Thread: Bat Out Of Hell

User Info Menu

Default Bat Out Of Hell

Considering that 1 man wrote all the songs, and, if I remember right, all the music, it's one of the best albums of all time.

We used to do Bat Out Of Hell, but could never figure out the best way to do Paradise by a dashboard light.

Every song on the album is a great song to listen to.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bat Out Of Hell

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Considering that 1 man wrote all the songs, and, if I remember right, all the music, it's one of the best albums of all time.

We used to do Bat Out Of Hell, but could never figure out the best way to do Paradise by a dashboard light.

Every song on the album is a great song to listen to.
    Definitely agree...Meatloaf is a musical genius...doesn't get enough credit, IMO.

User Info Menu

I thought that it was a collaborative effort between Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman (Written mostly by Steinman) - either way it's a fantastic record. An interesting tidbit is that legendary producer Clive Davis rejected them and cited that Steinman didn't know how to write a song. LOL! He must have done something right considering that it's one of the best selling albums of all time.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Wink Re: Bat Out Of Hell

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Considering that 1 man wrote all the songs, and, if I remember right, all the music...
    So, a bit like Schubert then, huh..?

(No, just kidding; I'll listen to the album, which I've never heard. Thanks for recommending. It'll have to be damned good to beat Schubert, though..!)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

When it first came out, my (then) girlfriend and I listened to it all the time. When we broke up, we actually fought over who was going to get the album. (I lost)

You can see them live on youtube, but you want the ones with Carla DeVito, I'm pretty sure that was her name. They were great.

User Info Menu

I met my wife under the dashboard lights LOL. Seriously I agree with you it is one of Meatloafs best album.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Bat Out Of Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    (It'll have to be damned good to beat Schubert, though..!)
    Good evening, Rick...

Sorry for quoting myself (not generally considered as polite...), but I've just given this track a listen, and I'll freely admit that it's not just good, it's pretty damned good..! Many thanks for posting this, I'll have to give the rest of this album, and the two others I've now got. A great surprise; I've not heard good solid stuff like this for yonks (translate: quite a long time..!).
    Slightly wary of the long(ish...) intro, which has many Zapparian colours (City of Tiny Lights, and more...), we start the 'real' show, very cleverly arranged, à la Bonny Tyler (Total Eclipse etc...), with moult false endings, another crescendo, break the beat up and make some space in order to better wind up the pressure, several times. We're almost in the Rock Opera vein here. Superb backing vocals, giving a splendid 'thickness' over which to float the lead voice. Very smart recording (nice 'thwacky' drums near the end, very 'plump'...).
    You may have guessed by now, I found that to be thoroughly enjoyable. I'll see if I can find some 'live' footage, although one would need one hell of a solid crew to get that out in concert with all the bells and whistles.
    On to the other tracks, but I'll take it slowly; I'm rather prone to saturation when it comes to listening to new stuff (or at least, if the quality merits concentration...).
    Thanks again for the introduction; this one's a keeper...
    (I'll be keeping Schubert too, though. Nice try, close race; not the same circuit...)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Good evening, Rick...

Sorry for quoting myself (not generally considered as polite...), but I've just given this track a listen, and I'll freely admit that it's not just good, it's pretty damned good..! Many thanks for posting this, I'll have to give the rest of this album, and the two others I've now got. A great surprise; I've not heard good solid stuff like this for yonks (translate: quite a long time..!).
    Slightly wary of the long(ish...) intro, which has many Zapparian colours (City of Tiny Lights, and more...), we start the 'real' show, very cleverly arranged, à la Bonny Tyler (Total Eclipse etc...), with moult false endings, another crescendo, break the beat up and make some space in order to better wind up the pressure, several times. We're almost in the Rock Opera vein here. Superb backing vocals, giving a splendid 'thickness' over which to float the lead voice. Very smart recording (nice 'thwacky' drums near the end, very 'plump'...).
    You may have guessed by now, I found that to be thoroughly enjoyable. I'll see if I can find some 'live' footage, although one would need one hell of a solid crew to get that out in concert with all the bells and whistles.
    On to the other tracks, but I'll take it slowly; I'm rather prone to saturation when it comes to listening to new stuff (or at least, if the quality merits concentration...).
    Thanks again for the introduction; this one's a keeper...
    (I'll be keeping Schubert too, though. Nice try, close race; not the same circuit...)

Glad you liked it. Considering it is 1 of the best selling albums of all time, it gets overlooked by a lot of people.

Meatloaf put so much into each performance that he actually collapsed on stage a couple of times.

Go to youtube and find the live versions of Bat out of hell and Paradise by the dashboard light. Not only are they great songs, but they are fun to watch.

User Info Menu

http://youtu.be/C4MFxcFofkY Bat out of hell

http://youtu.be/9NTDHjVKQyo Paradise by the dashboard light

For people who might not be familiar with the songs.

We kicked Bat out of hell around for a while, wondering how it would go over. One night at a great club in California, we just decided to do it.

The response from the crowd was amazing, and it became a staple for us for a long time.

Paradise by a dashboard light was never done even though we had it worked out to a point. Personel differences came into play with that song.

User Info Menu

You are right Rick about Meatloaf collapsing on stage because of the trenious energy he puts into his songs. I also heard that he kept oxigen tanks on stage for emergencies, mind you he was a big and overweight man so I guess he would get winded often as you can see by his performances. Great man and great singer IMO.

User Info Menu

Never really been a huge fan of him. I do however like a couple of his songs...and I think they are all from THIS album.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Someone who has not been mentioned and was a VERY BIG part of this record is Todd Rundgren, who put all the arrangements together, played guitar, percussion, and did a lot of the background vocals and was the Producer of the record. He also mixed the majority of the tracks. Really cool record!
    Here's a pic of Todd and I in Stuart FL. before a performance a few years ago.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

sad that Meatloaf sold the rights to Bat Out of Hell for 1500 bucks and never made a dime off record sales from it. he was flat broke and went so far as to borrow money from Ted Nugent who made him sing Free For All as repayment.
    true story

User Info Menu

the number of school disco's I 'eadbanged to that tune ... pounded out beat on the steering wheel to so old nackered cars I had ... thank you for revitalising this excellent song once more ... its scary I still remember all of the words!
    ...cheers
    Cheers

Lionheart

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I thought that it was a collaborative effort between Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman (Written mostly by Steinman) - either way it's a fantastic record. An interesting tidbit is that legendary producer Clive Davis rejected them and cited that Steinman didn't know how to write a song. LOL! He must have done something right considering that it's one of the best selling albums of all time.
    I had always heard the same, that it was a collaboration but mostly Steinman. It's wild when you read about all the big names (at least eventually) who played on the album.

IMHO Bat Out of Hell is definitely one of the top albums of all time. It was a huge part of my musical childhood.

Interesting tidbit, I know the guy who played piano on the Bat Out of Hell II (I know it isn't nearly the same quality album). He's a super nice guy, who's played and toured with all sorts of big names. I taught his kid last year, and his kid sings with us when we do charity stuff with kids.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle