Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DW Performance Series Ebony Stain Lacquer in Pics

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Performance Series Ebony Stain Lacquer in Pics

You didn't mess around on any of the hardware! Well done sir!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Thank you for the feedback everyone, I appreciate your comments? Twenty two weeks and one day. I guess that isn't too bad is it? I wouldn't want to have to go through that again, but now that they are here and living up to my expectations I've already forgotten about the wait (almost).

Today was fun. The drums were packed with care and UPS took good care of them too. They were shipped overnight air, which I was appreciative of.

I pulled out the kick drum first. I tapped around the lugs and the drum was in tune with itself. Instead of the 1-piece DW pillow, I have seen, this drum as two crescent moon shaped pillows attached to the inner shell with Velcro. One of them was loose in the drum so I had to pull the reso head off to fix it (no port other than 6 dime size holes). I tuned the reso back up, adjusted the spurs, stuck the little kick pedal hoop protector on the batter side and attached the kick pedal using the DW plastic beater side. I couldn't believe my ears! The kick drum is loud, punchy, deep and loud. I'm transitioning from a 20" kick so yea, this thing stunned me. The 18x22 size seems to be a good one as it offers some punch and some boom at the same time IMO.

I unboxed the snare next. Hit it. Hated it at first. Went to tune it up and noticed two lugs were loose to the extent they could be removed with my fingers. I removed the wires, pulled the reso off and replaced the stock butt plate with a 3-position butt plate. I put the snare back together, tuned it up proper and I no longer hate it. In all honesty the more I play it the more I like it.

I pulled out the 12" tom and was pleased it was tuned and ready to go out of the box. I pulled the 16" FT tom out and put the legs and memory locks on it. Since both FTs have memory locks I got out the tape measure making them perfectly flat and even with each other. I'll only have to do that once so I took the time to do it.

There was a few goodies in the box. Besides the moon shaped pillows in the kick they threw in a DW polishing cloth, 2 tom memory locks, drum key, drill key, kick pedal hoop protector, DVD, couple of kick tuning rods and a few tom tuning rods.

So I finally get the whole thing ready to play. It was kinda tough, because I would position one drum, start playing it, become mesmerize by the tone and then sidetracked.

Maple shells are new to me. A 22" kick is new to me. A 16" FT is new to me too. The tone on the 14" FT on this kit seems plenty deep to me, but then there is another, even deeper voice to go to...sweet. I did a single stroke roll with mallets on the big FT and I was thinking, bring on the thunder. I'm sure these drums can be tuned lower, but the factory settings sound so good I don't want to mess with them yet.

This really isn't much of a review, but my initial thoughts is this kit is a winner.
    Brother, I am so happy for you...I know it was hell waiting that long. Here is your official "Welcome to the DW Family"!!!!

When I bought mine, I was actually planning on buying a Pearl Reference kit...until I ran into my Blue Glass CS at my local Guitar Center...it was all over after that for me. Plus, The kit was cheaper than the Ref, AND, most importantly, I didn't have a wait time lol.

As far as the kick goes, I'm thrilled it sounds that good. Are you going to eventually put a Kickport in at some point? I like the 2 pillows instead of the one big one that came with mine...I pulled it out. Also, I have been looking for a DW hoop protector. Would you mind showing me what it looks like? I'm using a Pearl hoop protector right now because I couldn't find a DW one some time back.

You are going to LOVE playing 2 down...those 16FTs are amazing. And I'll tell you this now...if you plan on gigging this kit out, the memory locks for your FTs are going to be a huge pain. On mine anyways, I couldn't leave the memory locks on and clear the bottom hoop when breaking the kit down for traveling. I find they are really used more for making sure the FT legs never come loose and fall over. But for quick set up and tear down, they made zero sense. What's the point of putting memory locks on there if you can't keep them on the FT legs when you break down? lol But maybe they've changed something in the last couple years? IDK.

I love the fact that you replaced the snare plate with the 3-position plate...I've been dying to check one of those out. I thought that my Super Solid snare would have come with the new Mag Throw, and the 3-Position butt plate, but I guess it was made before those parts were out. The next snare I build I'm planning on using a set of those.

Well, I've rambled on for long enough now lol. I'm excited for you man, congrats again and happy drumming!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    Welcome to the dw family fish!
    Beat ya to it rhd03!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Beat ya to it rhd03!
    BLAST!!! lol

Oh well, he can hear it a few more times!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    BLAST!!! lol

Oh well, he can hear it a few more times!
    Lol

For sure!

We have a new brother in our camp!

Welcomewelcomewelcome!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

You are going to LOVE playing 2 down...those 16FTs are amazing. And I'll tell you this now...if you plan on gigging this kit out, the memory locks for your FTs are going to be a huge pain. On mine anyways, I couldn't leave the memory locks on and clear the bottom hoop when breaking the kit down for traveling. I find they are really used more for making sure the FT legs never come loose and fall over. But for quick set up and tear down, they made zero sense. What's the point of putting memory locks on there if you can't keep them on the FT legs when you break down? lol But maybe they've changed something in the last couple years? IDK.
    I agree about the memory locks on the legs. I have taken mine off of all my sets.

