Thread: Electronic kits

User Info Menu

Default Electronic kits

I'll be getting an E-kit soon (for private reasons, its complicated) and after searching around (price range $800-$1200) The Alesis DM10 kit looks like a good deal, $1099, actual triple flanged hoops, mylar heads, I'm looking to play the kit as I would an acoustic, not differently, so I want it to feel as close as possible to an acoustic. Yesterday I gave a local music store a call, and asked if
    a)they stock alesis products
    b)they stock or can order me an extra Alesis real head kick trigger pad
    c)electronic add-on cymbals

The drum guy informed me Alesis products were "garbage," and that Roland or Yamaha would be better, he suggested the roland TD4, or even a used TD9 would be better. The TD4 if I am not mistaken, has rubber pads, instead of mylar or mesh. He went on to say that Alesis DM10's had a 95% return rate. I think he is just trying to sell me things, like a salesperson would do. Not to say there isn't any truth to what he's saying, but the TD9's are way out of my price range, and the TD4's don't *look* like they feel close to acoustic heads. I don't really care about the module, as long as I can get a good variety of sounds, that sound decent I don't mind, and from what I've gathered, the module seems to be the most expensive part.

Can anyone speak for the TD4's or DM10's here? 95% seems ridiculously high, and I guess I have to see it to believe it.

Also, would you think its a good idea to buy a lower end drum module, with higher end pads?

Thanks
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Default Re: Electronic kits

I use the Alesis DM-5 pro for home practice and It's a great kit.

From your description of the DM-10, they share the same pads, and they do feel something like the real thing although 'Not quite'. Having said that, I doubt even the high end Roland kits feel 'Exactly' like an acoustic. Mine doesn't have cymbal chokes or variable hats, but mine was only £300. It does have a duel zone snare pad though. The DM-10 will have more functions I guess.

95% return rate??..................I very much doubt it.

In 18 months of thrashing mine 3 or 4 times a week, I've only encountered one problem. The ride pad stopped working and I took it apart to find a wire off the piezo transducer. I simply soldered it back on and it's been good ever since.

User Info Menu

Nothing feels like an acoustic except an acoustic .. I have heard good things about the new dm10 I think you should be fine with it. Personally I am a big fan of the yamaha's (and have a dtexpress IV IIS)and my second choice would be the rolands. but the dm10 studio kit is not a cheap pos that will break if you look at it crosseyed.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I play a couple of even older DM5's. I'm a little bit ambivalent when it comes to the DM10 pads. But you definitely cannot knock the feel of the Alesis Surge cymbals (that's what I upgraded on my kits, plus added the Alesis I/O units, which allows the choke functions, etc on my kits). Once you go for Surge cymbals as your cymbal triggers, you'll never want to go back to the rubber feel of any other brand.

Sounds like your drum guy is a little misinformed when calling Alesis products "garbage". The Alesis DM5 module was developed from the older D4, which was often used in studios in the past to replace or tweak drum sounds. They also introduced ADAT recorders (Alesis Digital Audio Tape), which in turn saw the boom of project and home recording studios. And never mind their reverb units, compressors, tube pre-amps and drum machines that they've been producing for years and years. Not bad for "rubbish" company, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    I play a couple of even older DM5's. I'm a little bit ambivalent when it comes to the DM10 pads. But you definitely cannot knock the feel of the Alesis Surge cymbals (that's what I upgraded on my kits, plus added the Alesis I/O units, which allows the choke functions, etc on my kits). Once you go for Surge cymbals as your cymbal triggers, you'll never want to go back to the rubber feel of any other brand.

Sounds like your drum guy is a little misinformed when calling Alesis products "garbage". The Alesis DM5 module was developed from the older D4, which was often used in studios in the past to replace or tweak drum sounds. They also introduced ADAT recorders (Alesis Digital Audio Tape), which in turn saw the boom of project and home recording studios. And never mind their reverb units, compressors, tube pre-amps and drum machines that they've been producing for years and years. Not bad for "rubbish" company, lol.
    Dude you're a percussive genius! I have never known, nor heard of anyone with more knowledge, interest, and/or wisedom when it comes to drumming.

Sorry to just single him out, all of the replies helped a lot, I think that guy was full of poo, I feel a lot more comfortable getting a DM10 now :P He did have a compelling and truthful argument, which is why I started believing him.
    He argued that they don't even stock Alesis products because they are so bad.

Again thanks everyone

Also the only reason I am not getting the pro kit (the one with the surge cymbals) is because the kit will probably be in the living room, since the basement this kit will be in eventually isn't finished yet, nor will it be for several months at least.
    Last edited by Fifty; 11-26-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

If you're going for sound quality, you won't like the Alesis as much as the Yamaha or the Roland. My friend had a DM-10 and I was quite underwhelmed with it. Granted I have a TD-20 to compare it with, but I've also played TD-4, 9 and 12's.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Fifty, you don't have to have the one brand product making up your set. If you prefer the Roland or Yamaha sounds, go for them. The thing is that you could even use the chokable Alesis Surge cymbals on a number of Roland or Yamaha sets. It doesn't take much to check the sites of Roland, Alesis, Yamaha, Pintech, etc and see which triggers are compatible to whatever module that you prefer to use. Basically all MIDI electronic percussion instruments should work with each other, they've been like that for quite a while, unlike the old days of electronic drums, keyboards and such.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8