Thread: Lets Be Real...A Zildjian Rules???.

User Info Menu

Default Lets Be Real...A Zildjian Rules???.

I finally bought an A Custom crash and I happen to think that AC's are some of the best crashes on the planet, but as soon as I replaced my A 16" Med Crash with an AC 16" Crash, I was left a bit cold.
    Yes, glassy, but no depth. Now I know why alot of people think 16" crashes are only good for accent/effect crashes. The 16" AC crash is with out a doubt a great "in and out" crash cymbal, but my 16" A Med Thin Crash has both the "crisp in and out" quality and the depth and wash of a much larger crash.
    Bottom line, I wont be trying to replacing my 16" A Crash again.
    Simply said, there is a reason A Zildjians are the most popular cymbals on the planet, and I think its because you will NEVER get a better and more versatile sound, especially for the money.
    Oh, and believe it or not, Im no "fan boy" and I happen to be very much a fan of all quality brands.
    OK...let's hear it.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 11-26-2011 at 05:05 AM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lets Be Real...A Zildjian Rules???.

i hit a K and an A yesterday and i liked the As better. my local GCs cymbal room stinks for sound tests. the K fell flat on my ears. i figured id really have to give it a good swipe to wake it up. the A just sang.

User Info Menu

Both A and AC are great cymbals. I favor Sabian AA and AAX though.

User Info Menu

Avedis(technically the real name of "A's") and A Customs are both excellent for what their intended purposes are. Go for Avedis if you tend to favor more wash, go for A custom if you need to hear more of a ping. Avedis won't disappoint, but if you feel like your sound dictates a different cymbal as is sometimes the case- you should go with that one. Don't expect one brand to have a complete answer for everything you need out of each individual part of your cymbal array that you play with; sometimes you have to look far and wide for the right ride or hi hat sound.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I still like my A Custom projections..but am looking at K's for some reason : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

i really dont understand bright vs dark when it comes to describing cymbal sound. id assume the K ride was darker than the A. i liked the sound of the K dont get me wrong but i play ZBTs and they are completely inconsistent. Ks or As are a huge investment.
    sucks living in ZBT-land. it takes alot of work to get what i want out of them. if i had to buy either yesterday i would have opted for the As all around, but for some reason that K ride intriques me. damn pretty in a barbaric way.

User Info Menu

There are so many different versions of K's it makes my head spin. The one I like the best from hitting them in the store is a Regular K 20", not the hybrid, or custom, constantinople, light or heavy. Even the 21" sounds different to me but that K 20" always sounds nice to me.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

there is a reason there are so many cymbals on the market. what you like may not b what i like etc.. we all have different tastes, play what sound good to your ears.

i have ben. playing As for 30 years and i love them
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I prefer AAX Xplosion crashes,prefer 18" the AAX Fast Crashes over all of the cymbals I have hit.It just has the sound I am looking for. I don't think either brand is better then the other,both are great brands when you get in the higher end of the cymbals. I will say I haven't heard a Sabian ride that I have actually fell in love with but did finally settle for the AA RBDR but looking at an HHX RBDR. I had a 20" Zildjian Projection ride and liked it,but it wasn't the sound I was looking for.It was nice and heavy but I wanted to go with Sabian since every cymbal I own is Sabian.
    I do like the 18" A custom China as well,a friend has one and it's just got the perfect sound.
    BUT if you really want a nice clean sounding crash,Some Paistes kind of kill Sabian and Zildjian as far as sound,Paiste is just to brittle and break to easy.I know a few drummers who switched brands because they got tired of sending the cymbals in all the time but agreed they sounded best.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I like the sound of Avedis cymbals, particularly the hats and rides out of that series, but for me I find that where those cymbals shine are in environments where it's ok to play with some solid volume because they don't open up quite as well in lower volume sitautions - to me, they seem to need to be hit a bit harder to get them to open up. That, or I'm just used to my HHX Studio crashes, which are extremely responsive and open up with even a light hit, and yet don't distort with a harder hit.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Bottom line...16" cymbals just aren't up to the task in the first place, of giving a good punch in a crash, I use only 17" and up for crashes. I have an A Custom 18" & 19" that are well up to the task...Don't leave home with out them.

I loved the sound from my 16" A Custom but sold it to get a larger crash sound from my cymbals...That's my opinion that works for me...your experince may be different.
    Oh..maybe there's a reason there's two size A's on the new and the older Zildjians, I'll take the big A's on the AC.
    Last edited by PlanetZildjian; 12-05-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: after thought
    9 out of 10 people addicted to brake fluid can't stop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetZildjian View Post
    Bottom line...16" cymbals just aren't up to the task in the first place, of giving a good punch in a crash, I use only 17" and up for crashes. I have an A Custom 18" & 19" that are well up to the task...Don't leave home with out them.

I loved the sound from my 16" A Custom but sold it to get a larger crash sound from my cymbals...That's my opinion that works for me...your experince may be different.
    Depends on the music you are playing - in a lot of the contemporary Christian music I've played, having a nice bright crash that gets in and gets out is a good thing, and that's how I use my 16" HHX studio crash.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetZildjian View Post

I have a 14" 15" and 16" on my kit along with my 2 18" crashes.I have been hitting the 14" and 15" more then the bigger cymbals lately. But I have my 18's up front and center since they are my main go to crashes.
    Really a personal preference.I didn't use an 18" until the AAX Xplosion Fast Crash line came out,them are the best crashes I have heard.I hate all the other sizes of the fast crashes,just the 18's stick out more to me.Considering on getting another one since I like having the same exact crash cymbals in front/center of my kit.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals