Thread: Minimalist Stripped down kits and the music that is played on them

User Info Menu

Default Minimalist Stripped down kits and the music that is played on them

I've been getting into music with drummers that use really stripped down minimalist kits.

Low would be the archetypal example

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQASnN5DKBQ"]Low - Witches (Live on KEXP) - YouTube[/ame]

The Low Lows

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf2SP9CmrtA"]The LOW LOWS live on the Austin CIty Limits stage for INCONTEXT.TV - YouTube[/ame]

Deerhoof

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly9d5laEpmQ"]Deerhoof - Milk Man (Live from Juan's Basement) - YouTube[/ame]

Any other bands/drummers in this vein that I should be listening to? What is your take on the trend towards greater minimalism in drum kits?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Minimalist Stripped down kits and the music that is played on them

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2F7fYVyz48"]Grady Hammer In My Hand Video - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

They don't get much more 'Stripped down' than this.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLwqaAJgFsI"]The Stray Cats - Runaway Boys - Live "Friday Night" 16.10.1981 - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed listening to Low. I am really a fan of drummers with minimal kits. I play with a small kit whenever possible, I find that is tends to make me more creative and groove more.

A band I have really gotten into lately is NEEDTOBREATHE, their drummer many times plays with a very minimal kit but not always. Here a few videos of them. Their lead singer has an amazing voice to they are nice to listen to.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PN-BMHi5L8"]NEEDTOBREATHE - Lay 'Em Down (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixXDZcDo5lQ"]NEEDTOBREATHE Slumber @Spring Arbor University - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g57AaIXGwUo&feature=related"]NEEDTOBREATHE- Devil's Been Talkin' - YouTube[/ame]
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Chris Isaak's drummer, Kenney Dale Johnson, is really good at the stripped back approach.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIhFMe1jZm8"]Chris Isaak - Somebody's Crying - YouTube[/ame]

And Weird Al Yankovic's, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, used to play Al's accordian case (with a few other things attached) in their early days!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkouut-9RQ"]"Weird Al" Yankovic - Another One Rides the Bus - YouTube[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Depends on what you mean by stripped down? Any decent drummer should able to get though a gig with just a snare, kick, hats and maybe a cymbal.

I went from a 6 piece to a 4 just recently as I am really happy with what I am doing.
    Less is more as the saying goes!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Any decent drummer should able to get though a gig with just a snare, kick, hats and maybe a cymbal.
    I played a metal gig last year with a ride, one crash, hats, and a three piece kit. It was, uh... uncomfortable, but I made it through, haha. It would've sounded way better with a five piece drum kit and 2 crash cymbals, though.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Most of the situations where I or anyone I know play are in rather tight quarters. If this is the trend, I would think that minimalist drum/percussion kits will become more common.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

I'm a bona fide minimalist!

What appeals to me about it is this...

1) Ease of set up and portibility

2) Smaller footprint on stage or playing area

3) Higher visibilty of ME the drummer

4) renewed focus on keeping straight good time (which in the end makes the whole band sound better)

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I played a metal gig last year with a ride, one crash, hats, and a three piece kit. It was, uh... uncomfortable, but I made it through, haha. It would've sounded way better with a five piece drum kit and 2 crash cymbals, though.

Guess it depends on what you are used to playing. Try using just the snare kick hats and one cymbal sometime as it really make you think about what you are playing. Good practice too!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Guess it depends on what you are used to playing. Try using just the snare kick hats and one cymbal sometime as it really make you think about what you are playing. Good practice too!
    Oh yeah, I could play most of what I normally play with the band (which is just 16th note double kicking with a backbeat... lol) but when it came to the tribal-sounding tom stuff... well I had a floor tom to work with, but I wrote those drum parts for three toms haha
    - Zack

User Info Menu

My favorite drummer, Darren King of MUTEMATH, plays a four piece with a ride and hats. That's it. He also has the same Rogers kit as me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWp_JHn-I88"]Armistice (Live from The Armistice Tour Japan) - YouTube[/ame]
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    My favorite drummer, Darren King of MUTEMATH, plays a four piece with a ride and hats. That's it. He also has the same Rogers kit as me.

Armistice (Live from The Armistice Tour Japan) - YouTube
    Wow. What a great band. Never heard of these guys, I really enjoyed listening to that.

User Info Menu

Sometimes I see a band where the drummer has a monster set up and he's only playing the same stuff that can be played on a small set any way, including the usual bread and butter beats.

all the best...

User Info Menu

having had an 11 piece double bass setup for some time i can say with full confidence you only need one up one down and cymbals of your choice.

User Info Menu

I think in the end there is no right and wrong set up. I believe your drums, just like cars, houses etc... are an expression of who you are. Some guys would rather drive a Mack truck than a Ferrari and vice versa. It's really cool that we've chosen an instrument that allows us to do that. You can't add keys to a piano or a sax or configure them differently than how they are.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think some of it is fashion,. How many drummers went for the one up two down after Bonham?? A huge kit with millions of cymbals after Peart?

As Kyle points out you should be able to play anything on a one up one down set up.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Sometimes I see a band where the drummer has a monster set up and he's only playing the same stuff that can be played on a small set any way, including the usual bread and butter beats.

all the best...
    I remember J. C. Heard talking about drummers with huge sets that "don't hit on but two of 'em."
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Deerhoof is incredible

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ICO0Ya88Tk&feature=related"]Bill Stewart-Acrobat - YouTube[/ame]

How's this

miss matched drums

very old heads

hh that won't stay in place

broken cymbal

Just add talent !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Ah Bill Stewart!! One of the best drummers out there IMHO He's just so musical in every thing he plays. A small set up too.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Here's a minimalistic kit. Incredible performance this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ospt8g4i-9k"]Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Jools Holland Show - YouTube[/ame]
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerUK View Post
    Wow. What a great band. Never heard of these guys, I really enjoyed listening to that.
    They are absolutely my favorite band ever. Glad you like them! Saw them live last year playing with 30 Seconds To Mars, it was the best concert I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a few. They play with an enormous amount of energy. Darren walks in at the beginning of the show and tapes headphones to his head.

Uhhhh... Yes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post

Armistice (Live from The Armistice Tour Japan) - YouTube
    Very nice! I love Darren King. I bet he goes through ride cymbals like candy.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pelicandrum View Post
    Very nice! I love Darren King. I bet he goes through ride cymbals like candy.
    Dude, yes. I had the same thought yesterday watching the Armistice Live DVD. He starts out with some Paiste ride, and you can tell it's cracked pretty bad by the sound. Halfway through the set he's playing the cymbal with one hand and holding it with the other, then he ends by smashing it into the ground. So his kit was even more minimalist for the next song, and all of a sudden a Zildjian A appears as a replacement. Go figure, also cracked. They're a destructive group, but it somehow adds to their sound. And most definitely their stage presence...