Thread: Is This Worth It?

User Info Menu

Default Is This Worth It?

I'm buying a beginner drum kit to add onto mine (Check my sig for the specs of my current kit.) . I'm thinking about buying this kit: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/drum-kit_W0QQ...QQcmdZViewItem

Is it worth the $100Au? If the skins are dodgy like mine were when I bought my kit, thats fine I have at least three sets of skins for every drum except my bass. If the cymbal and stand are dodgy then that's $150Au down the drain, same with the hi-hat.

User Info Menu

Where are you from roger?

If that is a yamaha. And its not missing anything important and its not bidded much higher. You should try. Check for postage though. Normally on ebay you pay more for postage than the item.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Moonee Ponds, Vic. I'm thinking about buying this kit for the reason that I'm close enough to be no more than an hours drive away so I can pick it up.

User Info Menu

I would go for it then. I wish cheap kits were dribving distance from me. Is it a yammi?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Can't tell from the picture, I'll email the guy selling it.

User Info Menu

My first impression was that the cymbals that come with these beginner sets are normally pretty crappy. If you're looking for extra cymbals and stands your best bet may be to just save the money look for used cymbals and stands to buy to add onto your kit. But if you want a cheap kit for practice, or as a backup etc. This is I'm guessing a really good price. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is between the US$ and your currency but I'm guessing they are close.

User Info Menu

80cents= $1 Au or around that.

I'm actually looking to add the drums onto my kit. I've wanted another bass drum since I found out they were widely used on kits a few years ago. I'm going to put the Hi-Hat on my right. I'll tune the toms a lot higher than I currently have mine because I believe that the toms are exactly the same size.

User Info Menu

Im sorry dude but i think your wasting your time and money. If you want double bass. Go for a double kick peddle and save up for more cymbals and drums because adding low quality with high quality.... Double basses i wouldnt recomend to anyone who isnt playing biiiiiig shows and can actually hear a difference (or cares about the difference)

Its a matter of opinion yes. But i think that would be money wasted now.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

don't buy the kit. like steve says get the double bass pedal and call it a day. Learn how to play what you have like a madman, then with your knowledge and experience if you want a boatload of toms get a boatload of toms. About 10 years ago I bought an 11 piece kit (2 kicks 9 toms) and used it as an 11 piece for about a year then broke it down to 5 pieces when I learned not only did I not know what to do with all that but also that I didn't need it. To this day I play 5 pieces with 3 cymbal. I know big kits look nice, but seriously, unless you are really good at what you have now getting bigger won't do anything for you.

User Info Menu

I currently own a double pedal. I believe there are only a few things that I can't do with this kit. I've been thinking of buying another bass drum since I found out about them (As I've stated in my above post.). It's the exact same thing with the toms, I've always wanted a bigger kit.

Personally I think that for $100 this is worth it. My kit when I bought it wasn't that great, the skins broke within a month, the cymbal stand that came with it recently broke a month or two ago.

I don't really need more cymbals, I'm actually doing fine with the three I have now. The ride and hi-hat that will come with the kit are just bonuses and if they die in a month I'll replace when I get the money.

User Info Menu

If you've made up your mind already, why did you ask us?

And remember, a $100 kit is just that a $100 kit. It's probably at best 4-5 ply and sounds like you're beating a wet paper bag. I still say pocket your $100 and save for a nicer setup. But do what you want.

User Info Menu

I don't actually remember why I asked >.> but I think it was because I just wanted a little input even though my mind was already kind of made up. And I'm actually hoping that the kit is a $500 one that the guy doesn't actually know how much it's worth and selling it cheap because it's used.

User Info Menu

You prolly should have found out if it is a 500$ one before you bidded. It said on there *-*(Parts missing)*-*
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

If you're going for the big kit then go for the plentiful cymbals. Too many drums with too little cymbals looks ridiculous. Also, if you already have a nice kit, don't add crap. What happens is that the crap drums make the good drums sound like crap, not the other way around. Save up and buy the best you can. Don't try and nickel and dime yourself a kit. Better to have 5 good drums than 10 lousy ones. Better to have 3 good cymbals than 10 lousy cymbals. Better to have 3 solid and rugged stands than 10 lousy stands. You will be much, much better off in the long run. Take that too the bank!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Stix no's Look at his pic :P He has been in the game a long time and knows his drums :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

when I started off, my beginners kit was a percussion plus which was ok for what it was and I recall asking how much for another bass drum to hook up to it. The salesman told me that it would cost a ridiculous amount of money to get the single piece and advised I get the double kick pedal instead. I spoke to my teacher and he advised the same. I ended up buying the double kick and now I am so glad I did. Having two bass drums would be nice too. I personally like the look of a single bass drum