Thread: unusual drums

User Info Menu

Default unusual drums

If any of you have questions about frame drums, udus, etc., I know some stuff!

User Info Menu

Default Re: unusual drums

Just one:

What kind of udu do you do?

User Info Menu

Cool! I love all sorts of unusual drums. I own a Turkish doumbek, a talking drum, a few bodhrans (which I play more like Middle Eastern frame drums than anything else)....slowwwwly getting my head around tablas, tambourines, a wooden slit drum, congas...oh hang it...lemme give ya a pic of some of it, lol.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Yeah Tabla, man you could spend a whole life learning that instrument (and many do). I studied the south indian counterpart to tabla - mridangham. A similar situation. Now I just use that technique on other drums and it works well, but it took me 20 years to get that together.

User Info Menu

Hey Tom,
    Funny you should mention it like that - I actually started a group om tribe.net called Udu Voodoo. I play Hadgini, which is the two chambered udu that my buddy Jamey Haddad invented. I also have a lap drum which is another twist on udu, but with 3 heads. It's by Ken Lovelett in the Woodstock, NY area. if I could figure out how to send a pic, I would. I checked the "insert image" icon but it asked for a url?...