Congrats, again, Fish...Fish...Fish?

You are probably finding blankets and barbed wire for your kit. I don't blame you. Such a stunning finish and bright shiney hardware. YUMMY!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Jeez Ryan, nice pics btw. I need to get a good camera..... The one I have doesn't take good pictures. It's too dark unless you use flash, and flash doesn't work very good when taking pics of a kit

I like the 2 pillows instead of the one big one that came with mine...I pulled it out. Also, I have been looking for a DW hoop protector. Would you mind showing me what it looks like? I'm using a Pearl hoop protector right now because I couldn't find a DW one some time back.
    My Performance kit came with one pig pillow. It also didn't include a lot of the stuff Ryan mentioned. I got a DVD, 2 drum keys and the pillow. I didn't get any extra tuning rods, a hoop protector(which I am curious about btw?), a drill key, or a DW cleaning cloth. Though, when I go to rehead mine, I'm going to bring my air compressor and give it a good blow-over, that works great for getting dust off.

And I'll tell you this now...if you plan on gigging this kit out, the memory locks for your FTs are going to be a huge pain. On mine anyways, I couldn't leave the memory locks on and clear the bottom hoop when breaking the kit down for traveling. I find they are really used more for making sure the FT legs never come loose and fall over. But for quick set up and tear down, they made zero sense. What's the point of putting memory locks on there if you can't keep them on the FT legs when you break down? lol But maybe they've changed something in the last couple years? IDK.
    YES!!!!! I HATE the memory locks on my floor toms!!! I was just messing with them today! It's a pain to get it around the bottom hoop. I'm considering just taking it off, I used to tie little white plasic strings to mark where they were, I may go back to doing that.
    Last edited by Ciz; 12-16-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    My Performance kit came with one pig pillow. It also didn't include a lot of the stuff Ryan mentioned. I got a DVD, 2 drum keys and the pillow. I didn't get any extra tuning rods, a hoop protector(which I am curious about btw?), a drill key, or a DW cleaning cloth. Though, when I go to rehead mine, I'm going to bring my air compressor and give it a good blow-over, that works great for getting dust off.

I highly recommend a hoop protector if you aren't using one right now. It will save your hoop from the pedal clamp. I'm just assuming you aren't using one with the way you phrased that question? And I agree about the air compressor, I've done the same thing lol...works like a charm! Either that, or I use a swiffer duster, works great.

YES!!!!! I HATE the memory locks on my floor toms!!! I was just messing with them today! It's a pain to get it around the bottom hoop. I'm considering just taking it off, I used to tie little white plasic strings to mark where they were, I may go back to doing that.

When I initially set up my Dubbs, I loved the memory locks...but when the debut gig came around that first weekend, I realized just how pointless they were. I still have the memory locks in a case, but they have been left off ever since...and I've never had a problem with the tom legs failing on me ***knocking on wood***. If I ever get another kit that I gig with more and the DWs end up staying at home I'll probably put them back on. I would like to think that they would serve a better purpose on a kit that stayed in one place for extended amounts of time.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the dw family fish!
    Thank you for the welcome. May I help myself to anything in the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by JimboJim View Post
    Congrats; they look beautiful. I know it was a tough wait.

On a side note, I swear we have identical setups: black DWs, 9000 series HW, same shell sizes, cymbal positions...
    Please point me in the direction of a pic of your set-up. I'd love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

I hope you agree everything we said about DWs being true. Hard to explain the pure tones isn't it?
    Yes, it is hard to explain the tones.

Indeed Tell me another thing, how do they comepare to your SCB?
    Apples and oranges my friend.

As far as the kick goes, I'm thrilled it sounds that good. Are you going to eventually put a Kickport in at some point? I like the 2 pillows instead of the one big one that came with mine...I pulled it out. Also, I have been looking for a DW hoop protector. Would you mind showing me what it looks like? I'm using a Pearl hoop protector right now because I couldn't find a DW one some time back.

I love the fact that you replaced the snare plate with the 3-position plate...I've been dying to check one of those out. I thought that my Super Solid snare would have come with the new Mag Throw, and the 3-Position butt plate, but I guess it was made before those parts were out. The next snare I build I'm planning on using a set of those.

Well, I've rambled on for long enough now lol. I'm excited for you man, congrats again and happy drumming!!
    I plan on buying an EMAD reso and EMAD batter at some point. When I do I will use my Kickport and remove the DW pillows. Here are a couple of pics for you. The first one is what I called the hoop protector shown next to the key for size. All it is is a small strip of rubber with a sticky backing. It only protects the top of the hoop not the floor side. The second pic is of the FT hardware. The FT hardware is the same as what is on the STM mounts on the mounted toms. By loosening the clam-shell style clamp, the legs come off with the lugs locks attached and they don't get hung up on the bottom hoops.

