Thread: using USED batter heads as resonant heads..

User Info Menu

Default using USED batter heads as resonant heads..

So i'm on a killer budget... i had evans g2s on top with no resonant heads. i just got a new pack of g2s and i flipped the 12"tom and floor toms' old g2s onto the bottom and put the new ones on top. It doesnt sound half bad, but i was just looking for some input as to whether or not any of you have ever done that. the reason i dont have the old g2 on the 13 is because i ordered a new hoop and realized i dont have any effin lugs >:(

User Info Menu

Default Re: using USED batter heads as resonant heads..

I've never done it and won't ever do it. Reso heads are just as important as batters. If the batters are worn out then they are done.

User Info Menu

Never tried it. Probably won't ever either...simply because they would look terrible on the bottom of the drum with all the stick marks and what not. And a G2 would be pretty heavy to use as a reso head IMO.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

To me this is right up there with turning your underwear inside out to get another day out of them. If the head is worn out it's still going to be worn out when you flip it to the resonant side.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
    To me this is right up there with turning your underwear inside out to get another day out of them. If the head is worn out it's still going to be worn out when you flip it to the resonant side.
    well said, dave. Eh I tuned them in unison and its going alright... will definitely buy new resos and batters at the same time for my next purchase, however. thanks for the quick replies guys

User Info Menu

to me this is right up there with turning your underwear inside out to get another day out of them. If the head is worn out it's still going to be worn out when you flip it to the resonant side.

ditto!!!!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

if i was Mad Max in apocalyptic mode and its all i had, of course i would use old batter heads.

User Info Menu

Not something I would do personally. It wouldn't look good and I doubt it would sound good, although I've never tried it. I would recommend not waiting until your new batter heads wear out...just buy a new set of reso's as soon as you can.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    not something i would do personally. It wouldn't look good and i doubt it would sound good, although i've never tried it. I would recommend not waiting until your new batter heads wear out...just buy a new set of reso's as soon as you can.
    +1
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

i agree with all the above , an old head is an old head no matter where you put it. plus i dont think a 2 ply reso head would sound very good .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

You'd get a better sound running no reso's.

User Info Menu

I took them off, and actually like it with them on. I'm actually gonna start using g2s as resos and maybe something like onyx for batter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Austinkessler View Post
    I took them off, and actually like it with them on. I'm actually gonna start using g2s as resos and maybe something like onyx for batter
    Most important thing is to use what sounds good to you, I have G2 clear reso's and EC2 frosted batters, although my reso's are brand new and have not been hit. Sounds great to me on a Birch/mahogany/Falkatta toms.. No annoying over tones.

I like it so much that I am going to try it on my Saturn as well, having a 1ply reso is not written in stone.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Most important thing is to use what sounds good to you, I have G2 clear reso's and EC2 frosted batters, although my reso's are brand new and have not been hit. Sounds great to me on a Birch/mahogany/Falkatta toms.. No annoying over tones.

I like it so much that I am going to try it on my Saturn as well, having a 1ply reso is not written in stone.
    amen.

User Info Menu

In my drumming infancy, I tried this with Remo Pinstripes.

It didn't sound bad, but the set sounded constricted soundwise with Pinstripes for the Reso heads.

I've since always gone with Remo Ambassador's or Emperor's on the Reso side.

I feel like it opens the sound of the kit up more. But thats my opinion.

In the end, it's what you like.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I usaually wouldn't recommend it, BUT I did this with a floor tom, I was trying to get a thuddier sound out of. I put the old Coated G1 on the bottom, put a new coated G2 on the top, and it sounded really good since I was looking for less resonance than normal.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

just play without reso's

User Info Menu

i will link to a video of my brother playing them once its uploaded to youtube.

User Info Menu

If you're on a killer budget, and cannot afford new resos, there is nothing wrong with using a former batter as a reso. I mena what ya gonna do? The main problem is an old head is not just worn from sticking, but stretched. But surely it is better than NO RESO. I bet they sound fine and ya, save your change and get some new ones ASAP.

Larrysperf Guest

This made me laugh so hard but very true Thanks Dave I needed that

User Info Menu

No big deal. I have had drums that I would simply turn over and play on the other side, depending on which side of the kit I was mounting it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    But surely it is better than NO RESO.
    yes Im repeating myself, but....

As for the worn out resos being better, that depends on the sound you want. A drum with worn out resos will due to physics be quieter, have less projection, and have a muffled sound. When you strike a drum, the soundwave travels down the tube, if there is a reso head the sound wave hits the reso, and bounces back up. If there is a good reso, the reso will activate, vibrate and give you a second note giving that full sound. If there is no reso the sound wave shoots straight out uninhibitaded giving you that big loud bark of a concert tom, thats why quints and quads have no reso's so the sound will carry. Now you have an old dead reso that can no longer vibrate properly on that drum and the sound will travel down and be blocked by that head, kinda like closing a window.