Thread: Studio cymbal sound

User Info Menu

Default Studio cymbal sound

well i figured a cheap way to get a studio cymbal sound that u may or may not already know about.

Putting a moongell on the underside of crashes and rides dampens just subtly enough sound like a studio or recording..its not bad..especially if ur in a poorly acousticized room.

User Info Menu

thats the second time iv heard the wonders of moon gell, that stuff must be pretty great

User Info Menu

There are many ways to get sounds out of cymbols. What i find best is for live... Have good cymbols and dont dampen them. Because your in a small room playing to yourself it sounds bad. Get on a pub corner and it changes.... I like to think if i hear my drums are bad. Thats good. Because im not the audience. There made to push sound out to the audience not for me to hear and high definition.

Spend some time in an auditorium while a band plays. Go backstage the sound really changes. You can mostly only hear drums and there pretty tinny from memory too.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I do put moon gell on my B8 ride in my small practice room, the cymbal is very bright and washey, and the moon-gel helps make it bearable. I do need to invest in a better ride cymbal as soon as I pay of the drums. A guitar Center Credit Card is a dangerous thing!!!

User Info Menu

A better way would be to practice playing hard on your kick, snare and toms, and really ease back on the cymbals. This is a better way to record. Moongels will dampen the ring and change the tone of the cymbals while playing softer will still allow for the better tone and ring without drowning out the rest of the kit on your overhead mics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    A guitar Center Credit Card is a dangerous thing!!!

Oh man, you ain't kidding. Mines been maxed for almost a year now....
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I know someone who got something simular without signing up for it. Spent the 3 grand ontop of the kit he had on lone and never payed a cent over 100$ :P

He figured his contract was void coz he never signed for a credit card and never returned the kit :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters