Thread: Drum head choice theory

User Info Menu

Default Drum head choice theory

I was messing around with my drums tonight and more specifically with the drum heads and tunings.

I have come up with what I think might be a good way to decide on how you purchase new heads for your kit.

I think the easiest, though not an economical way to go would be to do this:

Figure out which of your drums you like the sound of the least. (i.e. sounds the worst or is maybe the hardest drum to tune to your liking.) In most cases it seems to be a 12" or 13" mounted tom.

Next, you will have to do some research or emotional soul searching on, say, 3 different heads you may be contemplating buying for what ever reason.

I suggest buying all 3 style of heads for the same drum, the drum you dislike. If you can install one of those purchased drum heads and have it sound like you are expecting, that should clue you in on which heads to buy for the rest your kit.

Ingenius, huh?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum head choice theory

Interesting thought. I've actually been thinking about checking out different heads on one of my toms. I didn't think about using the one that is the hardest one to like. I may just try it your way - after I've paid of Christmas.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I just put a set of Evans Onyx heads on my drums. They are coming off tomorrow.

They are dead sounding heads.

I had Remo Ebony Suede heads on before and I thought they were too hollow sounding.

Have to find something in between.

User Info Menu

Not a bad theory. Certainly cheaper than buying a whole kits worth of heads and finding out you don't like them.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Drum head choice theory

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    ...Ingenius, huh?

Yes, indeed, Bish. Applies elsewhere, too. I do this when developing software, using the worst/least powerful computer in the park. Then, when the product is ready, I'm sure that my colleagues (with better/more recent PC's...) will be happy with the performance.
    Get the worst to it's best, the best can only be better.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post

Yes, indeed, Bish. Applies elsewhere, too. I do this when developing software, using the worst/least powerful computer in the park. Then, when the product is ready, I'm sure that my colleagues (with better/more recent PC's...) will be happy with the performance.
    Get the worst to it's best, the best can only be better.
    I know the tactic.

When I used to code HTML we would use both Netscape and IE to be sure the code would work correctly. . . Oh is Netscape showing my age?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've often thought a website similar to My Cymbal would be useful for heads. The same drum, (size, wood, stick etc) could be covered with different head combinations, all at same tension or tuned to same note, and recorded for comparison. It doesn't mean your own drum would sound exactly that way but it would help narrow down what head type suits our ears best. Remo or Evans should do this....but I'm guessing it will reduce sales from all those folks testing heads on their own dime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    I've often thought a website similar to My Cymbal would be useful for heads. The same drum, (size, wood, stick etc) could be covered with different head combinations, all at same tension or tuned to same note, and recorded for comparison. It doesn't mean your own drum would sound exactly that way but it would help narrow down what head type suits our ears best. Remo or Evans should do this....but I'm guessing it will reduce sales from all those folks testing heads on their own dime.
    That's a good idea.