Thread: Wuhan S Series Cymbal Review

User Info Menu

Default Wuhan S Series Cymbal Review

Ok, I have been gone forever because I got my cymbals and have been unable to leave my drumset. I got the Wuhan S series that ddrumbum recommended and just wanted to leave some feedback, since there was a bit of discussion about them. At first, I was dissappointed, because they sounded kind of like China's, which I don't like the sound of. My drummer friend told me that cymbals kind of have to be broken in to find their sound and to just play 'em and they will sound better. So, that said, I am now happy with them, though the ride riiiiinnnnnngggss too much for my taste and I have to be sure to hit the bell only, though it still rings more than I like. It makes a great extra crash though. They seem very well made and sturdy, I am not a real heavy hitter but I have had some hard hitting experienced drummers play on my kit and there are no problems. So, I am happy with them and would recommend them, considering the price of $159 for the hi-hats crash and ride. They will do fine for a few years I am sure, though I am not satisified to the point where I will never buy cymbals again. I plan to eventually replace or at least add the Zildjian Custom A's. The first thing I will replace is the ride. Any advice on how to mellow out that ring? When I am practicing this particular beat I am trying to get down, I throw a little towel on it, it drives me nuts when I hit it over and over.

Buy Wuhan Cymbals

More on Wuhan Cymbals

User Info Menu

vic firth AJ5's and other jazz sticks with small tips...or certain small tip shapes will quiet your ride down quite a bit..just some advice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina View Post
    Ok, I have been gone forever because I got my cymbals and have been unable to leave my drumset. I got the Wuhan S series that ddrumbum recommended and just wanted to leave some feedback, since there was a bit of discussion about them. At first, I was dissappointed, because they sounded kind of like China's, which I don't like the sound of. My drummer friend told me that cymbals kind of have to be broken in to find their sound and to just play 'em and they will sound better. So, that said, I am now happy with them, though the ride riiiiinnnnnngggss too much for my taste and I have to be sure to hit the bell only, though it still rings more than I like. It makes a great extra crash though. They seem very well made and sturdy, I am not a real heavy hitter but I have had some hard hitting experienced drummers play on my kit and there are no problems. So, I am happy with them and would recommend them, considering the price of $159 for the hi-hats crash and ride. They will do fine for a few years I am sure, though I am not satisified to the point where I will never buy cymbals again. I plan to eventually replace or at least add the Zildjian Custom A's. The first thing I will replace is the ride. Any advice on how to mellow out that ring? When I am practicing this particular beat I am trying to get down, I throw a little towel on it, it drives me nuts when I hit it over and over.
    I am glad you are happy with them for the most part, I just think you can't go wrong with them for the price.
    As far as the ringing on the ride, I strongly recommend getting three 3" long pieces of duct tape(ONLY DUCTAPE)and sticking the strips on the underside of the ride, laying horizontally in the middle between the bell and outer edge, staying closer to the outer edge, I'd say about 2" from the edge, this should cut down alot of the excess ringing, if three does not do it, add as many as it takes to get the desired sound you are after or vise versa.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Yea, what size sticks do you use? The B series sticks (5B and 2B my sticks) and other fat heads on sticks are meant to make the bell ring, their more rock sticks, batter is what B stands for

Look into some smaller A series sticks, A meaning all purpose but are great for jazz, any small head is

User Info Menu

a moongell will do the trick as well

User Info Menu

I thought about tape but never even thought about sticks! I will try these tricks, I wasn't sure if it was OK to put tape on cymbals, but will give it a shot. Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

I thought about tape but never even thought about sticks! I will try these tricks, I wasn't sure if it was OK to put tape on cymbals, but will give it a shot. Thanks guys.
    well tape wont wreck it or anything, just try whatever works.

User Info Menu

I use moongell to quiet the wash and overtones on my B8, it works great if you don't want to put duct tape on.

User Info Menu

What is Moongell? And Lafirin, I have seen your drums, they are mostly tape, with a little bit of drums in between...

User Info Menu

Moon gel is a little pice of gel that feels a bit like gummibears. I use it to keep the noise down and they work for me.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Drummina;34564]What is Moongell? drums, = QUOTE]

the enemy of resonance lol.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=funkymcstain;34693]
    What is Moongell? drums, = QUOTE]

the enemy of resonance lol.
    I second that.

User Info Menu

When the cymbals are as bad as mine it doesnt matter as long as its more quiet.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review, I have recently beeing looking into picking up some of the S series cymbals since they are cheap but this gives me more to go on. For the money its hard to pass up on them unless money isnt a problem.

User Info Menu

I read an article in Drum magazine about this exact same thing. They recommend putting a piece of duct tape ( or something comparable to) on the bottom of the cymbal. They said that will take out that excess ringing.