Thread: Toms

User Info Menu

Default Re: Toms

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    what????????

Et Tu Atomcorr2

User Info Menu

Very nice Rick. I enjoy watching you play. I like to watch drummers that play with a traditional grip such as yourself. You have great speed, control and you make it look so easy and smooth making your way around the toms. I started out playing with the traditional grip back in 5th grade honors band all the way through High School Honors and Jazz band. But, in my Junior year of HS, I got into my first rock band and switched my grip and haven't played that way since. I am now 45 yrs old. I will mess around on the snare with a traditional grip, but it's very difficult for me anywhere else on the kit. You make it look easy, but I know it's all what you're use to.

Also, you might want to check your smoke alarm batteries. I heard "chirping" every so often in your video. I thought that it was one of mine at first.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I agree with you DrummerD. Rick is a very good drummer as you can see with his traditional grip that he played alot of Jazz in his days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    ...with his traditional grip that he played alot of Jazz in his days.
    Rick will answer for himself, of course, but it would be a mistake, imho, to associate this grip only with jazz. It has been, and still is, extensively used world-wide in all styles, including rock, and is almost mandatory for parade, military and line drumming. Inversely, there are many jazz-orientated drummers using matched grip.
    This in no way detracts from your (justified...) compliments on Rick's playing, of course.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Very nice Rick. I enjoy watching you play. I like to watch drummers that play with a traditional grip such as yourself. You have great speed, control and you make it look so easy and smooth making your way around the toms. I started out playing with the traditional grip back in 5th grade honors band all the way through High School Honors and Jazz band. But, in my Junior year of HS, I got into my first rock band and switched my grip and haven't played that way since. I am now 45 yrs old. I will mess around on the snare with a traditional grip, but it's very difficult for me anywhere else on the kit. You make it look easy, but I know it's all what you're use to.

Also, you might want to check your smoke alarm batteries. I heard "chirping" every so often in your video. I thought that it was one of mine at first.

Thanks DrummerD for the nice words.

Traditional is my main grip. I will switch to match for some things, but, I'm most comfortable with trad.

We have changed the alarm batteries. It is hard wired into the house electricity but, it just chirps on it's own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I agree with you DrummerD. Rick is a very good drummer as you can see with his traditional grip that he played alot of Jazz in his days.

I've always considered myself a jazz drummer even though I made my money with R&R.

Jazz band in college, trio after my R&R days, plus numerous jams in NYC in my younger days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    We have changed the alarm batteries. It is hard wired into the house electricity but, it just chirps on it's own.
    I guess I'll consider myself lucky that I haven't lost all of my hearing from playing the drums. Ironically, I had just changed all of the batteries in my smoke alarms the same day that I watched your video. So, my ears were already dialed into that "chirp".
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

What kind of heads are those?!
    Tomas!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy123 View Post
    What kind of heads are those?!

Evans Onyx over Diplomats to lighten them up a little bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Rick will answer for himself, of course, but it would be a mistake, imho, to associate this grip only with jazz. It has been, and still is, extensively used world-wide in all styles, including rock, and is almost mandatory for parade, military and line drumming. Inversely, there are many jazz-orientated drummers using matched grip.
    This in no way detracts from your (justified...) compliments on Rick's playing, of course.
    Of course tradional is allways been used in the military and school marching bands because there is no way you could play matchstick. I could tell just by the way rick plays that he played Jazz + I know Rick probably more than you to be able to say this on his behalf cause I don't think he cares if I do. Thanks