Thread: Pete Thomas (Elvis Costello & the Attractions)

User Info Menu

Default Pete Thomas (Elvis Costello & the Attractions)

My type of drummer!!!

Pete Thomas (born 9 August 1954, Hillsborough, Sheffield, England) is best known as the longtime drummer for Elvis Costello. Tom Waits has referred to him as "one of the best rock drummers alive".

• Played with Costello for 10 Years
    • Inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of fame 2003
    • In demand session drummer with the likes of Suzanne Vega and Neil Finn

Last edited by Dustin; 12-05-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pete Thomas (Elvis Costello & the Attractions)

One of my favorites. Like Ringo, he plays what is needed. strong, fast, and musical. He's @ 6'4" so he can reach all over without straining, and can lay down a groove in many styles.

Good chops, uses cymbals effectively, and his brush work isn't bad either.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pete Thomas (Elvis Costello & the Attractions)

Absolutely love Pete Thomas! I'll have a hunt around my drum mags, I think I still have the issue of Modern Drummer with a Pete Thomas interview, talking about doing session work after he finished with Elvis Costello.

By the way, for all you fact fiends or those just interested, that's not Pete Thomas on "Watching The Detectives." It's a guy called Steve Goulding, from the group Graham Parker & The Rumour. It was released as a single, not included on Elvis' debut album "My Aim Is True" nor on the second album "This Year's Model", which then saw Pete Thomas join The Attractions. However, I've the Rykodisc release of "My Aim Is True", which includes "Watching The Detectives" and a bunch of other extra tracks. A band I used to play in years back used to do "Pump It Up", "Chelsea" and "Watching The Detectives", it's a good challenge to play some of those tunes sometimes.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8