User Info Menu

Fish, if I might make a suggestion. On my Collectors series against my judgement, the technician put on an Aquarian SK1 which I don't use normally.

I think you'd be very pleased with the results. I also found between an Evans and an Aquarian reso...the Evans sounded almost nasally or less thumpy than the Aquarian. Kind of tubey, if you will.

Personally I like the Aquarian heads setups better. To me, they seem more thumpy than thuddy.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for the pics. as long as the locks can clear the bottom hoops you're good. Not the case with mine...but it looks like they may have changed them up. Either brought the FT leg holders out more, or made the locks smaller. Either way I'm glad it works for you.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Fish, if I might make a suggestion. On my Collectors series against my judgement, the technician put on an Aquarian SK1 which I don't use normally.

I think you'd be very pleased with the results. I also found between an Evans and an Aquarian reso...the Evans sounded almost nasally or less thumpy than the Aquarian. Kind of tubey, if you will.

Personally I like the Aquarian heads setups better. To me, they seem more thumpy than thuddy.
    Thank you for the heads up on that. I've been meaning to try Aquarian's for some time now.

dave0549jv Guest

hey! you got em! this definitely calls for some more outside voice!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

They're beautiful!

User Info Menu

I highly recommend a hoop protector if you aren't using one right now. It will save your hoop from the pedal clamp. I'm just assuming you aren't using one with the way you phrased that question?
    I was actually curious as to the DW version, as I've never seen one. I do have one, but it's only on one side. I bought it with my kit, after having a bad experience with a hoop cracking on an old PDP kit, I wasn't going to let that happen again it's working well too, the outside of the hoop has a slight scratch on it, but nothing major, very happy so far.

User Info Menu

Have you tried using a Sharpie marker? Use a simple horizontal line for height, and anything that needs to be lined up elsewhere you can use a simple small vertical line. Periodically they need to be retouched, but anytime you want to adjust something you can simply dip a Q-Tip in rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover, wipe the line, and wipe the excess with the dry side of the Q-Tip.

I have a six memory locks on my hardware now, and they are more for emergency reinforcement than to expeditite setup and breakdown. Locks on boom arms never made sense to me, for example, which Yamaha did when they redesigned their hardware line a few years back.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I was actually curious as to the DW version, as I've never seen one. I do have one, but it's only on one side. I bought it with my kit, after having a bad experience with a hoop cracking on an old PDP kit, I wasn't going to let that happen again it's working well too, the outside of the hoop has a slight scratch on it, but nothing major, very happy so far.
    Cool, got it. I had never seen a DW one either and was also curious. The Pearl one im using is a metal plate, but I like this rubber one better...I'll have to see if I can find them somewhere. If I do I'll PM you.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Cool, got it. I had never seen a DW one either and was also curious. The Pearl one im using is a metal plate, but I like this rubber one better...I'll have to see if I can find them somewhere. If I do I'll PM you.
    Okay thanks haha.

I've got this:

Works pretty well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Have you tried using a Sharpie marker? Use a simple horizontal line for height, and anything that needs to be lined up elsewhere you can use a simple small vertical line. Periodically they need to be retouched, but anytime you want to adjust something you can simply dip a Q-Tip in rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover, wipe the line, and wipe the excess with the dry side of the Q-Tip.

I have a six memory locks on my hardware now, and they are more for emergency reinforcement than to expeditite setup and breakdown. Locks on boom arms never made sense to me, for example, which Yamaha did when they redesigned their hardware line a few years back.
    Hmm I may try that.

User Info Menu

Okay so.....I wasn't expecting any packages in today.I was about to go to bed, I was locking the doors, so I was going to make sure there wasn't any packages on my porch. Sure enough......

THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW THAT YOU SHIPPED IT EVANS!!!!!

Today was a good day for both of us Ryan I've gotten all but the snare batter in so far, which will be here Monday, so I'm going to rehead my whole kit tomorrow. I'm going to be taking some pictures too, any one have advice on how to get some good ones? I've actually got a fairly nice camera, I just have no clue on how to use it. The last pictures I took of my kit(click on my sig to see) are the best I've had yet, and they don't compare to yours haha

User Info Menu

Long time coming brother!! Congrats, bet they sound sweet as

User Info Menu

Hey alright! Your set came after a long time waiting, you must be thrilled beyond belief as I would be too. Looks really good, upon close view you can see the wood grain shown off but at a distance it looks solid/opaque. Very nice.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

There ain't nothin' like the first time playing your very own set of DW's . Congrats man, love on that kit!
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kit. Worth the wait. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

WOW! WOW! WOW! I just saw this thread. You finally got them. and a beautiful set indeed. I thought you ordered a 4 piece set. That is one nice looking kit. and the hardware is beautiful! That set with the DW hardware is fantastic. So do you plan on playing them out so others can enjoy them? I think your sizes are just what the Doc ordered. I love that size configuration.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red