Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting others down

User Info Menu

Default Shooting others down

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining or anything. I just thought this would be an interesting topic.

I don't know if all drummers go through this in their drumming career, but I'd just like to bring up the topic of "Shooting someone down".
    I have had people put me down a lot of times for the way I play the drums, and i've seen it happen to others too. It all seems like a competition in my school, and on Youtube, ect. But really, why does it have to be this way? I wish that everyone would just relax and not turn the amazing art of music into a "I'm better than you" game. And when someone does put me down, I think about how good I am, what I'm bad at, and how good the other person is compared to me. And then it just feels like I keep hitting a brick wall and won't be able to get any better as a player.

So I guess my question is: Should I not waste my time with stupid comments people throw at me? Should I just ignore them and do my own thing? It just feels like im running a marathon.. but im not going anywhere!!

I hope you guys understand!!
    I have an insane admiration and respect for the craft that is drumming and I have a never-ending desire to be the best i can possibly be. I dont play drums or practice because I have to, I play because I can't help it. ~ Cobus Potgieter ~

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shooting others down

There's so much immaturity in society! I know where you're coming from because I've been studying drums at a college/university for four years and some people do like to turn it into a contest.

People typically think it's the metal people that sit there and practice stupid singles at ridiculous speeds for no reason that shoot you down but 80% of the time I think it's those drummers who only care about "groove" who always put me down. Any slight mistake triggers a hatred towards you, I'm sick of it.

I would of said ignore these comments it's not a contest, just plod along and continue... However, whenever people take the piss out of you for something that you're bad at or not as good as them at it's normally a warning that you need to improve that area. Of course they could phrase it nicer and not be such a-holes about it! But take away the sly comments and vulgar language and you can actually treat it as constructive criticism! Unless they just say something like "blah blah you suck", then they're just trolling you!

I hope my different outlook on it makes sense!

User Info Menu

Don't worry about it. There is always going to be someone out there with better chops....it doesn't matter.

Enjoy the music, play what you love and have fun. Life is full of all kinds of things to bring you down. Music should be uplifting, even if it's the blues.

There will always be insecure people out there who have to cut everyone else down. Ignore them.

If you let it get to you, then they have succeeded. Don't

User Info Menu

paradiseburned, don't let the rude people in life get you down. We all know where we have strengths and weaknesses, so all comments can be judged by that. As Skillful Kai said, it can be seen as constructive criticism, even though it's on the rude side. If it's rudeness aimed at something you do well, then take it as no more than a mean spirited attempt to hurt you. In that situation, the best thing is to act as if their comments haven't bothered you a bit, because mean spirited people want to see you react. The reaction says they got to you.

Then come here and vent. Drum Chat's vision is one where drummers can gather in an environment of mutual respect, and encouragement. I'm not a seasoned drummer, and I'm sure that someone mean spirited enough could seriously break my sense of accomplishment. On the other hand, there are seasoned drummers here - people that I respect for their accomplishments - and I appreciate their encouragement, as well as their honest assessments. Hey, if I need a little kick in the pants to get me going in the right direction, the people here know me well enough to provide it. They also know when I need some encouragement.

paradiseburned, surround yourself with people that care about you, and can be honest with you. Then ignore the rude/mean spirited people that come into your life.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

You tube is a cyber bully's paradise!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Having played the drums for a long time, I've seen this a lot.

Competition is common among musicians, especially drummers. It seems to be a inherent part of playing drums. The speed and visual aspects of the instrument just seem to bring it out.

I don't agree with it, but I know it exists.

The best thing to do is ignore it, and become better at what you do.

User Info Menu

My favourite is when I step off stage at a club and I get some bozo tell me I suck and that he could play me under the table. I always respond "Thats awesome! Any suggestions on what I can do to be better? Oh by the way, how much are you being paid to be here tonight?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paradiseburned View Post
    I don't want to sound like I'm complaining or anything. I just thought this would be an interesting topic.

I don't know if all drummers go through this in their drumming career, but I'd just like to bring up the topic of "Shooting someone down".
    I have had people put me down a lot of times for the way I play the drums, and i've seen it happen to others too. It all seems like a competition in my school, and on Youtube, ect. But really, why does it have to be this way? I wish that everyone would just relax and not turn the amazing art of music into a "I'm better than you" game. And when someone does put me down, I think about how good I am, what I'm bad at, and how good the other person is compared to me. And then it just feels like I keep hitting a brick wall and won't be able to get any better as a player.

So I guess my question is: Should I not waste my time with stupid comments people throw at me? Should I just ignore them and do my own thing? It just feels like im running a marathon.. but im not going anywhere!!

I hope you guys understand!!
    I know exactly where you're coming from. I started playing (properly) about 5 years ago. I have hit a wall and feel like I'm not improving much these days, and TBH I'm not really that good.

However, I play in a band and I enjoy the music, and my bandmates company. And they never put me down (only in jest).

I find that immaturity plays a big part. As you get older and mix with more mature people, the snide comments and put downs subside and are replaced by words of encouragement, support and advice.

