Thread: DIY Drum Project Complete

User Info Menu

Default DIY Drum Project Complete

Last summer I purchased and combined 2 Roland TD4 kits and the set about making my own drums using PDP 10" mini timbale shells (49.99 each). Finally finished the project this weekend! My Kicks are a hybrid of the KD9 and the PDX8 snares that came with the Roland Kits. The cones and sensors for the toms and snare I purchased from a supplier in Canada for $8 each and built the bridges for about $15.00 a drum. For the snare I'm using a Pintech mesh head ($24) and for the toms I chose the Pearl mesh heads ($7.99ea). Using Midi and addictive drums with Mixcraft 5. Downloaded the Beta of mixcraft 6 which gives the ability to record each instrument from AD to it's own channel for multitrack recording. This will be the most powerful version of Mixcraft yet! Can't wait for the full version to launch. Here are the Pics... See Part 2 for more...

User Info Menu

Default Re: DIY Drum Project Complete

Great job, they look awesome!
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Great job, they look awesome!
    +1 it does look really good.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Love it! The pdp shells make it look very high end!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

can't help but notice, where is the module? :P

Looks great though

You should check out the Roland VH12 hi hat, I tried it out, it feels pretty darn good for a rubber cymbal
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    can't help but notice, where is the module? :P

It looks like they are mounted on the cross bar above his kicks and below the toms....don't know how easy it would be to make adjustments?

User Info Menu

The 2 TD4 modules are mounted to a curved center cross bar above the kicks. Adjustments are easy. You can't see in the pictures but they are easily accessible and in easy reach. I don't make many adjustments with the modules anyway now that I have everything mapped and my Diy's adjusted to my preference. I use the modules to trigger through midi to my quad core DAW with addictive drums and Mixcraft 5. I'm currently testing the Beta of Mixcraft 6 which allows recording and mixing each drum mic, left overhead, right overhead, room mics, and effect channels in Addictive drums to its own channel and can add independent effects to each channel. It's a sweet version of Mixcraft. In AD I use the Sonor Designer kit with the DW Craviotto snare and the Tama Starclassic Kit also with the DW Craviotto snare. The Sonor I have tuned lighter to give that nice dewww sound down the toms and the Tama is tuned low and heavy down the toms for a powerful double kick rockin vibe. The Craviotto is so in your face and the rimshots will send chills down your spine. I just love that snare!

User Info Menu

Very good job, looks just like a real e-kit imo. I hear those Pearl meshes are kind of flimsy though, how are they holding up for you so far?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I consider myself a pretty heavy hitter and have had no problems with the Pearl Heads. I'm using a Pintech head on the snare and don't have any problems with that either. I play these at least an hour a day and some days for 2-4 throughout the day since I can pretty much play anytime of day I get that "urge" without disturbing anyone. When I was using the PDX8's as the snare I felt that the Roland heads were "Hard" with a similar feel to the rubber pads. When playing for an extended time on the stock kit I would feel some pain in my wrists. Now with all mesh heads I can play comfortably for as long as I want and it feels as close to an acoustic kit as you can get. Since June when I first got the Roland Kit's I don't think a day has gone by without practicing something whether it's rudiments or a full out solo or playing to drumless tracks and my skills have sharpened dramatically. When I had my acoustic kit I was lucky to be able to play a couple hours a week. Bottom line is that unless you have a drum room somewhere noone wants to hear you making all that noise banging the heck out of your acoustic drums (sad but true) so my awsome e-kit was the best path for me.
    Last edited by Timmkatt; 12-29-2011 at 09:23 AM.