Thread: triplets

User Info Menu

Default triplets

Its so hard for me to do triplets on the bass pedal. just wondering if everyone expereinces this alot or i just have weak feet
    also, i can do triplets better if i use heal down... whats the deal here?

Shazane Guest

I had trouble at first, playing only 3 is much more difficult than just playing constantly, so I kept doing 4 instead of 3 because 4 feels more natural. You just need to practice it alot, and once you get it down it just becomes automatic.

Also it can help to practice with a beat that has something else immediately following the triplets, where the fourth would be, this causes your mind to switch over to the next part so you aren't compelled to play beyond the triplet.

When playing heel down, you have more control but less stamina, I wouldn't get in the habit of doing your triplets that way because you wouldn't be able to keep up the beat for very long and might accidentally do it for other techniques and screw up.

User Info Menu

technically you're supposed to play heel down. I don't, but that's the technically sound way to do it. When I play trips heel up I scoot my foot toward the back of the pedal and with each hit my foot comes farther forward. Understand?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    technically you're supposed to play heel down. I don't, but that's the technically sound way to do it. When I play trips heel up I scoot my foot toward the back of the pedal and with each hit my foot comes farther forward. Understand?
    I think, so your not hitting in the same part of the pedal, your foot is moving which makes it easier? ill try that right now.

User Info Menu

hmm it didnt work

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The way I do it is hit with my heel then toe then kinda slide and hit with my toe again. It's kinda hard to explain and I know a lot of people do them differently. My teacher said he kinda presses with his whole foot then toe then heel. When you do a double try to think of extending it out to one more note, that's how I figured out how to play them anyways. Also make sure each hit sounds consistent like you would with pretty much anything else in your playing. Hope that helps

User Info Menu

I think that is the same style that Steve Smith uses. I tried that once but I never really got into it.
    I never really have use triplets in fast sequence, more like every once in awhile in major impacts during whatever song we are jamming to.
    Truth be told I need to start getting into triplets more, but my advice would be just to find whatever siuts you best and then practice like crazy!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

I think the hardest part about bass drum triplets is keeping time on the hi hat and not slipping in an extra hit.
    Having said that, to build up your technique, try doing this:
    HH 1 2
    BD 1 & 2
    I did this and now I can go pretty fast, fitting in 4/5 bass drums between snare beats on a single pedal
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Lafirin, when you get your double kick, it will be easier to play and control the triplets, but to get them sounding nice and fat and smooth, it will take plenty of practice and time. I play my trips on a double kick which works well for me.

User Info Menu

oh by the way.. i love triplet kicks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Lafirin, when you get your double kick, it will be easier to play and control the triplets, but to get them sounding nice and fat and smooth, it will take plenty of practice and time. I play my trips on a double kick which works well for me.
    accept what about on a single pedal? thats what im talking about

User Info Menu

ok well you need to build strength and stamina in your foot aside from learning the best technique that works for you. An exercise I do to built strength and stamina is what my teacher used to call threes. Set your metronome to a comfortable speed and hit the bass pedal three times evenly between each note 123 123 123 123. When you practice technique or kick style you want then incorporate that technique to this strengthening exercise. It is simple but very effective to build stamina. You can count it as 1andA2andA3andA4andA....whatever works then slowly build the speed up in time. I also keep the hi hat going with my left foot on the 1234.

When you get your double kick you move from foot to foot right 123 left 123 etc etc. There are more strengthening exercises. Ill try and find some more tonight
    Last edited by livewire80; 06-27-2007 at 07:42 AM.

User Info Menu

here is some useful information on building endurance for your feet. There is more out there and I am finding it useful to so I will keep looking into it.
    The feet exercises he speaks about here are for double but you can implement those exercises to the single pedal.

User Info Menu

I picked this up pretty quick. It was just hard to keep the beat even. So yeah. Practice.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    here is some useful information on building endurance for your feet. There is more out there and I am finding it useful to so I will keep looking into it.
    The feet exercises he speaks about here are for double but you can implement those exercises to the single pedal.
    sorry i forgot the link

http://www.tigerbill.com/drumlessons/footspeed.htm

User Info Menu

I had this a lot. Just practice and you will improve. I learnt to do them when i was a beginner by playing along to "dirty harry" By the Gorillaz. I use the regular heel down way.

User Info Menu

thanks guys!