Thread: Monitors! Help!!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Monitors! Help!!

Alright everyone my birthday is coming up in a week (dec. 3rd) and my parents are going to give me a pretty big present because I babysit younger siblings while they were in europe for 2 weeks.

I've narrowed it to M Audio, mostly because MF is having a huge sale on the CX and BX monitors.

I need some that I can use for listening to music and watching movies on my laptop. But mostly for monitoring and editing recorded tracks.

1st: I hear that the CX line is far superior to the BX line is far as accuracy is concerned. agree?

2nd: Is there any reason to go with 8" over 5" drivers if im located on a short wall? I hear sometimes that bigger drivers just sound "muddy" because the get the extra lows. Would 5" drivers be more of a clean sound?

3rd: I cannot find anywhere if the CX series comes in pairs or if it is individuals?

4th: Does anyone have history with both to tell me which they truly thought were better?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Monitors! Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    1st: I hear that the CX line is far superior to the BX line is far as accuracy is concerned. agree?

2nd: Is there any reason to go with 8" over 5" drivers if im located on a short wall? I hear sometimes that bigger drivers just sound "muddy" because the get the extra lows. Would 5" drivers be more of a clean sound?

3rd: I cannot find anywhere if the CX series comes in pairs or if it is individuals?

4th: Does anyone have history with both to tell me which they truly thought were better?
    Good evening, Zeta...
    That's one hell of a present, I would say. Pretty high-class gear.
    1: The CX line is more suited to a less-than-perfect environment, and can be 'shaped' to adapt ('home studio'..?), BX for a more acoustically sound studio. There would be no 'far better than...'; rather 'suited to a different environment'.
    2: Similarly, 8" is for a medium/large dedicated 'studio' space, 5" is more suitable for a smaller room (home..?)
    3: One can buy as many as one needs, but they're sold individually (the price is for one, generally, unless it specifically says 'pair'...)
    4: Sorry, no history of either, but with any of them, you will almost certain to be more than satisfied for many years to come.
    If your parents are really up to this, I think I would recommend going easy on them, and plumping for the CX 5", not cheap, by any means, but much less than the BX 8". I'm not sure that you'd get any tangible benefit from the more expensive models.
    Your laptop had better have an inordinately high-end sound card to justify such quality monitors.
    Just my tuppence worth, hope this helps (and happy birthday, soon..!)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Monitors! Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Good evening, Zeta...
    That's one hell of a present, I would say. Pretty high-class gear.
    1: The CX line is more suited to a less-than-perfect environment, and can be 'shaped' to adapt ('home studio'..?), BX for a more acoustically sound studio. There would be no 'far better than...'; rather 'suited to a different environment'.
    2: Similarly, 8" is for a medium/large dedicated 'studio' space, 5" is more suitable for a smaller room (home..?)
    3: One can buy as many as one needs, but they're sold individually (the price is for one, generally, unless it specifically says 'pair'...)
    4: Sorry, no history of either, but with any of them, you will almost certain to be more than satisfied for many years to come.
    If your parents are really up to this, I think I would recommend going easy on them, and plumping for the CX 5", not cheap, by any means, but much less than the BX 8". I'm not sure that you'd get any tangible benefit from the more expensive models.
    Your laptop had better have an inordinately high-end sound card to justify such quality monitors.
    Just my tuppence worth, hope this helps (and happy birthday, soon..!)
    Thanks Dad! (lol)
    Yeah it is going to be for my small home studio setup in less than perfect conditions which is why the switches on the CX line were so pleasing, and the Cx5's are going for $150 a piece right now. So as payment for 2 weeks going home to babysit they said they would get me a nicer present, or at least the money towards it lol. I'm running through my macbook pro, probably through my focusrite saffire pro 40 as a sound card
    -Steven