Thread: Tuning Epiphany

User Info Menu

Default Tuning Epiphany

I've made some strides in my tuning capabilities and I wanted to pass along something I have found helpful. I might be late to the party in the technique I'm going to try to describe. I wish I would have figured this out a long time ago.

First off place the drum on a soft, firm, flat surface like the carpet, or couch cushion or doubled up towel on the counter top. The soft surface not only protects your hoops, but helps keep down the overtones of the head you are not working with.

As your facing your drum, square it up so one lug is at the 12 o'clock position, centered on your body so both ears are the same distance from that lug. Tap the drum head near the lug to your liking (1/2 to 3/4" from the bearing edge for me). Now (and here is where things started clicking for me) turn the drum clockwise or counter-clockwise so an adjacent lug is now in the 12 o'clock position. Tap and tune that lug and repeat to the next lug, turning the drum as you go. Instead of going around the drum to accomplish this, keep turning the drum and only tap adjacent a lug when that lug is in the same 12 o'clock position. If you are working on getting a perfect pitch between two lugs, tap and turn, tap and turn, always working with that 12 o'clock lug.

I have found when leaving the drum stationary and going around the drum there is variances in acoustics. This can cause the drum head at two lug points to sound slightly different in pitch, however turning the drum and listening to the tuning in the same room space (ie. 12 o'clock position) the tuning maybe spot on. In other words the pitch maybe perfect at two lug points, but sound off when listened to at the say 11 and 3 o'clock position.

By tuning my drums on an imaginary Lazy Susan rather than leaving the drum stationary my tuning is much faster and more accurate.

I hope I was able to explain this process without making it sound too confusing.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning Epiphany

Dude - I had never considered that before. It makes a lot of sense. My only thought there is that sometimes tuning a lug will affect the intonation on the adjacent lug, but as long as the process is repeated until they are all correct, it sounds like it would be better than tapping around the drum.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Yep....think I am going to "re-utilize" my better half's lazy susan and modify it for my drums.

User Info Menu

great idea and I am going to try it. but should you mark the first lug so you know which one you started with or does it really not matter ?

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Tuning Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by 2gsmackfans View Post
    ...does it really not matter ?
    This; it makes no odds, as long as you've done at least once every lug. Normally one would go round several times.
    Personally, I would maintain my 'star' pattern, testing almost opposite lugs, rather than neighbouring ones, but that's just me. The principle of rotating the drum is sound.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Sounds like a more refined version of what I do. I'll do that next time! Or maybe tonight?
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Thanks great info. Will try it next time. I have used the same method but not the rotation of the drum.

User Info Menu

Gat a 9" lazy Susan bearing base yesterday on eBay!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I got you arefish, I'll try it next time around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2gsmackfans View Post
    great idea and I am going to try it. but should you mark the first lug so you know which one you started with or does it really not matter ?
    i use 2 keys, always start at the 3oclock lug and leave the key on it, so my burntout brain can remember where i started.

User Info Menu

Kinda like how John Good/DW tunes their drums.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wgXSfxew"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wgXSfxew[/ame]
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    i use 2 keys, always start at the 3oclock lug and leave the key on it, so my burntout brain can remember where i started.
    Good idea!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    On every drum, I start with the lug just to the right of the strainer (snare) or badge. That way I never forget which one I started with.

User Info Menu

Loved the video from John Good/DW. Thanks for putting that up wolvie56!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by akillerdrummer View Post
    Loved the video from John Good/DW. Thanks for putting that up wolvie56!
    No prob. I think I like his method the best. I got good results doing it that way. Sorry about kinda hijacking your thread, arefish.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 12-12-2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I have realized this before, but never cared to turn my drum every time I want to tune a lug
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Awesome Idea. The only problem is that I don't care enough about my terrible set to spend my time tuning it.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Imnotverygood9, tune the kit as good as you can. You'll still learn enough so when you upgrade your kit you'll be a tuning pro!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

When I started tuning my kit, I watched several videos but the one that stuck out was the one with the guy from DW. He had the drum on a turntable and that just made sense to me. I don't use a turntable but I do rotate the drum whilst tuning each lug.