Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who is the most influencial drummer(s) of all time?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Who is the most influencial drummer(s) of all time?

Being a rational and pragmatic guy, I see a thread like this and I try to put all the personal opinions aside and just deal with the facts. Like in a court of law.

Who cares what one thinks of the Beatles or of Ringo or his drumming? The FACT still remains that the Beatles were the MOST influential music group ever. It may have been for many reasons. I suspect timing. They came at a time when media was really beginning to come of age. Restlessness in youth. Vietnam! Who nows?!

I've already been through the part about Ringos influence on the Ludwig drum company alone, if any cared to read it a few posts back.

If I was a lawyer and trying this case, I would win it hands down on the EVIDENCE.

I submit to the jury: "Ringo Starr (due to the general success of the Beatles) had the most influence over drumming and pop culture."

When we get emotional about these things, the discussion digresses. When I see some of the statements made here, it's looks like the original question has been mis-interpreted.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 12-21-2011 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    It may have been for many reasons. I suspect timing. They came at a time when media was really beginning to come of age.
    I can get behind that - I've had discussions with others about The Beatles and their place in Rock and Roll history. To me, the band has always been somewhat overrated, but the discussion usually boils down to agreeing that timing and the role of the media at that time had a lot to do with it. The exposure they got was combined with what was going on in the world at the time where people were shedding old paradigms and norms toward a much freer way of living and thinking.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

doctor dirt Guest

I have alot of positive influences throughout my musical years. Prior to the 1950s it would have to be the great Chick Webb not only could he out play the greats from the early 30s up to the mid 40s he also was the band leader in the best band of that era. The band was undefeated in the "battles" against all the welknown bands of that era.
    As for the era after 1950 I'd have to say Elvin Jones when he was with Coltrane not so much the latter years. Also Mitch Mitchell he fussed a jazz style into rock and pop and I think he was the best at it. He was challenged playing with and for Jimi Hendrix and I thought his approach to being a steady player who at the drop of a hat could move forward in a song and play what has become legendary figures. Three very inovated fellows with completely different approaches to the same instrument, I think they were great and I don't use the word "Great" often. Doc

User Info Menu

this thread REALLY needs to be put to rest .......... there is no way to say who is the most influencial drummer. its not possible . if you ask a million people , you'll get a million different answers. there is no one person that everyone is going to agree on . and your not going to change anybodies mind . as said back a few pages back , it was the first guy that beat on a log with a stick and made people dance,,,,,, he was the guy .....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    this thread REALLY needs to be put to rest .......... there is no way to say who is the most influencial drummer. its not possible . if you ask a million people , you'll get a million different answers. there is no one person that everyone is going to agree on . and your not going to change anybodies mind . as said back a few pages back , it was the first guy that beat on a log with a stick and made people dance,,,,,, he was the guy .....
    I think that the idea of the thread was to promote discussion about who some of the more influential drummers were. Unfortunately a few people like to make arguments (such as arguing that Ringo was somehow not influential as a drummer, simply because he was well known) based solely on their own opinion without keeping an open mind to other ideas. There seems to be a lot of that going on around here these days.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

so who is correct ? nobody/everybody ... i think everybody gave their opinion, and nobody seemed to change anybodies mind . because its an opinion.. everybody has one ... just because you think your right doesnt mean its right . and just because you think somebody is wrong , it doesnt make it wrong .... its just an opinion. he can voice his just as you and the rest of us voiced ours. there is no correct answer.......
    Last edited by atomcorr2; 12-21-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Again, that's not really the point of the thread - the answer is both - no one is right and everyone is right.

Oddly enough, for the people with an open mind looking at this thread, you'd probably be surprised at who did some Youtube research off of some of the names that were mentioned.

But that's the trick - you have to have an open mind and be willing to think outside of the box.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Last edited by atomcorr2; 12-21-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

But I have tried to go beyond opinion and provide the historical FACTS.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Well, I think it started with this guy.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnwOE_44D9M"]Mel Brooks - How Music Was Invented - YouTube[/ame]

:P :P :P
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Folks, the concept of this thread is to give an opinion as to who you feel is the most influential drummer. There will never be a right or wrong answer here, because opinions will vary. There is nothing wrong with laying out your reasons for your opinion, but let's please understand that this is not a subject where an absolute winner is going to be crowned. Let's also be careful about how we frame another's opinion. Give respect to each other's opinion, knowing that this is a topic very similar to asking who is the greatest NBA (or NFL, or NHL, or AFL, etc.) player of all time? There are just too many variables to arrive at a definitive answer, although there are many who will have their favorites - and they each have a right to their opinion, without being denegrated for their opinion.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Jordan, Montana, Gretzky, Namanth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Jordan, Montana, Gretzky, Namanth
    You crack me up! Great response!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thank you sir!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    knowing that this is a topic very similar to ask who is the greatest NBA (or NFL, or NHL, or AFL, etc.) player of all time?

Easy - George Best, Manchester United (amongst others) & N Ireland.
    English First division (now Premier League)

what that man could do with football (soccer ball)
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Prolly much easier to ascertain with sports figures because there are stats.

Musicians not so easy.

All I know is that when Beatles arrived , being a musician was no longer for the elite or "schooled" people. Kids took to playing in droves. Drums and guitars had unprecedented rises in sales. Those are facts that can be researched and ascertained.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    How do you figure I have a "better than everybody" attitude, or that my comments are somehow smart-alecky in nature? I'm certainly not better than everybody, and I don't think I ever purported myself to be that. I have presented my opinions that I feel I have backed with some fairly sound reasoning - isn't that what we are supposed to do in a thread like this? I have yet to tell anyone else that their opinion doesn't count, but part of why I have participated so much in this thread is to defend my posts from others who seem to think that my opinion doesn't count.

Since apparently I'm no longer wanted in this thread, I'll bow out.

Oh - and how about that Hal Blaine guy!?
    Last edited by trickg; 12-22-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I think that the idea of the thread was to promote discussion about who some of the more influential drummers were. Unfortunately a few people like to make arguments (such as arguing that Ringo was somehow not influential as a drummer, simply because he was well known) based solely on their own opinion without keeping an open mind to other ideas. There seems to be a lot of that going on around here these days.
    Can you hear yourself man? Just chill out.

User Info Menu

And on that note... Thread Closed.

Merry Christmas everyone!