Thread: Sabian HiHat Help

User Info Menu

Question Sabian HiHat Help

I currently use 13" AAX Fusion Hats. These are great and have a great closed hat sound. They are also very controllable so fit very well with the varied applications I require.

However, I'm not thrilled with the open hat sound. They sound a little choked to me; as if they are screaming at me to stop whilst at the same time telling me off for treating them bad!

What I would like is an all rounder that I can use to play a variety of styles on whilst also being able to control them. I play anything from Classic Rock covers through to church applications. I can't currently afford the luxury of multiple hats so the 13" fusions will need to be sacrificed. I like the AAX series as they have the cut and bright sound I like but are still controlled.

My current thinking is towards a 14" model to give that wider sound when played open. So, the choice is between:

Stage
    X-Celerator
    Studio
    Fast

I'd be interested to hear opinions on these models. Many thanks!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian HiHat Help

i just bought a pair of 14inch sabian handhammered hi hats, and i love them. great chick, closed stick sound and are really nice opened up about an inch

User Info Menu

Best all-round hi-hats, imho, are the 14" Paiste Sound Edges. Others may disagree, but that's my choice.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Probably the most recorded hats ever are 14" Zildjian New Beats, and their Sabian counterparts are AA Mediums.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I have the AAX-celerators (14") and I think their pretty darn good, I only have a few complaints. When played semi open, they are a bit dry, not like the glassy sound sound you get in a lot of modern rock tracks. I actually wanted to get the HHX model, but AAX was all they had, and I couldn't stand the brass hi hats I had before :P

They sound pretty good, you really can't close them super tight, because they aren't as articulated when closed tightly as regular hi hats (that is the edge on the hi hats is straight and level, not wavy like the X-celerator bottom) When you click the pedal down, the hats give a nice cry chick sound, not the best, but definitely up there in my opinion. I absolutely love the hi hats when you play a rhythm and quickly open and close it, like in John Bonham's half time shuffle. They're pretty loud and cutting too, when I'm playing along to music, sometimes the music drowns out the AAX-plosion crash I have, but the hi hats never get overpowered by the music, it's always the other way around, just to give you an idea of the volume.

I love these hats, the only thing I might trade them in for is a pair of HHX-celerators.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

I use 13" Zildjian A Custom mastersounds but the 13" Sabian HHX Evolutions are to die for!

User Info Menu

I have the Sabian AA 14" Medium Hats and love love them. They are great all around unless you are playing some death metal but they may even work for that.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

I have the AA version of your hats (13" AA Fusion) and had your current hats (AAX Fusion) when I used to use a big kit. I sold the AAX ones and kept the AAs, which have served well for almost 15 years now. I also experimented with 14 AA Regular hats, which may be worth a look for you.

I always felt the Fusion hats felt solid to me due to the large unlathed bottom. That bottom makes for tight, articulate, clear strokes, but when open, anything that's unlathed won't give much of a full, warm wash.

If you're firm on the choices you list, I vote Stage. I really like my Stage and Metal Crashes.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I'll be going to a drum store this weekend so I'm hoping to try a few. I'll certainly look at the AA Mediums.

I'm afraid I am a Sabian man, rightly or wrongly, and, for some reason, I have a block against mixing and matching brands. I used to do this when I first started out; just picking up decent cymbals and then trading up when I had the spare cash. Having said that, I love how sabian hold up to my playing and the bright, glassy sounds of the AAX series. I have played Zildjian and Paiste and love the 15" dark K crash I used to have but it doesn't suit my playing.

User Info Menu

I've got HHX Groove hats. They have a real nice, solid chick and and a good open sound.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I've now had a go with the X-Celerator hats and really liked them. However, I do have the same concern as that mentioned earlier; they struggle with a really tight hat. They need to be a little loose on the foot in order for them to properly articulate. This does make them a little harder to control but the fast decay makes this somewhat easier.

The search continues...

User Info Menu

Sabian HHX 14" power hats! Such a nice chick sound but when the music gets heavy you can handle it!

User Info Menu

well really it depends on the player and his/her ear but to me an open set of 13" hats will not give you back a lot. I've been wanting to try out some 15's latley. wish I could try a set at practice first without buying to get the full effect. For now I'm pretty happy with my 14" AAX stage hats.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I use 13" Zildjian A Custom mastersounds but the 13" Sabian HHX Evolutions are to die for!
    13" HHX Evolutions are my favorite hi hats and to compare i also own 13" Paragon's, 13.25" K Custom Hybrid's (my second Favorites) and 14" A custom Mastersound. The Evolutions blow the rest away in my option.
    Pearl Reference
    22x18
    14x14
    12x9
    10x8
    8x8
    14x5 Snare
    10x6 Snare
    6x12 Rocket Tom
    6x18 Rocket Tom
    13" HHX Evolution HH
    12" HHX Evolution Splash/14" HHX Evolution China (X-Hat)
    16" Artisan Crash
    18" HHX Evolution Crash
    18" HH Raw Bell Prototype Crash
    19" Artisan Crash
    18" K Custom Dark Crash
    21" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride
    18" HHX China
    20" A Custom EFX Crash
    16" Spiral Trash Crash
    12" Chopper
    8" A Custom Splash
    10" A Custom EFX
    11" Oriental Trash

User Info Menu

I have the 14" HHX Evolution hats.I went through probably 4-5 sets of hats to find the right ones. Can usually find them used for around $199 a pair. The bottom hat is very heavy,like the fusion hats. I had the 13" I think AA fusion hats and the bottom hat was almost as heavy as the Evolution one.
    I have let a friend use the evo hats and he really liked how they cut through everything. For me,they are the perfect hat,but others will disagree.It's all about the sound YOU are looking for,but they are worth looking into.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I've got a pair of 14" AA Medium hats which I love. Great closed sound, great open sound, just all-around sweet hi hats.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I also have a pair of 13" AA Fusions and love them, but understand what you're looking for. They do lack that big, open washy sound. I really like the Xcelerator for what it is, but I think that a pair of Evolutions or plain mediums may be what you're looking for. I'd strongly advise not getting rid of your Fusions though. You WILL miss them. You can probably find a pair of regulars pretty cheap used.

User Info Menu

Try AAX Fast Hats. I have a pair of 13" that are very clear and you can get some volume out of them if need be. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Can't comment much on the AAX fusions as I haven't yet owned/played them extensively. I do have lots of praise for the AA mediums, but I thought compared to the Zildjian Avedis New Beats that they were a slight bit more washy and louder.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've never tried a bottom with holes or a wavy edge.....what effect do you feel those have on the overall sound. I know it is supposed to eliminate airlock and make the foot chick louder but do people find that to be the case in practice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dorfmeister View Post
    I've never tried a bottom with holes or a wavy edge.....what effect do you feel those have on the overall sound. I know it is supposed to eliminate airlock and make the foot chick louder but do people find that to be the case in practice?
    I'm sorry, Dormeister, I missed this question for some reason.

I've found that the vented hi-hat bottom does aid the sound when played with the foot. It also makes the effect of striking the hats while open then closing them more pronounced but with a much quicker decay than with undrilled models.

I'ev now got HHX stage hats which are un-vented. I love these hats to death but they are not as loud under foot and the decay is longer.

User Info Menu

Good thing I read to the end because I was going to mention the HHX Stage Hi-hats. They're on the darker side, but very clear and cutting, at least the ones I have played. They had worked for any style I needed. Hope you enjoy them!