Thread: Ear protection & metronome ?????

User Info Menu

Default Ear protection & metronome ?????

I've just started playing the drums and im worried about my ears. I don't really want to spend loads on special muffs, any ideas? I also want a metronome that does not cost a fortune. Any advice would be great. Thanks

User Info Menu

Just your standard 5/10$ pair at a bunnings or discount hardware store will do fine.... Or your chemist/drug store should have little plugs you roll up put in your ears and let them expand. Both work fine. You dont need anythin special for drumming until you think you need it. Because when you think you do. You notice whats wrong with what you have
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I'm using the hear-Os ear plugs they sell in any music store, and they do a decent job for me. I also have a Wittner Metronome which I love and didn't cost a fortune. I went to a music store auditioned the metronomes and picked the loudest one I could find and it was the Wittner MT-50. It also has an LED that blinks with the click or you can turn the click off and just have the LED. Best thing about it: it uses a cheap old standard 9 volt battery that lasts forever in it. I have a small boss metronome also that takes two of the button type batteries and they are expensive and don't last as long, and it isn't loud enough to hear when you're playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robvam View Post
    I've just started playing the drums and im worried about my ears. I don't really want to spend loads on special muffs, any ideas? I also want a metronome that does not cost a fortune. Any advice would be great. Thanks
    I agree with Stevo. Cheap foam earplugs are sufficient as long as their inserted correctly.

Metronomes? I've always liked the Dr. Beats. They're expensive but subdivide everything so you can come up with thousands of combinations. It also plays triplets and helps subdivide polyrhythms.

User Info Menu

I like the db-90, as it is the only metronome I can find that will change time signatures and tempos at a preset count.

I personally would go with the hear-o's. They are cheap you can get them at the drugstore too. And personally the tapered accordian design they have blocks sound without distorting the sound as much as the foam ones.

User Info Menu

Cool Ear protection and metronome?????

Quote Originally Posted by robvam View Post
    If you do nothing else, get the ear plugs first! Hear-Os are good, but you can also find foam ear plugs at drugstores and/or hardware stores.

As for the metronomes, I have seen inexpensive "travel" metronomes in the $15-$25 range...but your drum store (or DrumBum.com) can help you get a good quality metronome for not too much more than that!)

Welcome aboard, robvam...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I dont know models but i would get an electronic one i could do through headdies.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Hi,

Rather than spend big bucks on a good metronome, why don't you buy a cheap electronic keyboard that has an onboard rhythm generator?

Or an inexpensive drum machine that can have beats programmed for you to play along with.

Or, if you have a computer, use drum software to provide a beat.

Good luck,

Paul.