Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent snare under $250????

User Info Menu

Default Decent snare under $250????

Hey guys, im looking for a decent snare that will be used as my main snare, not to be mistaken for a side snare. Just take note that i live in australia and prices for anything instrumental is whey overpriced. I mostly play metal and hard rock if that helps. Any other suggestions would be great

i was either looking at the PDP blackout snare drum, 5"x14" or 6"x14".
    Or maybe even a chad smith signature series snare.

I know a decent sounding snare under $250 is difficult to find, but ny suggestions would be great
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Decent snare under $250????

gotta give some love for the ludwig acrolite. its a great versitile snare drum and used prices are pretty reasonable.

User Info Menu

+1 to buying used. I'm in Australia too man, I feel your pain.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Pearl Sensitone Elite steel snare would be great for your style of music and affordable.

User Info Menu

I dont have it, but all i hear is good talk about Pork Pie little squealer(maple) its about 200. its decently deep, and is about 13" i think in diameter. although small, i heard it once, it was loud as heck!
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Acrolite, Pork Pie B.O.B., Pearl Sensitone. There's lots of good options in that price range, especially if you're willing to go used.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I snagged a Tama Artwood maple 13x6.5 for under $100 USD on eBay. New they go for about $200.

User Info Menu

Lucius, I know the price of drum equipment is a lot more in Australia than it is in the US, so I'll be guessing a bit here, especially since I don't know your used market. I would look at used Pearl Free Floating snares, especially since you can get additional shells down the road to convert the sound to fit your need. I would also look at used Tama Artwood snares, as mentioned, Ludwig Acrolites, as mentioned, and you might even find a few Mapex Black Panther Special Edition Cherry/Maple snares in you price range. That last one is the snare that was being given away with the now discontinued Mapex Pro M kits. I got one new for $129 a few years ago, when a drum shop was selling off over stock. At 13X6.5, it was a very good sounding snare. A friend even considered it the best best sounding snare that I had at the time.

Just few thoughts for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Another nice 13 x 6.5 choice in that range would be the Yamaha Musashi Oak.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Lucius, I know the price of drum equipment is a lot more in Australia than it is in the US, so I'll be guessing a bit here, especially since I don't know your used market. I would look at used Pearl Free Floating snares, especially since you can get additional shells down the road to convert the sound to fit your need. I would also look at used Tama Artwood snares, as mentioned, Ludwig Acrolites, as mentioned, and you might even find a few Mapex Black Panther Special Edition Cherry/Maple snares in you price range. That last one is the snare that was being given away with the now discontinued Mapex Pro M kits. I got one new for $129 a few years ago, when a drum shop was selling off over stock. At 13X6.5, it was a very good sounding snare. A friend even considered it the best best sounding snare that I had at the time.

Just few thoughts for you.
    I would love to find a Black Panther cherry/maple for a sweet price!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    gotta give some love for the ludwig acrolite. its a great versitile snare drum and used prices are pretty reasonable.
    +1
    that Chad smith snare is pretty good too, but I like aluminum better than steel. Get an acrolite. IMO it's a must have even if you end up settling on a different snare as your main down the road.
    Last edited by Deedubs!; 11-28-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Pearl Sensitone Elite steel snare would be great for your style of music and affordable.
    I was looking at one of these. At my local drum shop they do have this. But ATM I am broke and on Saturday I bought tons of stuff so i will be waiting till after Christmas or putting a snare on lay by. Should I maybe check eBay worldwide and gumtree?
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

A used acrolite....probably the most versatile snare ever made in the "low" price range.

User Info Menu

If you are going to go used, might I throw in a PDP Hammered Brass snare drum? They are going for about 150USD right now. Phenomenal snare drum. A wee bit of ring with a vintage Ambassador on it. I prefer it to my DW collectors, and my dynasonic. Seriously, I love that drum.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I've been talking up the new Pearl Artisan II limited edition snare drum. It's $200 and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how in the heck Pearl could offer up that gorgeous natural maple snare for such a reasonable price - I mean, it looks as good as it sounds, right?

It's a WRAP! Could have fooled me though! (er...actually, it DID fool me!) I wouldn't have known if someone hadn't pointed it out. Doesn't matter though - the wrap looks so much like a gorgeous quality figured wood finish, unless you actually see the seam, you really can't tell, and aside from that, it really does sound good.

EDIT: On Pearl's website, they refer to it as "digital grain transfer" - essentially, a really nice print job on a wrap!
    Last edited by trickg; 11-28-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Lucius definitely check on Gumtree. I had a quick squizz for you in Adelaide and 20km's out. There is Yamaha Musashi 13" snare, hardly used, $230 in Seaton. There are also a few others, such as a Black Beauty, a jarrah 14x7" stave snare, a brazilian mahogany stave 14x5" snare, etc, but none of these are below $500.

Shall I PM you the Gumtree link for the Musashi? He doesn't have a phone number listed, but you can email him via the site.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

^^^^ that would be great thanks drumbledore. Now I have found a little squeler For $200 from the USA. 13"x7". And what is the difference between the elite sensitive pearl snare and the regular sensitone snare?
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

I found a couple of snares on eBay. Don't know if they are cheap or not but here are the links.

*sorry Lucius, but eBay is a commercial site, so our Forum Rules don't allow the links. You can repost just the pics, though. - PB*

I am on my iPod so they may not work. Tell me if they don't.

The black panther used snare 14"x5" is $240
    The PDP blackout brand new is $140 14"x6"
    And the sensitone snare is $215
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

Larrysperf Guest

Chad Smith all round great snare for rock , metal but all the above are also good snares

User Info Menu

My friend has a pearl sensitone, on the drum it says $240 (He forgot to take the tag off, I still haven't mentioned it to him... hehe) it actually sounds really good. I love it, it kind of sounds like a semi dry "Crack" when you hit it (tuned tightly, thanks to me It matches metal and hard rock playing just fine if you ask me
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

I have a tama metalworks steel snare 6.5x13 and once I put the right head on it, it has been a great snare. I currently have an evan genera dry head on it and this is the best head I have put on it sounds awesome. I only paid $200 for it brand new and I have recently seen them around for $180.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pelicandrum View Post
    I have a tama metalworks steel snare 6.5x13 and once I put the right head on it, it has been a great snare. I currently have an evan genera dry head on it and this is the best head I have put on it sounds awesome. I only paid $200 for it brand new and I have recently seen them around for $180.
    Those are great snares. Really nice cut to them...at least in a heavy metal setting. I played a show with a guy using one once and it sounded great.

User Info Menu

What type of sound do you want out of the drum?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Dont worry guys I have found the perfect snare that I have on hold at my local drum shop. It's a Joey jordison signature snare. Sounds awesome, very versatile and has a strong crack with low resonance. Counting down till I can get it. And I have to wait till Wednesday, because all shops are closed on Christmas and boxing day.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

I know a decent sounding snare under $250 is difficult to find, but ny suggestions would be great
    I dis-agree with this. I believe a decent snare can be found for under $250 easily. I find snare drums way over rated. It's essentially a shallow drum with wires attached to make it "rattle". With head selection and tuning almost any snare drum can be made to sound "decent" if not down right great!
    As price increases, you are paying either for a name or for specialized workmanship.

all the best...