Thread: Developing Stamina (especially with the right foot)

User Info Menu

Default Developing Stamina (especially with the right foot)

As a drummer developing my drum skills and I am often amazed at the stamina and endurance it takes to be a drummer.

I think the area that needs the most work for me is my right foot. I find that this is where I get fatigued first. At this point I use heel down technique with both my right and left foot as this feels the most right and gives me the greatest control. I am not an especially hard hitter . . . neither am I at this stage in my development playing extremely complexly.

So how do you work on developing drumming stamina....especially in regards to your right foot?

Any good program of exercises or books or dvds that you work from?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Developing Stamina (especially with the right foot)

Just practice....get a good metronome and be repetitive....stamina will come

User Info Menu

only 1 way,,,, practice , practice ,practice.... good luck.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    only 1 way,,,, practice , practice ,practice.... good luck.

and a bit more practice.....

Work on keeping each hit the same force
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

One thing that helped me was exercising while away from the set. I keep my heel on the floor and raise the ball of my foot off the floor and set it back down. Just like working a bass pedal only no bass pedal. I started off with about 50 reps and worked my way up to 100 reps. I would do this anytime I was sitting somehwere away from the set. It will help along with just playing.

Also, the length of your practice sessions is a big help with stamina. I started out in 1/2 hour practices and in about three or four months of lessons, I was up to 3 hour practices.

But as far as targeting your right foot, the exercise above along with longer practice sessions will get you there.

And don't forget to breathe. It's amazing how many people will sit there and hold their breath to long or not breathe correctly. I catch myself concetrating so much on playing I still forget to breathe. It makes a difference.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I use the toes on - heal off technique on the pedal.
    So to help me keep fit in the legs, I run up and down stairs any chance I get just using my toes (no heal).
    This helps my calf muscles retain their spring and in turn it gives me a lot more stamina when it comes to long gigs.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Yeah. A heel up with the toes and balls of the feet technique utilizes the calf muscles the most. Which for me is the strongest part of my legs. So I never get fatigued. Also allows more power as well, and I think needs less effort.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

You build endurance by exercising. Just keep hitting the kick drum, you'll build up strength and endurance.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Actually heel down uses the calf and anterior muscles, heel up your using your lower abdominal, glutes and hamstring muscles. BUT if your one of these guys who flutters his toes on the pedals for speed youre using calf and anterior muscles to move your foot and your abs to hold your leg up.
    Basic anatomy, muscles pull they dont push.

Now to build stamina, practice, if you play 3-45 min sets practice 3-1hr sets. Keep well hydrated (avoid energy drinks and gatoraide style drinks), eat properly (pasta 4hrs before show, lots of fruits vegies especially bananas). Most of all breathe properly, muslces need oxygen, dont hold your breath.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 12-15-2011 at 03:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Actually it is not a "fluttering of toes", it is a ball, toe technique. A lot like bouncing a basketball. Honestly, you've got to wonder why some people even bother having a spring when all they do is go splat.
    As for stamina I make up really busy bass drum beats and play till it hurts. I really feel that is important, being a musician has many similarities with an athlete. Pushing the muscle group to it`s limit (don`t let it get sloppy) helps build strength and stamina and also refines the mind muscle link, vital for smooth effortless control.