Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on Cymbal Care

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Tips on Cymbal Care

I haven't seen one yet (unless i didn't look hard enough), so I decided to make this thread on cymbal care. I'll start with a few.

Storing: When storing cymbals, it is always best to use a cymbal bag, one that has a good protective material, and dividers, to seperate the cymbals, so there is no metal-on-metal contact. If a cymbal bag is not an option, then do not store them leaning against a wall or anything else. Leaning will put gravitational force on certain point of your cymbal and overtime, will cause damage to that edge. It is best to store them flat on the floor, with cloth's in between each cymbal.

Mounting: When mounting, it is best to have a cymbal sleeve, on the stand, to avoid "keyholing" the cymbal, which is caused by metal-on-metal contact on the bell. There should also be two felts in between the cymbal to relieve some stress from it. It is important to make sure the cymbal is not screwed to tightly, this will restrict the cymbals free movement, limiting it's vibrations, and possibly causing it to crack. However, it should also not be screwed on to loosely, this is can also add stress on the cymbal because, it will move to wildly, this is particulary important on crash cymbals.

Angle: Setting the angle of your cymbals is very crucial, to get the best lifetime and sound out of your cymbal. It is best to make sure the cymbal is at an in between angle. If the cymbal is flat, you'll only be hitting the edge, which will, chew up your stick, damage the edges of the cymbal, and it won't draw out the cymbals full sound. However if the cymbal is at to severe of an angle then you also won't get it's full sound, and will make it awkward to play. This is especially important on crashes, hitting the bow of the cymbal with the shoulder of the stick, will make it likely to crack. However any angle can be possible to play with if the height of the cymbal is lowered or raised depending on the sitaution.

Playing: When playing a cymbal "glancing blows" should be used, this is used so not one part of the cymbal is always being hit, hitting the cymbal in a straight motion will only be concentrated on one part of the cymbal, and if that part is played repetitively over and over again, then it will crack.It is also important not to drive your stick into the cymbal after being hit, the stick should hit the cymbal, then be pulled back, like a whip.

Cleaning: Cleaning cymbals is always up to the drummer, however if cleaning is preferred, then there many things to take in consideration, brand, type of metal, how it is made (sheet metal, or cast-metal). These things will determine what type of cleaner is appropriate. Different cleaners will have different instructions on how to apply the cleaner to the cymbal. One may say to apply and then wait until dry, then wipe off with dry cloth. While another may say to apply, then immediately wipe off with a wet cloth, then dry. There are also many cleaners that can be found in the home. Lemon Juice is one, applying it evenly will do the job. (WARNING misusing a cymbal cleaner could damage the cymbal, so make sure you know what your doing before hand). However there are always some drummers who like the "warmer" sound of dirty cymbals.

Again any comments, or additions are welcome....Happy Drumming!
    Last edited by imperialstar15; 07-06-2013 at 02:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tips on Cymbal Care

Pretty cool, man. Everything you said sounds correct for sure. Only thing I have to add at this point is I have discovered cymbal springs. I like the way my cymbals seem to move more naturally now. And I don't have to worry about sleeves or felts anymore. The only thing I don't like about them is the way the springs attach to the cymbal stand. Not enough engagement, and because of that you are cranking down on the threads.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

The hole in the bottom of the spring for mounting the spring onto your cymbal stand mounting post where the washer, felt, cymbal, felt, & wingnut go. The hole in the spring is only about 1/2 deep, so there is only a 1/2 of engagement. So when you go to tighten down the spring with it's tightening screw, you end up cranking down on the threads of your cymbal stand because of the minimum engagement that was designed into the springs mounting system. Looking at the picture, the black housing at the bottom is as far as the cymbal post goes into it.

(2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I hear those springs are particularly useful for chinas where the stresses are potentially greater.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

how do them springs work if you have 2 fast cymbal hits? do they spring all over the place when you hit the cymbal?

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Used to use the springs with an electronic cymbals (pintech visulite) I use to use....worked great for those. I have never tried them on "normal" cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    how do them springs work if you have 2 fast cymbal hits? do they spring all over the place when you hit the cymbal?

Cheers Mark
    No, they spring right back in the same direction that you hit them in a back and forth motion. You have to time the next hit with the natural spring back motion. But it springs back pretty quickly. I haven't encountered a problem as of yet. I like them. It makes my cymbals seem to move more naturally to me. And I don't have to worry about cymbal sleeves, or losing the felts or the wingnuts anymore. Sorry about the hijacking of your thread, imperialstar15.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Sorry about the hijacking of your thread, imperialstar15.
    Dude any helpful comments about cymbals are welcome here!
    Last edited by imperialstar15; 07-06-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Back from the dead
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Leaning a cymbal against the wall will not cause it to warp, in your lifetime.
    A cymbal can be just set on a stand with no wingnut, it cant be to loose, the less restriction on it the better.
    Cymbal angles are much like drum angles, flat is fine as long as they are low enough that the player can strike them properly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Leaning a cymbal against the wall will not cause it to warp, in your lifetime.
    A cymbal can be just set on a stand with no wingnut, it cant be to loose, the less restriction on it the better.
    Cymbal angles are much like drum angles, flat is fine as long as they are low enough that the player can strike them properly.
    You got me on the angle one, that is very true. The height of the cymbal can make any angle possible.

