Thread: Quick Snare Question...

User Info Menu

Default Quick Snare Question...

Hey,

So on my snare at the moment, I have an Evans Genera HD Dry batter, and a 300 side. I've tried tuning a few different ways, but I'm going for a high pitched snare, with low toms.

My question is, no matter what I do, there's a high overtone, like a pitch bend up, after I hit the snare. I've taken the batter down to the lowest it can without rippling, and it's still there. It's annoying, because I got this head for the lack of ring.

Any help?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quick Snare Question...

That's your reso head, not the batter side. You can try detuning your reso a little.

If you are going for a high pitched snare, however, I would lose the HD Dry and just get a single play like the G1 or Ambassador. You'll have a hard time getting the HD Dry to sound "high".
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    That's your reso head, not the batter side. You can try detuning your reso a little.

If you are going for a high pitched snare, however, I would lose the HD Dry and just get a single play like the G1 or Ambassador. You'll have a hard time getting the HD Dry to sound "high".
    I'm not that fussed, to be honest. Just want the annoying ring to go. The problem is, if I detune the batter it seems too, muddy.

User Info Menu

Detune the reso, not the batter. Or tune up the reso higher. You are probably getting a ring b/c of the difference in the tuning between the heads.

You also have to remember that in a mix with instruments, that ring goes away, and without it the snare actually sounds very flat to the audience.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Detune the reso, not the batter. Or tune up the reso higher. You are probably getting a ring b/c of the difference in the tuning between the heads.

You also have to remember that in a mix with instruments, that ring goes away, and without it the snare actually sounds very flat to the audience.
    That's the problem I said about before. If I detune the reso, it pretty much ripples, so it's not really an option.

User Info Menu

Oh, you said detune the batter so I got confused.

If you are tuning so low that you get a ripple, then I would tune way up. Generally speaking you tune snare heads (both sides) pretty darn high and then tune down from there to adjust. It's not like toms.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Oh, you said detune the batter so I got confused.

If you are tuning so low that you get a ripple, then I would tune way up. Generally speaking you tune snare heads (both sides) pretty darn high and then tune down from there to adjust. It's not like toms.
    That's the process I've done. I went low, high, same thing.

I'll clear my head and try again tomorrow. Thanks man.

User Info Menu

One more strange piece of advice I use to temper the ring on my Pearl brass snare: use SHORTER snares(13" on a 14" snare, ex.) The small, flat snare wire supports(?), where the wires are soldered, and the tensioned straps or strings actually act as ring dampers. Goes against everything everyone tells you, but it works!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    One more strange piece of advice I use to temper the ring on my Pearl brass snare: use SHORTER snares(13" on a 14" snare, ex.) The small, flat snare wire supports(?), where the wires are soldered, and the tensioned straps or strings actually act as ring dampers. Goes against everything everyone tells you, but it works!
    Damn, that's smart! If I can't tune it out tomorrow, I'll try this for sure.

Thanks man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Nice tip!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware