Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Cobra

User Info Menu

Default Speed Cobra

I picked up a Speed Cobra a couple of weeks ago. After going through a Axis, a DW 9000, and a Iron Cobra, the Speed Cobra has them beat all to hell.

I was concerned about the long board because I play heel down, but no problem.

It's fast, easy to adjust, and just works great.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Speed Cobra

I tried one of these at the local drum shop last week and was very very impressed. I agree it blows away everything I have tried including the DW-9000 and demon drive that was right next to it.

Wish it was a llittle cheaper but ehh, just have to save up.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Iwantone
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've had mine for about 3 weeks or so now, I'm happy with the feel now. When I first got it, it was almost too smooth and I struggled with control a little. I made some adjustments to the footboard angle/beater and tension and I'm liking it a lot more now. I will say that right out of the box I thought it made my kick drum sound better, more focused and punchy; or maybe it's in my head, like thinking your car runs better after washing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    like thinking your car runs better after washing it.
    This is an undisputed benchracing fact.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

RTD, I have been told that these are the best if you have bigger feet if you want to practice the " heel toe " method for quicker beats! let me know.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    I tried one of these at the local drum shop last week and was very very impressed. I agree it blows away everything I have tried including the DW-9000 and demon drive that was right next to it.

Wish it was a llittle cheaper but ehh, just have to save up.

I paid $179 at MF, with free shipping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    RTD, I have been told that these are the best if you have bigger feet if you want to practice the " heel toe " method for quicker beats! let me know.

Marty,

I've ben playing heel down for over 5 decades. I have tried some of the other methods, but, for me they are uncomfortable.

I have tried the heel up method with the double bass pedal, and I can get a pretty fast roll with it, but, again, it's not comfortable.

I guess if I were younger I would experiment around more, but, at 65 (in 2 weeks) I'm pretty much set in my ways.

The Speed Cobra is a great pedal, I just had to make the slightest tension adjustment to make it all but perfect for me. Now I want a Mustang Cobra.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I picked up a Speed Cobra a couple of weeks ago. After going through a Axis, a DW 9000, and a Iron Cobra, the Speed Cobra has them beat all to hell.

I was concerned about the long board because I play heel down, but no problem.

It's fast, easy to adjust, and just works great.
    that it does! i got an opportunity to play one when they came out last year and i spent an hour on that kit because of the pedal.
    fluid, sturdy and as fast as you want to go.
    glad to hear you finally found a pedal, and at 179 shipped you got a good deal.
    i think when they first came out they were more expensive.
    definitely on my wishlist

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    that it does! i got an opportunity to play one when they came out last year and i spent an hour on that kit because of the pedal.
    fluid, sturdy and as fast as you want to go.
    glad to hear you finally found a pedal, and at 179 shipped you got a good deal.
    i think when they first came out they were more expensive.
    definitely on my wishlist

They are smooth. I swear that it could handle 1000 BPM if you could go that fast.

I had a Iron Cobra really close and was still messing with my Speed King. I was debating about the Speed Cobra, but, being that I had spent a lot on the Axis, DW 9000 and the Iron Cobra (single and double), I wasn't sure if I wanted to try another pedal and be disappointed again.

Ordered it on a whim a couple of weeks ago. Glad I did.

User Info Menu

RTD,I hear ya..I just turned 57 and realize the feet do not move as fast as before..I still am hoping to get the DBL speed cobras sometime in the not so distant future

Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

They are smooth. I swear that it could handle 1000 BPM if you could go that fast.

I had a Iron Cobra really close and was still messing with my Speed King. I was debating about the Speed Cobra, but, being that I had spent a lot on the Axis, DW 9000 and the Iron Cobra (single and double), I wasn't sure if I wanted to try another pedal and be disappointed again.

Ordered it on a whim a couple of weeks ago. Glad I did.
    you still have the 9000? if i recall correctly didnt you donate it or something? i shoulda bought it. i upgraded from a Pearl P120 to a Pearl 900 and its just a wee bit better. its sturdy.

User Info Menu

you still have the 9000? if i recall correctly didnt you donate it or something? i shoulda bought it. i upgraded from a Pearl P120 to a Pearl 900 and its just a wee bit better. its sturdy.
    I picked up a new pearl 900 the other day for $20! Couldn't resist the price! I use it on my pearl kick drum practice stand. It's a pretty awesome pedal!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

The Axis I gave away to a friend and told them to see if they could work a deal for another pedal, which they did.

The DW 9000 i sold a few weeks ago.