Don't get me wrong, not all young people will put you down and not all mature folk will offer support. Take criticism with a pinch of salt and try to decide for yourself wether the critic is offering something constructive or just having a pop.
    Last edited by GunnerUK; 12-08-2011 at 04:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    My favourite is when I step off stage at a club and I get some bozo tell me I suck and that he could play me under the table. I always respond "Thats awesome! Any suggestions on what I can do to be better? Oh by the way, how much are you being paid to be here tonight?"
    There is a guy who comes to some of my bands shows like that. Tells me that I should do this, use this.... he is like a walking advert for drum companies with his branded clothes. I just think he is funny...
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paradiseburned View Post
    in my school, and on Youtube,

That part of the post is all that is needed to understand and address this.

"in my school" = immaturity

"on Youtube" = anonymity

Two necessary and key ingredients for what you describe. Don't waste your time worrying about it.

User Info Menu

Don't worry about what other people say, negativity has a way of making people look ignorant. You just stick to your guns! Keep playing like there's no tomorrow and enjoy yourself- just gotta go against the flow sometimes you know? Know when and when not to listen, and use their criticism to grow and increase your skills. Haters are motivators.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ignore rude people...and take constructive criticism professionally and curteously, but do not engage in long converstaions about said advice while you are playing. ( please forgive my spelling errors..can't seem to get spell check working on this site haha)
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

A real pro at doing anything always acts as a pro. The definition of a pro, in this case, is defined by how you conduct yourself while doing a particular job, which happens to being playing drums,even though you may not be getting paid in money. It always feels good to conduct ones self as a professional even when others don't.

User Info Menu

Have you ever thought that they may just be jealous of your ability? I've also seen this in the form of rude comments towards people.

As a kid, I know even if you ignore it, you still hear it and it still bothers you. Until the day you can understand how to deal with it and not worry about pleasing them but only in pleasing yourself, these kind of things will bother you.

It's all about ego's. It clouds there better judgment and eventually burns them out. Just keep it steady on the drums and don't worry about the small stuff like them.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Youtube is almost as bad as 4chan these days. It's basically a given that you will encounter some of the internet's most foul mouthed lowlifes on there, that have absolutely nothing better to do than troll people under anonymous names. They are mean, raw, and are generally working out issues of their own taking it out on uploaders. It's funny that the commenters/viewers don't actually have the guts to make their own videos, but they've convinced themselves they are the absolute voice of reason. Keep your focus and stay the course, concentrating on yourself and not so much on them. At the end of the day, it's your life to live and worry about- and they got their own. You do you and they'll do them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Heh I've noticed this too. I just got back from playing snare at junior band for arts fest, in senior band there are two drummers, and a piano player that plays snare. One has been playing for seven years, the other a girl, (who is on the kit) has only been playing for one.

We were tuning all the drums on the stage before the show (mine in particular just wouldn't tune :(] and the girl left, the guy was saying she did was not good, she couldn't keep time, always off beat... etc. While for the most part he was right, she was only playing for a year, I guess he was just offended that he, despite playing for seven years, didn't get picked to play the kit. (he was on suspended cymbals, yeah, what a joke for a percussionist with seven years of experience.)

Anyways, in a nice way I basically said, dude just give it a rest, who cares, not much you can do now anyway, the concert is in half an hour.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    That is a great response.

User Info Menu

it tells you more about them than you. ignore it.

User Info Menu

When I was in my serious Italian language study phrase, the best phrase I ever learned still stays with me today:

"Non mi frega niente" or "Non mi frega" meaning "I don't give a damn" (lit: "I don't give a toss")

And that's exactly my mantra when it comes to such cretini.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

There will always be someone out there who thinks he is better than you but aye that's life. I have never been critiised that way at all. I always get comments from people who hear me play and say that I am amazing ( not bragging here) and that makes me feel good cause half of those people that praise me never touched a drum in their lives or have the feet and hand coordination to even hold a beat. So to them I am great LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post

"on Youtube" = anonymity

Two necessary and key ingredients for what you describe. Don't waste your time worrying about it.

+1 Yep, you nailed it.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

both
    Should I not waste my time with stupid comments people throw at me? Should I just ignore them and do my own thing?

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

i've not experienced this but if someone told me i was rubbish i think i'd just laugh at them and walk off.

Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

what is the real underlying issue here ? Everyone knows there is one. Just gotta figure out what it is. That is if it bothers you THAT much to even try ! I use the word bother, because tomorrow, if it comes at all, will be another day. Nothing is forever very long....except LOVE.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post

"on Youtube" = anonymity

Yep - Absolutely. As soon as you said "in my school" I knew that was part of the problem. There is a great deal of immaturity and insecurity in many young musicians, and that tends to manifest itself in snarky comments toward or about others.

I've never really been one to do that, even when I was young, even though I have always had insecurities about my ability as a musician. For the most part I just played, worked hard at it and did my best, and let my playing do the talking rather than my mouth. It does no good to put down others or to talk yourself up if you can't make it happen on your own.

Eventually you'll get to a point where it's no longer really about who is "better" - there comes a point where it's more a matter of being different, or simply being good at what it is you do, and if that's serving the music, then that's more than enough.

Case in point - look at Phil Rudd. Phil has made quite long and impressive career being great at what he does, which is basic backbeat rock drumming. He doesn't play flashy solos, he's not a polyrhthmic monster, and he's not overly laden with monstrous chops, but for AC/DC, he's the perfect drummer, and that's all he needs to be. It doesn't matter if he doesn't play double bass or doesn't blaze 32nds all over the kit - the music is perfectly served by what he does do.

So I guess to summarize, the only person you need to please is you and your band mates. Work hard at being the best "you" that you can be.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.