Thread: broken lug

User Info Menu

Default broken lug

Basically the kits getting old(10 years older than me!) and the lugs arent what they used to be! The threaded part that was held to the lug has broken on 3 diferent lugs..makin the head all saggy and loose! Wondering does anyone know of a possible way to fix this problem? :L
    I have tried some fibre glass bonder stuff but hasnt worked properly usually breaks within a month!

Heres some pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7177228...ream_welcome=1

Any suggestions would be great
    Pearl Export,Sabian,Pro-Mark,Vic-Firth,Remo

User Info Menu

Default Re: broken lug

Williamg15, first of all welcome to Drum chat. We're glad to have you here!

Now to your issue. Here's a pic showing the breakdown of all the components of a lug system that secures the tension rod for clarity.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are saying in your post, so here's my interpretation.
    Looking at your pics you posted, I see that the tension rod insert is in two separate pieces, the "nut" portion and the "cylinder" part. You stated that you're trying to glue them back to the lug??? If this is true, it's not correct. These two components should be one piece. The tension rod insert should be able to move slightly when placed inside the lug. Either a spring as shown or a flexible insert like you have holds them in place. It looks like there's a bit of corrosion on the tension rod and rod insert. I'm not sure if you're having issues on a snare, toms or both. Regardless, a couple of things could be the issue. First, are you over tightening the tension rods during tuning? Or, is your kit in a damp basement or environment where corrosion is an issue? The tension rods and rod insert could be corroded together thus causing them to break when trying to tune.

As far as the age of the hardware, I see that you have an "80's" kit. This shouldn't be a factor unless there's a lot of corrosion. I have a 1975 Rogers with all original hardware and no issues. I'm sure there's quite a few drummers on here that have even older kits and have no issues. It all depends on how well they have been maintained.

To fix your problem, you need to get replacement rod inserts. For a Pearl Export kit, I wouldn't think that it would be difficult to find parts on ebay. Get replacements, clean up the hardware and then lubricate the tension rods and rod inserts. I hope this helps.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    To fix your problem, you need to get replacement rod inserts. For a Pearl Export kit, I wouldn't think that it would be difficult to find parts on ebay. Get replacements, clean up the hardware and then lubricate the tension rods and rod inserts. I hope this helps.
    Welcome William
    I would go with what Drummer D has said. Ebay is a god send for spares!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I also agree with DrummerD on this .Once you do replace the lugs etc be sure to drop some kind of lubrication on the lug's threads or down the insert this way you will never have a problem with the lugs etc. Good luck and Welcome to the DC Willamg15