Thread: Kenny Aronoff

User Info Menu

Default Kenny Aronoff

Kenny Aronoff

Main Style: Rock (many)
    Main Band: John Cougar Mellencamp
    Brief Summary: Kenny Aronoff (born March 7, 1953) is an American rock drummer. He has played drums for many musicians, including John Mellencamp, Bob Seger, Belinda Carlisle, Elton John, John Fogerty, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Meat Loaf, The BoDeans, Gregg Alexander, The Smashing Pumpkins, Chickenfoot, Tony Iommi, Jon Bon Jovi, Vasco Rossi, Cinderella, Stryper, Walter Trout and Styx.

Other Facts: After graduating from Indiana University, in 1976, where he studied under the acclaimed tympanist George Gaber, Aronoff passed on several symphony orchestra offers and decided to head for the East Coast where he studied drum set in Boston and New York. During this time he began to concentrate on jazz and fusion music, and in 1977 he returned to Bloomington, Indiana and spent several years in a popular local band, playing throughout the Midwest.
    In 1980 he opted out of an opportunity to audition for Lou Rawls and instead joined John Mellencamp's band, recording 10 albums and touring with him over a 17-year period.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kenny Aronoff

User Info Menu

I've always like his style. Very versatile IMHO.

User Info Menu

pretty good KA interview here on the Sixx Sense show

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Kenny's one of my favorite drummers! Thanks for the post!

User Info Menu

Anybody read his book? Sex, Drums, and Rock and Roll? Thought about picking it up but hadn't seen any reviews of it.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Didn't know he had a book. I'll have to look into that.

User Info Menu

I went to a clinic that he did years ago. It was entertaining and informative. I really enjoyed the story about how the Smashing Pumpkins fired Matt Walker and hired Kenny to replace him.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Now that's a Resume'. I wonder which one was his favorite gig.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Now that's a Resume'. I wonder which one was his favorite gig.
    I saw an interview with KA once that indicated he really loved playing with Fogerty.
    He also said even though he realizes that playing drums so many years with Mellencamp has been great for his career, it is difficult because JCM can be such a jerk.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That's interesting. I would have guessed that Fogerty would have been the difficult one, based on all the CCR stories. Then again, JCM has always been more of a front man.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I saw an interview with KA once that indicated he really loved playing with Fogerty.
    He also said even though he realizes that playing drums so many years with Mellencamp has been great for his career, it is difficult because JCM can be such a jerk.
    I saw a Fogerty concert on TV when Kenny was still drumming for him and I was stunned when Fogerty introduced him as "the best drummer in the world". From what I've read, Fogerty can be a jerk too.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

there's a david letterman vid of him with fogerty. i remember him doing his arm slinging all during the song
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    there's a david letterman vid of him with fogerty. i remember him doing his arm slinging all during the song
    Now this rocks!