/O so there has to be a way to get them to work. I originally bought them off of Ebay so I'm wondering if the piezo switches are just shot. If need be I could try replacing them and see where that gets me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Help W/ Roland CY-8 Cymbals and Alesis Trigger I/O

Not long ago I had to get a couple of Alesis I/O trigger units for both my Alesis sets. Silly question to ask, but are we assuming you already got your Alesis I/O MIDI'ed into a Roland module? Or are you just using the Trigger I/O itself with the Roland cymbals plugged into it?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I'm currently running everything into the Trigger I/O which is then interfaced USB into EZDrummer on my laptop. The only reason I did this originally was to save myself from buying a $250 Roland module. I had some time to mess around with them last night and I noticed that the choke trigger works on both cymbals but nothing more. I know the ride input on the Trigger I/O is meant for a dual trigger ride but again I receive nothing on this input as well (only the choke sound). I also noticed that my FD-7 hihat trigger is not changing the midi note for my hihat. If I set the hihat for an open sounding hihat note, strike the hihat and then hit the pedal it sounds like a closing hihat however if I stay on the pedal and strike the hihat again it still sounds open. (I tried setting the notes correctly as per the trigger i/o reference manual but still nothing). I'm starting to believe I bought a bunch of incompatible hardware here. If I have to mod anything then so be it I have electronics background and am capable of the simple soldering tasks of implementing new piezo switches etc. but I have no experience with electronic drums as I always had acoustic sets. I just recently was in need of an electronic set as the girlfriend and myself moved into an apartment.

User Info Menu

Drumbledore,

By listening to what Mikey had to say I believe that my issue with the hihat pedal may just be my stereo cable. I'm going to try switching it out with a mono cable and see how that goes. As for the cymbals, I still have no idea. I left Mikey a comment and we'll see what input he has.