Thread: using rudiments in set drumming

User Info Menu

Default using rudiments in set drumming

OK I've got most of the rudiments down at a moderate tempo, I've fooled around a little with paradiddles around the set. The Genre I'm most interested in playing in (beside Contemporary Christian which incorporates a wide variety of styles) is Jazz, or Jazz Rock type stuff. Which rudiments are most usefull to incorporate (if any) into these styles of playing? Do you use them mostly in fills and solos, if at all. I don't regret learning them, since they've been great for developing coordination and speed, but what can you do with them on the set?

User Info Menu

Start with a simple paradiddle and play it around the kit. For example; take the single R and L and put it on the toms while playing the rest on the snare. Work this up to speed and then create other ways to move the paradiddle around the drumset. Spend a lot of time on each idea that you like so that you commit it to muscle memory.

User Info Menu

Learn to swap hands on the snare when you get it down a bit.

Your left hand doesnt always have to sit on the snare. Generally on a standard 5 piece you can only get to the first tom without crossing your arms. I dont think its good to cross your arms when you fill???
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters