Thread: PC Recording Software

User Info Menu

Default PC Recording Software

Hi:

I am new at recording drums, in fact I never have. I was wondering what kind of software I should purchase, or is there any free downloads out there? I want to do some simple drum recording in my garage. I hear Apple has a simple program on the Macs, but I have a PC not a Mac.

Thanks!

MAUIWH
    "The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have"

User Info Menu

Default Re: PC Recording Software

Just do a google search on Free recording software and you'll get a number of options - everything from Audacity to Kristal. As for purchased packages, the sky is the limit - ProTools, Cubase, etc.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I have Audacity....I have had it for a couple years. I keep installing the updates because they are free on the internet. I have never used it since I, too am new at the recording thing. At first I was going to use the audio interface method but by the time I got done pricing out all the electronic gizmos needed for satisfactory recording, it was more than I could afford. Audacity seemed to fit my budjet and recording needs just fine. From what I am understanding about Audacity is that all I need are the microphones and some way to get the cables into the computer.
    The whole recording thing is quite complicated if you are a perfectionist and is better done with better equipment which always equates to more money. If you just want to hear yourself play and exceptional quality is not an issue I would just dabble with the mics for now since you will need good ones eventually....and in the meantime learn all you can in advance by reading sites like this and the other thousdands of references available.
    You can drive yourself nuts and go broke at the same time.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    I have Audacity....I have had it for a couple years. I keep installing the updates because they are free on the internet. I have never used it since I, too am new at the recording thing. At first I was going to use the audio interface method but by the time I got done pricing out all the electronic gizmos needed for satisfactory recording, it was more than I could afford. Audacity seemed to fit my budjet and recording needs just fine. From what I am understanding about Audacity is that all I need are the microphones and some way to get the cables into the computer.
    The whole recording thing is quite complicated if you are a perfectionist and is better done with better equipment which always equates to more money. If you just want to hear yourself play and exceptional quality is not an issue I would just dabble with the mics for now since you will need good ones eventually....and in the meantime learn all you can in advance by reading sites like this and the other thousdands of references available.
    You can drive yourself nuts and go broke at the same time.
    This is an interesting post. You say that Audacity is all you need and yet you've never used it so how would you know?

The bottom line on most of it is finding a good way to get a quality signal into your DAW, whatever that might be. Audacity is used by a lot of people because it's free and it's fairly easy to use. Having said that, there are still things that need to be considered in terms of the hardware needed to get that signal into the machine, and that usually requires an interface of some kind. Translation: "all the electronic gizmos needed for satisfactory recording."

Without an interface, the software is kind of irrelevant.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

yep you are right (trickg)...I don't have a clue which is best. I was relaying what I have learned in the last year or so with all the research I have done. In the meantime I keep reading and watching while my recording stuff just sits. I've been tinkering here and there but it isn't a priority for me which is why it may be taking me so long to get my feet on the ground....that and the fact even getting your feet wet in the recording realm can be intimidating.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I've used Reaper for a while. It's free, no limitations and is pretty simple to get the basics down right away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    yep you are right (trickg)...I don't have a clue which is best. I was relaying what I have learned in the last year or so with all the research I have done. In the meantime I keep reading and watching while my recording stuff just sits. I've been tinkering here and there but it isn't a priority for me which is why it may be taking me so long to get my feet on the ground....that and the fact even getting your feet wet in the recording realm can be intimidating.
    I know what you mean. I started off pretty basic several years ago. I had bought my iMac and out of curiosity one day, I pulled up a project in GarageBand and plugged in the USB mic that came with my kids' "Guitar Hero: World Tour" setup, just to see if it would work. It did. And the sound quality was actually passable - not great, but not terrible either. I did some experimental trumpet recording with that setup, and that was how I got my feet wet. This is one of the the products of that fiddling:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw1azEGbEEU"]Telemann Canonic Sonata - Trumpet - YouTube[/ame]

Then I got a Blue Icicle XLR/USB converter, a mic cable, and a Shure SM57 microphone, and I started doing some more with that - again, mostly some fiddling vocally and some trumpet/flugelhorn stuff. Here is a product of that - nothing fancy, just 2 flugelhorn parts against a backing track:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4nRAlYdIA"]Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Patrick Gleason - YouTube[/ame]