User Info Menu

Glad you liked it Rick.
    I played for years and years on two single(double bass) very early Mapex pedals and after getting the speed cobra I feel like I have new feet!
    It took minimal adjustments to get it comfortable.
    If I remember right I moved the beater a little closer to the head and gave it more spring tension.
    I'm not at all impressed with Axis stuff especially after i tried out a black Axis hi-hat stand at GC last week. Talk about a wobbly turd. Something else I really didn't like was when opening the hats fast the top cymbal would shake around like a bobble head. As if the hole the rod went through in the top of the stand was too big.
    Also the cymbal tilt adjustments had thumbscrews inwhich the screw rode directly on the cymbal=WEAR on the cymbal.
    I forget what model number it was but no thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    Glad you liked it Rick.
    I played for years and years on two single(double bass) very early Mapex pedals and after getting the speed cobra I feel like I have new feet!
    It took minimal adjustments to get it comfortable.
    If I remember right I moved the beater a little closer to the head and gave it more spring tension.
    I'm not at all impressed with Axis stuff especially after i tried out a black Axis hi-hat stand at GC last week. Talk about a wobbly turd. Something else I really didn't like was when opening the hats fast the top cymbal would shake around like a bobble head. As if the hole the rod went through in the top of the stand was too big.
    Also the cymbal tilt adjustments had thumbscrews inwhich the screw rode directly on the cymbal=WEAR on the cymbal.
    I forget what model number it was but no thanks.

Right now, I think it's the best pedal on the market.

User Info Menu

Right now, I think it's the best pedal on the market.
    I will be ordering one as soon as my snare sells which won't happen until my new one gets here which won't happen until DW gets their crap together and ships it
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Marty,

I've ben playing heel down for over 5 decades. I have tried some of the other methods, but, for me they are uncomfortable.

I have tried the heel up method with the double bass pedal, and I can get a pretty fast roll with it, but, again, it's not comfortable.

I guess if I were younger I would experiment around more, but, at 65 (in 2 weeks) I'm pretty much set in my ways.

The Speed Cobra is a great pedal, I just had to make the slightest tension adjustment to make it all but perfect for me. Now I want a Mustang Cobra.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.
    Come on man! It's never too late - Three days grace!

Haha, just kidding, I wouldn't know what change is like to older generations, so I can only speak for my self, I can adjust to change good enough.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    Come on man! It's never too late - Three days grace!

Haha, just kidding, I wouldn't know what change is like to older generations, so I can only speak for my self, I can adjust to change good enough.

When I was younger, change came rather easily to me. When you are older, you look at it this way: Is it worth it for me to put the time into something that, in all likelihood, I'm never going to use in a musical setting.

It's like double bass pedals. I have a Iron Cobra DB pedal. I throw it on once in a while, play around with it and take it off. If this were 10-15 years ago, I would have put it on my drums and played with the thing until I was up in the 220 range because I was stubborn enough back then to do it. Now I look at it as to how I would use it today. For me, now, it serves no purpose outside of something to screw around with once in a while.

Priority changes when you get older. Things that I thought were very important 20 years ago, mean little to me today. On the other hand, things that I had no interest in 20 years ago, I regret today. That's why I posted a while back to take pictures or video of things, family, cars, places you play, people you meet, everything. I didn't, couldn't be bothered, and now, as I look back, I'm in thousands of pictures, from Nam to our bands, to a lot of different things. Trouble is, I don't have the pictures, other people do, and they are scattered all over the country and I don't even remember their names.

C'est la vie

User Info Menu

My wonderful wife bought me one last Christmas and I am still loving it. Still very smooth and holds its settings perfectly
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    My wonderful wife bought me one last Christmas and I am still loving it. Still very smooth and holds its settings perfectly

I've had mine a little over a year and it's still smooth as glass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks or so now, I'm happy with the feel now. When I first got it, it was almost too smooth and I struggled with control a little. I made some adjustments to the footboard angle/beater and tension and I'm liking it a lot more now. I will say that right out of the box I thought it made my kick drum sound better, more focused and punchy; or maybe it's in my head, like thinking your car runs better after washing it.

You mean my car "doesnt" run better after I wash it - its only in my head?? Bummer~!!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

After reading this......Very tempting!! My oldest boy gave me a $150 gift card for Christmas but my need for a new pedal is like a need for another hole in my head (sighs)....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    After reading this......Very tempting!! My oldest boy gave me a $150 gift card for Christmas but my need for a new pedal is like a need for another hole in my head (sighs)....

Holes in the head come 2 ways. If you can see Victoria's Secrets girls through it, that's a keeper. If you can see Everest through it, that can be a problem.

Wanting toys for our drums usually causes holes of the Everest size, but, life is short, and, from what I've been told, death is fairly long.

Go buy the pedal.