Thread: Show Us Your....Percussion Rig!

User Info Menu

Default Show Us Your....Percussion Rig!

As you some of you know, I'm pretty comfortable playing and talking about being a percussionist just as much as being a drummer. I'd say I'm equally at 'being home' with both, really. So I thought I might show what is in my present incarnation of my percussion set up, and a few little ideas I use in setting it up.

Part 1:
    Believe it or not, all this....

gets packed into these four bags for ease of lugging into the gig.

From left to right: Black nylon sports bag: containing all stands except music stand. Leather case: containing tambourines, shakers, extra cowbells, agogo bells, triangle with it's mount and beater, guiro, cabasa, sleigh bells and a few clamps...strapped to it is the traps table, windchimes in a music stand bag (to keep chimes safe), a music stand (used as a second traps stand), the LP holder for the two LP Giovanni Hidalgo Travel Congas the and LP Travel Bongos which mount above them are wrapped in a blue cloth bag strapped to the other side of the case. Side pocket on opposite end of the case contains: egg shakers, finger cymbal (cut from an old Paiste Alpha Splash, tritone samba whiste, small wingnut for mounting triangle rig onto the windchimes bar, scraping stick for guiro, metal beater for triangle and windchimes. Black nylon backpack: containing two Dixon 8" and 10" mini timbales, cowbells and Jam Blocks, plus a selection of clamps and rods for mounting percussion(Tama, Pearl, Gibraltar and LP), plus in one pocket tools such as pliers, drum keys, allen keys and shifter. Black round bodhran bag: contains the two LP Travel Congas, in a canvas bag nestled 'inside' the two Travel Congas are splashes, the UFIP Ice Bell, cup chimes and other small effects cymbals, 'outside' the two congas and within the bag is the 15" Paiste 602 Sound Formula Ride Crash (used in the timbale set up) and the 14" Zildjian ZBT China.

The left side of the set:

From left to right: small bell cut from an 8" Paiste Alpha splash, 8" Paiste Signature splash (or sometimes an 8" Wuhan splash), windchimes, triangle with the mounting arm bolted into an old Maxwin bass drum mount that screws onto the windchime bar - the triangle beater in suspended on a cord, really an old shoelace! - LP high and low Jam Blocks, Dixon agogo bells, Dixon 10" and 8" mini timbales, UFIP Ice Bell, high pitched Tama cowbell above a small LP and large Mano Percussion large bell (ideal for mambo patterns), an old 15" Paiste 602 Sound Formula Ride/Crash. Part of the front side of the set can be seen - the LP Mounted Tambourine, a 9" Zildjian Oriental splash mounted upside down on the tambourine - separated by felts, one of the Travel Congas and a 14" Zildjian ZBT Plus mini china.

The front side of the set, together with the left side:

Besides what was listed previously, we also see...the Zildjian ZBT Plus china and Oriental splash, the LP tambourine, the LP Giovanni Hidalgo Travel Conga and Bongo set, a no-name guiro mounted above it on a Pearl tambourine mount (held by two old clamps, a Tama and a Gibraltar), below the Travel Congas is an LP traps table with clavés, LP shaker, toy plastic mallets (which are perfect quickly going from hitting blocks to scraping the guiro, etc), cabasa and sleigh-bells. Attached to below and in front of the traps table is an old bongo clamp that I came across when I was purchasing second hand stand parts - it's perfect as a hook for quickly throwing my Rhythm Tech tambourine onto!Also note the secondary 'trap table' on the left and below the timbales...really, it's an Ashton music stand with the top part folded horizontally and with a towel thrown over it, just perfect for my multi rods, timbale sticks, mallets, etc.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Show Us Your....Percussion Rig!

Part 2:

The various Tama clamps, boom arms and LP rods holding up the items on the timbale set up. The long horizontal bar with the knurled surface which has three clamps on it (one of which has a boom arm going though it for the windchimes) is in fact an old Tama boom arm with had the top tilter snapped off by accident...that tilter I saved and now that holds the small bell on the set's left!

Another left side view....a wingnut on one of the Tama clamps also holds another effect of mine, an old rototom "spoxe" which I strike and wave, which has a pitch bend sound.

The two traps tables, showing view of the tambourine holder:

As you can see, unlike with the traditional congas, it's very easy to tuck the traps table underneath the Travel Congas. In fact, if I wanted to, I can lower all stands and have a sit down version of the whole set!

The Tama multiclamp and bongo mount that is now my tambourine holder.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

that a hell of a collection there mate.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

looks great...like to hear it.

User Info Menu

Amazing dude, I've been thinking about buying some stuff like that for my church, I'm trying to find someone for percussion, weird how much of a difference it makes on some music Guess I know who to ask when I do decide to buy some stuff
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

We have a small percussion rig at church. Couple congas, couple bongos, a jam block, cowbell, some agogos and a set of chimes. Don't have any pics of it unfortunately, it spends most of its life in a cupboard.

Also, that is an epic setup there Drumbledore. Wouldn't mind a setup like that myself
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.