If you lean a cymbal against a wall, they may not "warp" but the force of the weight of the cymbal on one little edge on the the cymbal itself, will cause damage to the edge over time.

And a cymbal can be to loose where it will fly off your stand when you hit it
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

For cleaning cymbals, a lot of lemon juice can get em incredibly shiny. JUst be prepared to use the whole thing, it can cause splotchiness on the cymbal if you don't use it evenly.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    You got me on the angle one, that is very true. The height of the cymbal can make any angle possible.

If you lean a cymbal against a wall, they may not "warp" but the force of the weight of the cymbal on one little edge on the the cymbal itself, will cause damage to the edge over time.

And a cymbal can be to loose where it will fly off your stand when you hit it
    Tons of guys do not run wing nuts on their stands and their cymbals DO NOT fly off.
    In time, yeah sure over many years. As long as its not directly on a cement floor were the roughness might scratch the edge, or dropped it will be fine. Its more likely to be damaged laying flat and something landing on it.

User Info Menu

Tons of guys do not run wing nuts on their stands and their cymbals DO NOT fly off.
    In time, yeah sure over many years. As long as its not directly on a cement floor were the roughness might scratch the edge, or dropped it will be fine. Its more likely to be damaged laying flat and something landing on it.
    I think it really depends on how heavy the cymbal is, if you put a ride on stand without a wing nut, i would agree there is no chance of that thing flying off. However if you did the same with a splash, in combination with a hard hitter, I'm pretty sure it would fly off once or twice.

I just think the best bet for storage is a cymbal bag
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

You arent supposed to wail on splashes in the first place, and besides take an old splash put it on a proper cymbal stand with a normal lenght thread and try to get it to fly off while playing it.

Cymbal tree. but since most of us cant afford nor have the room for one, Id say a hard case with the cymbals screwed tightly together, make sure the case is vented so moisture doesnt build up.

Sabian Factory:

User Info Menu

It can be done, and you shouldn't technically wail on any cymbal if you don't want it to crack.

And considering all the shipments, and deliveries to stores that Sabian makes, how long do you think those cymbals stay like that?
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

my cymbals are standing on their edges for 99% of the time , and have been since 1972, no warping at all .. think about it ,when its standing on its edge ,its only holding its own weight , if they are layed flat and stacked up, the bottom cymbal is holding the weight of all the cymbals. DONT STACK YOUR CYMBALS ,IT PUTS TOO MUCH STRESS ON THE BOTTOM CYMBAL . storing them on the edges will not hurt them.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Ok fine youre right, Im done arguing.

Not directed at you Tom.

User Info Menu

there's a countless number of music stores in the world that are standing their cymbals on edge. I use to not like to do it and still have a thing about doing it for long periods of time. One thing I'm sure everyone does is when putting them in a bag make sure all the bells are going the same way. Sometimes it's easy to forget which way you started putting them in. You can't really mess that up in a hard case.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ok fine youre right, Im done arguing.

Not directed at you Tom.
    Didn't mean to make an argument, everybody has different ways of doing things. That's what drumming is all about after all. It's all good
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Much to do about nothing. I've been leaning cymbals, stacking cymbals all different ways, not using cloths inbetween them, etc. for years. Cymbals are solid metal and they can take a lot of abuse with little to no worries.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Much to do about nothing. I've been leaning cymbals, stacking cymbals all different ways, not using cloths inbetween them, etc. for years. Cymbals are solid metal and they can take a lot of abuse with little to no worries.
    Very True, i just think that going to bigger extents to care for your cymbals, such as using cloths, can extend their already long life, and if not then can prevent scratches, or other external damage.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

The only thing I tend to disagree with is the angle thing. I have my crash cymbal almost flat and never had a problem. You just have to have them at a height where you can hit the cymbal and not the edge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    The only thing I tend to disagree with is the angle thing. I have my crash cymbal almost flat and never had a problem. You just have to have them at a height where you can hit the cymbal and not the edge.
    Thanks! I edited that in.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I tried cymbal springs a few different times and didn't like the way the cymbal moved,especially if I had to do 2 fast hits on the cymbal.My last encounter was with my 14" HHX Evo China and it was just to much of a pain for me to use so I took it off.I keep it loose enough so it has enough to hopefully keep it from cracking.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals