Thread: Can a drum be built in a certain tune?

User Info Menu

Default Can a drum be built in a certain tune?

I am looking at buying a used DW Bass drum and the ad says it was built to be tuned to a C #?

Have only been drumming for 6yrs or so and thought all tuning was pretty much done with heads but I have never heard of this. anyone know how this is done during manufacturing?

I have a question in to the seller but have not heard anything yet.

Thanks

BTW it is a 20x20BD if that makes a whoop
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can a drum be built in a certain tune?

The only company I know of who does that is DW....I think they take the shell, hit it, then firgure out what note it is? Not 100% sure

User Info Menu

I think so too. They are just figuring out what note that particular shell makes. Which I guess would it's that note that would offer you the greatest resonance. But what note you actually tune to is your choice and might not be the note stamped on the shell, nor does it have to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I think so too. They are just figuring out what note that particular shell makes. Which I guess would it's that note that would offer you the greatest resonance. But what note you actually tune to is your choice and might not be the note stamped on the shell, nor does it have to be.
    Correct.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

DW will tap their shells before they go to finishing (for most of their lines). This determines the fundamental note of the shell. Shells are then grouped by notes and grain look to put kits together. The fundamental note of that kick drum while it was still a raw shell was a C note.

You can see this explained at 4:15 of this video.

User Info Menu

I dont know the specifics of it, but i believe they can alter the orientation wood grain to make the drum a higher or lower note.
    Hey Marko, didn't i hear you say a while back that at the Derek Roddy clinic you went to he gave a little example of this?
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Fundamental notes that you hear from tapping the shell are mainly related to diameter of the drum shell. If you're looking for a higher note you'd be looking for a smaller diameter, and for a lower note you'd want a bigger diameter. However, there are other ways to get a drum sounding higher or lower, such as introducing different wood species into the plies.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I watched a video awhile ago, with him tapping two identical shells, same size, shell, wood, etc.. He wrote one off as one note, and the other as another. Tuned up they sounded a bit different. I'm going to see if I can find it... it's been awhile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ciz View Post
    i watched a video awhile ago, with him tapping two identical shells, same size, shell, wood, etc.. He wrote one off as one note, and the other as another. Tuned up they sounded a bit different. I'm going to see if i can find it... It's been awhile.
    +1
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    I dont know the specifics of it, but i believe they can alter the orientation wood grain to make the drum a higher or lower note.
    Hey Marko, didn't i hear you say a while back that at the Derek Roddy clinic you went to he gave a little example of this?
    Yep! Derek had 3 14" shells. One was a "regular" DW shell, one was a X shell one was VLT or something. Someone held a microphone up to them and he hit each of them. There was a very noticeable difference in the sound of each shell.

User Info Menu

They claim to do this, but I'm a little dubious (as usual). I think its more of a marketing gimmick than anything. Once a pitch has been ascertained, any further sanding, laquering, wrapping would change it any way. What do you suppose they do with the ones that come in a little flat or sharp of concert pitch? Redo them or send them to the bonfires? LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    They claim to do this, but I'm a little dubious (as usual). I think its more of a marketing gimmick than anything. Once a pitch has been ascertained, any further sanding, laquering, wrapping would change it any way. What do you suppose they do with the ones that come in a little flat or sharp of concert pitch? Redo them or send them to the bonfires? LOL

all the best...
    I think they are still sold....Not 100% sure, but I think I've seen some marked as C# and some flats
    Last edited by longgun; 12-15-2011 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I think they are still sold....Not 100% sure, but I think I've seen som marked as C# and some flats
    I've seen quite a bit like that. They try to match the flats with the flats, and so on.

User Info Menu

Cool thanks guys, appreciate the help
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

From what I've heard, they don't try to make a drum with a specific pitch, they just find out what pitch it ended up being after manufacturing and mark the shell.