Thread: Drum Tuner

User Info Menu

Default Drum Tuner

Hey,

I was wondering what Drum Tuners you guys use, and what the best kind is in your opinion? Whats the Creme De La Creme of Drum Tuners?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Tuner

Theirs one or two threads about the firefly, also called the 'Lug Lizard", you should go check them out, their pretty sweet in my opinion.

It looks like this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    My drum tuner is this:

I'm with Marko on this one. The handle is very comfortable and the magnet that helps keep the key from falling off of the tension rod is definitely a plus. This is especially handy when tuning the reso side on the fly when your toms are mounted and it's upside down. The knurled knob on top is great for quickly turning the rod until it makes contact with the hoop or unscrewing the rod and removing it completely.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    I'm with Marko on this one. The handle is very comfortable and the magnet that helps keep the key from falling off of the tension rod is definitely a plus. This is especially handy when tuning the reso side on the fly when your toms are mounted and it's upside down. The knurled knob on top is great for quickly turning the rod until it makes contact with the hoop or unscrewing the rod and removing it completely.
    I do have that key...among others...but specifically I meant a drum key in the general sense.

User Info Menu

So how exactly does this Evans Drum Tuner work?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    Put it on the lug and turn.

User Info Menu

Lefty-loosey... Righty-tighty

User Info Menu

Im sorry, I should have worded my question differently. I meant a Drum Tuner, as in a Machine of some sort or something that measures the exact tension on each Lug as to achieve even tension all around the drum. An example of this would be a Drum Dial :
    http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=Drum+D...:0&tx=82&ty=44

User Info Menu

Lafirin, I think most of us would agree that the creme de la creme of tuners is your own ears - when they have been trained. The Drum Dial, the Evans Torque key, etc. all can be a help, but even using them, you will still need to develop the skill to fine tune by ear.

I have an Evans Torque key that I bought early on in my drumming, and I did buy the Drum Dial about a year ago, but frankly, I know what sounds I want, and I am getting better and better at getting those sounds with only a drum key, simply because I am relying less and less on the other "machines."

There is no magic bullet here, so get something in your price range that can help, and then continue to learn the art of tuning.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

To add to Pastor Bob's post. And I am sure that you already know this. But you would be better off if you learn how to tune in the tried and true method of just using a drum key and your ears. A drum dial only gets you to a number setting that you yourself would have had to set in a previous tuning session that you liked. As PB stated, there is no machine that will tune a drum for you. I would suggest looking on-line for tuning methods. This site has a few. This link is a method that I am using right now which is working quite well for me. It just takes a lot of patience and some time to get it right as you already know I'm sure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wgXSfxew"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wgXSfxew[/ame]
    Last edited by wolvie56; 12-14-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I do have that key...among others...but specifically I meant a drum key in the general sense.
    LOL
    Well, it still gets a good review!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    to add to pastor bob's post. And i am sure that you already know this. But you would be better off if you learn how to tune in the tried and true method of just using a drum key and your ears. A drum dial only gets you to a number setting that you yourself would have had to set in a previous tuning session that you liked. As pb stated, there is no machine that will tune a drum for you. I would suggest looking on-line for tuning methods. This site has a few. This link is a method that i am using right now which is working quite well for me. It just takes a lot of patience and some time to get it right as you already know i'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wgxsfxew
    +1
    "it is what it is"

User Info Menu

drum dial, i need to learn by ear though.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I use a Drum Dial to get to the tension I generally use, then fine tune it by ear until it's how I want.

User Info Menu

That video from John Good is about the best tuning guide I've seen. Sure taught me a few things!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Yes I agree it is a good tuning video and I will get myself a lazy susan for sure now that I have seen how John uses it.

User Info Menu

I also have a Tama Tension Watch. As I've gotten better at tuning I rely less on it than I did when I first got it about a year ago.

There's no replacement for your ears and a drum key. That's it. Sit down with your drums and experiment. That's the only way.

For the Tension Watch...I tune by ear first. Get every tension rod as close to the same pitch as I can then check my work with the TTW. But beware...it's not the be all end all. And the same tension doesn't always equal the same pitch.

THE EAR! is all you need.

User Info Menu

i also have a tama tension watch. As i've gotten better at tuning i rely less on it than i did when i first got it about a year ago.

There's no replacement for your ears and a drum key. That's it. Sit down with your drums and experiment. That's the only way.

For the tension watch...i tune by ear first. Get every tension rod as close to the same pitch as i can then check my work with the ttw. But beware...it's not the be all end all. And the same tension doesn't always equal the same pitch.

The ear! Is all you need.

+1

User Info Menu

Right on guys, thanks for the reply's. That video had some good information on it too. It's been awhile since I was able to tune my Acoustic Kit as I've been using Electric for quite awhile. I think with this new knowledge I can successfully tune my friends Drum Set for Christmas (Secretly replacing his 10+ year old drum heads).

User Info Menu

Right on guys, thanks for the reply's. That video had some good information on it too. It's been awhile since I was able to tune my Acoustic Kit as I've been using Electric for quite awhile. I think with this new knowledge I can successfully tune my friends Drum Set for Christmas (Secretly replacing his 10+ year old drum heads).
    I like to get a nice feel out of my batter head first and then tune the reso to get a good singing tone from the drum. I usually end up being about 1/4 or 1/2 turn tighter on the bottom than top (from finger tight).

User Info Menu

Noted Marko!