Then I got my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Firewire interface, and I started to refine my recording and mixing a bit more. This next recording is multi-tracked - 4 trumpet parts, snare and bass drum, all recorded separately with the same SM57 mic. It's a variation on something that we used to play in ceremonies when I was a bugler in the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpG3gyRBN3M"]Frog Legs With Drums - YouTube[/ame]

Finally, some stuff with a better mic - this is sort of a rearrangement of a trumpet solo my friend did on a jazz band tune when we were in high school. The mic used is my Shure SM7B, which IMO is a dandy mic to use for trumpet - it's a fuller sound than the 57.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xy55nhYwE8"]Boss Talk - YouTube[/ame]

Overall it's been a fun, cumulative process of learning and acquiring gear. I wouldn't dream of just going out and dumping large sums of money into this endeavor because for a novice, you'd likely wind up buying gear you don't know how to use and may not even need, and you'd probably spend more than you needed to. I think starting simple is the way to go.
    Last edited by trickg; 12-09-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

your recording is only as good as the weakest link in the signal path.

my advice is to start slowly and buy the best gear you can afford, within reason of course.

the software really is a personal preference, I use Cubase and love it but that is because i am used to it.

many of the interfaces on the market come with software, that may be what you start with. Audacity is free as a few others, thats fine too.

i would be looking for an interface and mics, you can pick up a used Presonus Firepod for 300.00 or less on ebay or craigslist.

this will give you 8 inputs, a great start, then start building a mic collection, kick, snare and overheads will get most things done, you can add from there if you choose to.

pick up a copy of Modern Recording Techniques, this is the standard curriculum for first semester recording classes at the college level.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    pick up a copy of Modern Recording Techniques, this is the standard curriculum for first semester recording classes at the college level.
    That's one thing I haven't gotten yet - a good book on recording techniques. Usually I'll do some reading on a certain subject online though, like using compression, which mics to use for what - that kind of thing. My recording environment is anything but ideal though - it's an untreated room. That was one of the primary reasons I got the SM7B - it has excellent side and rear rejection and as a result it works well in an untreated room.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

also trust your ears, if it sounds good who cares how you got it;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Reaper nuff said

User Info Menu

For PC's, Cakewalk has several good inexpensive programs. I use Sonor Producer. You have to have a interface. For drums a 4 in 4 out interface would do. you can get some nice multi channel usb interfaces for not to much.
    Last edited by VIbes; 12-09-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
    Reaper nuff said
    Reaper. Everything that the other guys have 1/5th the price.

The least important part of your setup is the software, once you get into ones that can recorder multitracks and higher rating tracks. Your DAW is you personal preference 100%.

The issue with recording gear is that there is not always a better, just a different. You can find higher build quality, but recording wise its just a different sound with a different application.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

As I have preached over the years your recording environment will dictate your sound over ALL things. Mics, preamps, AD/DA converters, or cables. The fundamental understanding of room acoustics will take your recording to the next level.

Also second vote for reaper. These guys change and adjust the DAW on the fly very quickly for the customers and it has massive features that you have to pay quite a bit for in other DAW. For example Reaper can on the fly sample rate convert so you can bring in multiple tracks at 48k, 96k, and 192k on the same project an it will handle it no problems. My pro tools HD 10 can finally do this but not until a hefty upgrade price on my part.

User Info Menu

I used to be hardcore protools user but since discovering reaper, im a changed man. I might even donate for the full license I like it so much. Its still free. Just makes you look at a popup for 5 seconds before you can start. No ilok needed or have your hardware plugged in as well.
    Last edited by biggyk; 12-11-2011 at 11:06 AM.

User Info Menu

been using abelton live, pro tools,cuebase etc for many years and iv never had a problem with any of them PC and MAC

really its just a matter of picking a DAW you like and learning the interface ..they all do about the something these days ..

User Info Menu

OK:

I will try Reaper. Now Reaper says unable to record no tracks selected? What needs to be done to make this record?

Regards,

MAUIWG
    "The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mauiwh View Post
    OK:

I will try Reaper. Now Reaper says unable to record no tracks selected? What needs to be done to make this record?

Regards,

MAUIWG
    You have to arm the track. On the left of the track there is a little cirlce button click that and it should turn red.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Zeta:

Thank You!